The Egyptian Test

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

The Dude wrote:Nighthawke sure has a lot of posts in the Gee-wiz thread. Did anyone notice her tag line?

"I would lean towards genius, but not the kind of genius people usually think of, like Einstein or Newton. I would say more of a "Rain-man, calendar-idiot" sort of genius where there are extreme talents in one area, and major deficiencies in another." - The Dude on Joseph Smith.

Did anyone notice my tag line here?

LOL

"Rain-man, calendar-idiot" ... man, that has a nice ring to it. Who is the MADboard poster called "Drone" anyways? I'd like to thank him for coining the phrase.

Wait. Doesn't Hawkmoon have it?

Also, you weren't the one who said that are you? Why is he attributing it to you?

"Gee-wiz" thread. rofl.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

Who Knows-

Oh, yeah it was Hawkmoon. (easy to mix up those names -- and remember when I used to call you "Why Me"?)

I said what she has in her signature line, but I was quoting Drone. I wonder if she knows that. Or cares.

This is the problem with signature lines: when you just quote someone it isn't clear if you agree with the quote or if you are pulling a "gotcha" on the person you're quoting. I quote John Clark because I 100% agree with him. I quote Drone because I agree with him/her. Hawkmoon quotes me, I assume, because she thinks I said something revealing or embarassing... yet I meant what I said, so she is simply advertising my opinion. I think "gotcha" signature lines can be counterproductive.

When you see a signature line you often have to guess what the owner means with it -- in the case of Hawkmoon, since we know she often plays the role of a smug harpy, it's not so hard to figure out that it's meant as a "gotcha". And yet I don't consider it as such.
"And yet another little spot is smoothed out of the echo chamber wall..." Bond
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

What's a 'calendar-idiot'?
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

Who Knows wrote:What's a 'calendar-idiot'?

An autistic savant. Here's the steriotypical trick: you give the "calendar-idiot" a random date (like June 3, 2090) and before you can snap your fingers they say "Friday"!
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

The Dude wrote:
Who Knows wrote:What's a 'calendar-idiot'?

An autistic savant. Here's the steriotypical trick: you give the "calendar-idiot" a random date (like June 3, 2090) and before you can snap your fingers they say "Friday"!

I guess you're not one of them. It's a saturday.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Dan Vogel strikes gold

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Dan Vogel issued a counter-challenge to LDS Egyptologists to see if they had the Egyptological savvy to match Joseph Smith's. This is a real classic:

Dan Vogel wrote:A challenge to Mormon Egyptologists from Joseph Smith

Here is a chance for Professor Gee or any Mormon Egyptologist to show us how his/their knowledge of the Egyptian language is relevant to discussions of Joseph Smith's "translation" of the Egyptian papyri.

So I am willing for the next month to conduct a little test of Gee's Egyptological skills. If Gee or any apologist wishes to demonstrate their skills, they may post their answers here. All posts must include the person's real name, daytime phone number, and pseudonym under which they post to this board. If Professor Gee decides to respond, he must do so directly and not through a moderator.

THE TEST

1. Joseph Smith's "Grammar & Alphabet of the Egyptian Language" (G&A) is said to be at the heart of the issue, so here is a simple bit of text that should demonstrate some basic competency. Transliterate and translate the first character on page 1 of G&A:

[refer to G&A page 1or Translation MS #1 for character]

Deduct 10 points if you didn't get something like the following transliteration--

Beth Iota Beth-Ku Zub-Zool-oan Ah-brah-oam

Deduct 10 points if you didn't get something like the following translation--

"In the land of the Chaldeans, at the residence of my fathers, I, Abraham, saw, that it was needful for me to obtain another place of residence, and seeing there was greater happiness and peace and rest for me, I sought for the blessings of the fathers, and the right whereunto I should be ordained to administer the same."

2. Part of the G&A consists of portions of the Book of
Abraham. Translate the following passage:

Iota toues Zip Zi.

Deduct 10 points if you didn't get something like the following--

"When this woman discovered the land it was under water, who afterward settled her sons in it; and thus, from Ham, sprang that race which preserved the curse in the land." (Abra. 1:24)

3. Other portions of the Joseph Smith Papyri contain what are commonly
called funerary papyri. Find on any hypocephali the following words:

Kolob, Oliblish, Enish-go-on-dosh, Kae-e-vanrash, Kli-flos-is-es, Hah-ko-kau-beam.

Deduct 5 points for each failure.

4. Facsimile 3 is often said to be parallel to scenes from other Books of Breathings. Translate the characters above the hand of Fig. 5.

If you didn't get "Shulem," deduct 10 points.

5. The identification of various figures is also in question. Identify
Fig. 6.

If you didn't get Anubis, deduct 10 points.

6. Explain the five degrees of the Egyptian language.

Deduct 10 points for failure to do so.

7. If the missing papyri fragments were ever to be discovered, would it vindicate Joseph Smith?

If you answered yes, deduct 10 points until you can give a probable argument why that could be the correct answer.

He's a genius! You can probably guess how the mopologists are responding. :-)
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_harmony
_Emeritus

Re: Dan Vogel strikes gold

Post by _harmony »

Dr. Shades wrote:He's a genius! You can probably guess how the mopologists are responding. :-)

It's embarrassing. Geez, is this the best scholarship we have to offer? The people who claim that BYU is a second-rate institution are being vindicated with every keystroke on that thread.
_Pokatator
_Emeritus

Post by _Pokatator »

That was brillant!!!

I archived that as fast as I could.
_SatanWasSetUp
_Emeritus

Post by _SatanWasSetUp »

THat was a great reply by Dan Vogel. Apparently the TBMs on MAD don't understand the purpose of satire. Dan's satire was brilliant because it not only pointed out how silly Gee's test was, but it also points out how Egyptian scholars would fail a "Egyptology according to Joseph Smith" test. I also liked this reply from Charity: "My mother used to warn me that we are known by the company we keep." I'm starting to see more and more the type of Mormon Charity is, and the type of TBM household she grew up in.
"We of this Church do not rely on any man-made statement concerning the nature of Deity. Our knowledge comes directly from the personal experience of Joseph Smith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"It's wrong to criticize leaders of the Mormon Church even if the criticism is true." - Dallin H. Oaks
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

SatanWasSetUp wrote:I'm starting to see more and more the type of Mormon Charity is, and the type of TBM household she grew up in.

Charity is a convert.