Why bother with MAD?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Re: Why bother with MAD?

Post by _Some Schmo »

rcrocket wrote: Remember, "your" is a possessive. "Wade, your no tool" could not be used that way; "Wade, your Highness is no tool" would work. See, there, "your" is used as a possessive.

Just trying to help. Tenth grade English, after all.

rcrocket

You didn't learn about contractions and possessive pronouns till tenth grade? Wow.

Oh wait; perhaps you meant the tenth time you were in third grade?
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

CaliforniaKid wrote:Part of the reason I post there is that there are a few issues on which the apologists simply have no viable way out, and when you back dogmatic thinkers into a corner often enough some of them actually do engage in some critical thinking. Her Amun has at least reconverted to the catalyst theory of late, which is an improvement. Dr. Steuss was willing to listen on the Matthew 22 subject, and Zeta Flux at least conceded the strength of my position. It's slow going, of course, but maybe worth it in order to instill a respect for critical self-awareness in some of the up-and-coming amateur apologists.

The main reason I post there, though, is that I find it stimulating to interact with such bright people. However dogmatic they may be, most of them are nevertheless capable of making a cogent point and carrying on an intelligent conversation. As long as you avoid the blatantly stupid threads (of which there are unfortunately many), posting there can be both educational and enjoyable.

Although I'm not one of the "bright people" you mention, I appreciate your putting up with my dogmatic stances, and posting over at MA&D (you too Don, but you already know that I'm a closet fan of yours). I enjoy having you bring about alternate views (like the Matthew 22) that thusly cause me to re-evaluate my positions -- and often realize that my views aren't exactly on a firm foundation.

I know that dealing with me can often be frustrating (hoops22 recently told me such in a PM), but I do appreciate it.

As far as why I “bother with MA&D,” I guess it’s a home base of sorts. I’ve ventured out into other venues, but in the end the FAIR board was the first I happened upon and so there’s too much nostalgia to simply abandon it (that, and I truly respect many of the posters there).

That is all... carry on.

(PS, does anyone else smell burnt toast?)
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

Doctor Steuss wrote:I know that dealing with me can often be frustrating (hoops22 recently told me such in a PM), but I do appreciate it.

Hoops22 has lost his marbles. I have never been frustrated by our exchanges. Your witticisms make the board a better place. And for the record, "dogmatic thinkers" was referring much more to other persons than to yourself. I don't particularly think of you as a dogmatic thinker.