Hey Maklelan: The Fallacy of Possible Proof

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Hey Maklelan: The Fallacy of Possible Proof

Post by _The Dude »

Maklelan-

Per our discussion the other day, do you agree that this quote from Bond... James Bond's signature line contains the fallacy of possible proof (or fallacy of future evidence, if the word "proof" is disturbing)?

"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07

...i remember you said you'd never seen this argument from a Mormon.
"And yet another little spot is smoothed out of the echo chamber wall..." Bond
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Re: Hey Maklelan: The Fallacy of Possible Proof

Post by _Runtu »

The Dude wrote:Maklelan-

Per our discussion the other day, do you agree that this quote from Bond... James Bond's signature line contains the fallacy of possible proof (or fallacy of future evidence, if the word "proof" is disturbing)?

"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07

...I remember you said you'd never seen this argument from a Mormon.

I've heard that fallacy many times over the years since a.r.m. But this quote is the one that leapt to mind when I read The Dude's post the other day.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Mac really has seen it before but in order to fully process it one must not have mental blocks in place. Mac unfortunately views the world through his rose colored glasses of Mormonism.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Mercury wrote:Mac really has seen it before but in order to fully process it one must not have mental blocks in place. Mac unfortunately views the world through his rose colored glasses of Mormonism.

That wasn't necessary, was it?
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

The Dude wrote:Maklelan...

I think he only hangs in the celestial forum, by the way.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Runtu wrote:
Mercury wrote:

Mac really has seen it before but in order to fully process it one must not have mental blocks in place. Mac unfortunately views the world through his rose colored glasses of Mormonism.

That wasn't necessary, was it?

Neccesary? yes. Obvious? maybee.

Mac, like most TBM's does not get the states of ludicrous absurdity his beliefs are held in. To Mac, WE are the irrational. that's all I was saying.

Its like arguing with the retarded when you approach them. The same song and dance shell game is played and they come away with a strengthened smugness, the exmo comes away frustrated at why the Mormon can't see the forest through the trees.
Lost in time
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Mercury wrote:Neccesary? yes. Obvious? maybee.

Mac, like most TBM's does not get the states of ludicrous absurdity his beliefs are held in. To Mac, WE are the irrational. that's all I was saying.

Its like arguing with the retarded when you approach them. The same song and dance shell game is played and they come away with a strengthened smugness, the exmo comes away frustrated at why the Mormon can't see the forest through the trees.

Sorry for being "board nanny" again. I guess I wish we had better representation from the LDS side here. Makes for more interesting conversation. But it won't happen if we keep driving them off.
Runtu's Rincón

_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Runtu wrote:
Mercury wrote:Neccesary? yes. Obvious? maybee.

Sorry for being "board nanny" again. I guess I wish we had better representation from the LDS side here. Makes for more interesting conversation. But it won't happen if we keep driving them off.

Nehor has been "reprezentin" pretty well. Maybee we should clone him.
Lost in time
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Mercury wrote:Nehor has been "reprezentin" pretty well. Maybee we should clone him.

That's true. I really like The Nehor, in case anyone couldn't see that.
Runtu's Rincón

_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Runtu wrote: That's true. I really like The Nehor, in case anyone couldn't see that.

Me too. Nehor is a very likeable guy.

I'm really enjoying mentalgymnist's posts too. I don't agree with him on many points, but I enjoy his posts. Sometimes when I read him, I get the feeling he's really an exmo cleverly playing the part of an "enlightened and open-minded Mormon." Much of what he says seems to support the critics' view more than Mormons. If that is the case, then my hat goes off to the genius of his posts.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.