The Phenomenon of Porter Rockwell

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Why do people do the same thing for Billy the Kid? Judge Roy Bean? Butch Cassidy?

They are all Western legends with major socialization issues. The West at the time was full of them. Mormons' legend is Porter Rockwell. With the notable exception of J Golden Kimball, the rest of the Mormons were pretty dull.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

The Nehor wrote:He was a rough man but don't leave out the history of his generosity.

Just what we need... a generous killer.

Porter was just one of many characters that the church whitewashes in church history.
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

rcrocket wrote:Hmm. Maybe you're just not a very good reader of Harmony's posts. Porter was a thug and a sociopath.

rcrocket

No kidding. Because I think Harmony is dead on, I thought it painfully humorous.

Man of God, Rough stone Rolling - one of my library books for the past 20 years. A somewhat disturbing read when I was TBM on a few levels.

On a side note:
It's where I first found out that He and Joseph Smith opened a bar in the mansion house while Emma was out of town. I didn't really believe it because I knew that Joseph Smith never drank (remember the story at age 9 when he refused the prescribed liquor from the doctor performing the bone operation?).

At the time, one of my hardcore right winger friends had a painting above the family fireplace - Porter on a horse with one in tow, some dead guy slumped over the saddle.
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

Inconceivable wrote:At the time, one of my hardcore right winger friends had a painting above the family fireplace - Porter on a horse with one in tow, some dead guy slumped over the saddle.

Sounds like the cover of a Louis Lamour novel.
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

The Nehor wrote:He was a rough man but don't leave out the history of his generosity.

Oh come on grape nehi, lets look at the generosity of Joseph Stalin whle were at it.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Blixa wrote:Wild West Adventure Stories and Eccentric Characters would be my answer. He's got that Samson-style long hair blessing which makes him all mysteriouso.

I'm working on Murder Ballads at the moment (for a project unrelated to Mormonism, an academic book of essays about the singer, muscian, writer and filmmaker, Nick Cave) and I've run across a nice ballad about Porter Rockwell. Whether or not its technically a "murder ballad" depends on how stringently you draw up the genre, but I found it interesting. If anyone's interested I'll look it up in my notes after I've had my coffee and post the lyrics.

Ahh Nick Cave. Here is one of my favorite songs
For you Blixa:

Nick Cave - There Is A Light Lyrics

Hey there sugar where ya gunna go?
I'm going downtown Daddy-O
What ya gunna do when you get there, girl?
I'm gunna get messed up in a God-Shaped Hole
Hey Mr Hophead, what ya gunna do?
I'm going downtown for some bad ju-ju
Ya going downtown too, Mr. Gigolo?
Damn right I am, Daddy-O...

There is a light that shines over this city tonight
Let it shine

O Mr High Roller where ya gunna go?
Where the real high-rollin rollers roll real dough
Hey Mr Killer Man what ya gunna do?
Me and Mr Death are going downtown too
Ain't there one God
Fearing citizen about?
They're all holed up and they ain't comin' out
What about Mr. Preacher to forgive us our sins?
Not that carrion crow with blood on his chin
And Mr. Politician can't he lend a hand?
He's too busy sucking on the guts of this town
And what about God and this Armageddon?
He's all blissed out, man, up in Heaven
Ain't there nowhere to run, ain't there nowhere to go?(repeat line 3 more times)
Yeah, look to the sky, Daddy-O

Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine

What are the little kids gunna do, man?
The little kids are all standing around
What are the kids doing, do you know?
They are looking to the Sky, Daddy-O.
Lost in time
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

harmony wrote:Why do people do the same thing for Billy the Kid? Judge Roy Bean? Butch Cassidy?

Not to mention Jeffrey Dahmer and Tammy Faye Bakker.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Re: The Phenomenon of Porter Rockwell

Post by _skippy the dead »

Jason Bourne wrote:
Mercury wrote:Why does Porter Rockwell stir up so many giddy smiles and "funny" stories whenever he is discussed among Mormons?

In my experience he is seen as just another Mormon "doing what he could for god". The man was scum, a sociopath determined to kill anyone who stood in Josephs way. Why is it that this thug is held in such high regard with Mormons?

He fills a role, mythical or not, of the latent desire we all have for preceived righteous vengence. Porter was a good killer at times and it is percieved that he was on the food guys side when he killed.

You mean he was on the side of Emeril, Bobby Flay, and Mario Batali? ;o)
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: The Phenomenon of Porter Rockwell

Post by _Mercury »

skippy the dead wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:
Mercury wrote:Why does Porter Rockwell stir up so many giddy smiles and "funny" stories whenever he is discussed among Mormons?

In my experience he is seen as just another Mormon "doing what he could for god". The man was scum, a sociopath determined to kill anyone who stood in Josephs way. Why is it that this thug is held in such high regard with Mormons?

He fills a role, mythical or not, of the latent desire we all have for preceived righteous vengence. Porter was a good killer at times and it is percieved that he was on the food guys side when he killed.

You mean he was on the side of Emeril, Bobby Flay, and Mario Batali? ;o)

I think Chef Ramsey is a better fit

Lost in time
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Post by _skippy the dead »

I thought of him too late - he came to mind after I posted. :o)
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)