The Phenomenon of Porter Rockwell

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

The Phenomenon of Porter Rockwell

Post by _Mercury »

Why does Porter Rockwell stir up so many giddy smiles and "funny" stories whenever he is discussed among Mormons?

In my experience he is seen as just another Mormon "doing what he could for god". The man was scum, a sociopath determined to kill anyone who stood in Josephs way. Why is it that this thug is held in such high regard with Mormons?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_harmony
_Emeritus

Re: The Phenomenon of Porter Rockwell

Post by _harmony »

Mercury wrote:Why does Porter Rockwell stir up so many giddy smiles and "funny" stories whenever he is discussed among Mormons?

In my experience he is seen as just another Mormon "doing what he could for god". The man was scum, a sociopath determined to kill anyone who stood in Josephs way. Why is it that this thug is held in such high regard with Mormons?

Because he is not portrayed as a sociopath, a thug, scum determined to kill anyone in Joseph's way.
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

harmony wrote:
Mercury wrote:Why is it that this thug is held in such high regard with Mormons?

Because he is not portrayed as a sociopath, a thug, scum determined to kill anyone in Joseph's way.

Thanks, Harmony. Great.

I'll add that to my 1001 ways for milk to shoot out my nose. I totally didn't expect that.
_rcrocket

Post by _rcrocket »

Hmm. Maybe you're just not a very good reader of Harmony's posts. Porter was a thug and a sociopath.

rcrocket
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

rcrocket wrote:Porter was a thug and a sociopath.
rcrocket

Hey, no one is perfect. You might ask why people keep dobermans and pit bulls around or why people go to Ninja movies. Better yet, ask why the French like Jerry Lewis, the Germans like David Hasselhoff and the Iranians like Pauly Shore.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

He was a rough man but don't leave out the history of his generosity.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

Mercury wrote:In my experience he is seen as just another Mormon "doing what he could for god". The man was scum, a sociopath determined to kill anyone who stood in Josephs way. Why is it that this thug is held in such high regard with Mormons?

Probably from the same reason people love comic books characters like the Punisher, Merc. Frank Castle was a sociopath determined to kill anyoen he thought as being unlawful, but people love it.

Think of Rockwell as a lamer, not nearly as well armed Mormon version of the Punisher. The "Mormonisher" if you will...
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Mercury wrote:Why is it that this thug is held in such high regard with Mormons?

Everyone loves the bad boy. Freddy Kreuger didn't do one nice thing throughout 8 movies, and he probably still gets fan mail from women asking him to father their children.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Mercury wrote:Why does Porter Rockwell stir up so many giddy smiles and "funny" stories whenever he is discussed among Mormons?

He fills a role, mythical or not, of the latent desire we all have for preceived righteous vengence. Porter was a good killer at times and it is percieved that he was on the food guys side when he killed.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Wild West Adventure Stories and Eccentric Characters would be my answer. He's got that Samson-style long hair blessing which makes him all mysteriouso.

I'm working on Murder Ballads at the moment (for a project unrelated to Mormonism, an academic book of essays about the singer, muscian, writer and filmmaker, Nick Cave) and I've run across a nice ballad about Porter Rockwell. Whether or not its technically a "murder ballad" depends on how stringently you draw up the genre, but I found it interesting. If anyone's interested I'll look it up in my notes after I've had my coffee and post the lyrics.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered with/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."