The anti-Christianity of the Racist Right

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_rcrocket

The anti-Christianity of the Racist Right

Post by _rcrocket »

God bless our immigrants, and God bless the Church for opening its arms to the wave. God bless the Church for organizing entire congregations for illegal immigrants, baptising them, changing their lives, and providing social and economic support. I am gratified that our stake spends resources and time providing decent and clean buildings for the Hispanics to meet -- a large segment of which in my area is illegal.

Damn those racist anti-immigrant laws which our own ancestors did not have to face. We have no moral imperative to keep the children of Lehi out of territory Mexico owned rightfully until 1848.

rcrocket
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Post by _richardMdBorn »

What do you think about Mexico's immigration laws. Are they racist?
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Re: The anti-Christianity of the Racist Right

Post by _Coggins7 »

rcrocket wrote:God bless our immigrants, and God bless the Church for opening its arms to the wave. God bless the Church for organizing entire congregations for illegal immigrants, baptising them, changing their lives, and providing social and economic support. I am gratified that our stake spends resources and time providing decent and clean buildings for the Hispanics to meet -- a large segment of which in my area is illegal.

Damn those racist anti-immigrant laws which our own ancestors did not have to face. We have no moral imperative to keep the children of Lehi out of territory Mexico owned rightfully until 1848.

rcrocket

I now see that what I suspected was indeed well founded. You are no better, no better than Scratch. Don't try to politicize the Church and its reaction to the present wave of immigration-they have not taken a political stand on it-and don't try to imply that the church is welcoming with open arms the many millions of illegal aliens who have committed criminal actions by coming here or staying here illegally (which would be, per the Church's doctrine on being law abiding citizens and honest in one's dealings, in conflict with Church teachings).

If this is the best you can do in the realm of political philosophy (if you wish to call the above something along these lines), then the marketplace of ideas is, yet again, debased and demeaned.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Coggins7 wrote:I now see that what I suspected was indeed well founded. You are no better, no better than Scratch. Don't try to politicize the Church and its reaction to the present wave of immigration-they have not taken a political stand on it-and don't try to imply that the church is welcoming with open arms the many millions of illegal aliens who have committed criminal actions by coming here or staying here illegally (which would be, per the Church's doctrine on being law abiding citizens and honest in one's dealings, in conflict with Church teachings).

If this is the best you can do in the realm of political philosophy (if you wish to call the above something along these lines), then the marketplace of ideas is, yet again, debased and demeaned.

Uhoh, looks like there is going to be a girlie fight!
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_rcrocket

Post by _rcrocket »

richardMdBorn wrote:What do you think about Mexico's immigration laws. Are they racist?

I know nothing. I care nothing.
_Lucretia MacEvil
_Emeritus

Post by _Lucretia MacEvil »

Mercury wrote:Uhoh, looks like there is going to be a girlie fight!

Hey! You slamming girlies or something? I was thinking more like rooster fight.
_rcrocket

Post by _rcrocket »

Coggins7 wrote:Don't try to politicize the Church and its reaction to the present wave of immigration-they have not taken a political stand on it-and don't try to imply that the church is welcoming with open arms the many millions of illegal aliens who have committed criminal actions by coming here or staying here illegally (which would be, per the Church's doctrine on being law abiding citizens and honest in one's dealings, in conflict with Church teachings).

That went by the by when the Church in the 1970s no longer barred baptisms on the basis of legal status. The church might still require that a bishop or branch president have legal status, but it does not require it for baptisms or full-time missionaries. We send illegals out from our stake as full-time missionaries to other parts of the U.S. God bless the Church for treating these people like human beings. Damn those who don't.

[MOD EDIT to throw out that jackass rcrocket's statements I don't agree with.]

rcrocket
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

That went by the by when the Church in the 1970s no longer barred baptisms on the basis of legal status. The church might still require that a bishop or branch president have legal status, but it does not require it for baptisms or full-time missionaries. We send illegals out from our stake as full-time missionaries to other parts of the U.S. God bless the Church for treating these people like human beings. Damn those who don't.

Of course, whether the Church baptizes illegal aliens or not has precisely zero to do with the political, legal, security, and moral issues revolving around the present issue of rampant, uncontrolled legal and illegal immigration and the truly massive numbers of immigrants among those already here who have no desire or intention of assimilating into the common culture and becoming Americans, with all that implies.

Your view of this issue, based on what you have written thus far, is quite clearly purely emotional, and therefore we very probably cannot have a rational discussion regarding it. I find interesting your implicit claim that the Church's entire body of teaching regarding obeying and sustaining the law has been overturned simply on the basis of the fact that someone who is here illegally can be baptized. Nice to know I need not pay my taxes any longer, and can still remain a member 'in good standing"
_rcrocket

Post by _rcrocket »

Coggins7 wrote:

Of course, whether the Church baptizes illegal aliens or not has precisely zero to do with the political, legal, security, and moral issues revolving around the present issue of rampant, uncontrolled legal and illegal immigration and the truly massive numbers of immigrants among those already here who have no desire or intention of assimilating into the common culture and becoming Americans, with all that implies.

Your view of this issue, based on what you have written thus far, is quite clearly purely emotional, and therefore we very probably cannot have a rational discussion regarding it. I find interesting your implicit claim that the Church's entire body of teaching regarding obeying and sustaining the law has been overturned simply on the basis of the fact that someone who is here illegally can be baptized. Nice to know I need not pay my taxes any longer, and can still remain a member 'in good standing"

No; I think my views are based upon two things: Christian principles and libertarian economics. As to the latter, I see no good reason for rascist barriers to entry to the United States. These laws are no different than Irish and Chinese quota laws (which many evaded nonetheless.)

rcrocket
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

By the way, I'm all for baptizing as many Illegals as I and the Elders here can get our hands on--and then when they get caught and sent back to Mexico, they will be members of the Church and can spread the good news there, or here, when they return legally and in the daylight, with full respect for the laws of the land of the country in which they wish to make their homes.