Batten the Hatches!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Batten the Hatches!

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Mercury wrote:Tighten the sails and prepare for stormy weather folks. I have been assigned a Home Teacher.

Nicks a nice enough guy but after my encounter with the stake president I'm feeling my oats. So, this will be my first home teacher in my two years of being uninvolved with the church. I am a little giddy actually.

Any advice?

That's odd, Mercury. The way you post about your objections to the church, I would have assumed that you exited the church. Boy was I wrong!

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Jersey Girl wrote:That's odd, Mercury. The way you post about your objections to the church, I would have assumed that you exited the church. Boy was I wrong!

Jersey Girl

What are you yammering about now? Go back to misunderstanding someones words and then blowing them out of proportion.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

Mercury wrote:
Polygamy Porter wrote:They are there for your amusement, and their enlightenment,

Exactly. I'm thinking of getting liquored up beforehand

Tee hee!

Nah... If you're drunk they'll just dismiss anything you say as liquered up ranting, no matter how well you put it. Instead, brew a good Air Force Strength pot of coffee, have a mug or two before they arive to get your brain into high gear, and then begin your guerilla assault on their faith at maximum alertness. This way you can easilly see their clumsey attempts at reason and can have a grand time engaging in logical ambushes on there woefully unprepaired patrol of religious BS.

Remember, folks... Debate is just another form of combat.
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Mercury wrote:
moksha wrote:If he is in your neighborhood, it would be wise to not be offensive to him.

Nope, he's not. Why? Should I be offensive to him even though he is not in my neighborhood?

I am going to be as frank as possible.

Well no, being gracious is always a good policy, but you do have to live in your neighborhood so I just mentioned that extra proviso for your neighbors.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

moksha wrote:
Mercury wrote:
moksha wrote:If he is in your neighborhood, it would be wise to not be offensive to him.

Nope, he's not. Why? Should I be offensive to him even though he is not in my neighborhood?

I am going to be as frank as possible.

Well no, being gracious is always a good policy, but you do have to live in your neighborhood so I just mentioned that extra proviso for your neighbors.

I understand what you said Moksha, but I wonder if you did. I'm not going to hold your feet to the fire but I would not have said that.

By partitioning off an area of space assigned to cordiality, one makes the de facto assumption that if he did not live in my neighborhood, I can assign a weighted value of said cordiality.

What is it that the faithful, semi faithful and newly exit bound Mormons have in common: A poorly constructed set of social values.
Lost in time
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Well, if you do not want to visit with him why not politely decline the invititation?

And, if you do want to visit, why not treat it like a fifteen minute space of time to visit with someone once a month who most likely will, in case of an emergency, help out your family?

I'm sure your HT is a nice guy trying to be helpful and doing what he thinks will be beneficial... nothing wrong with that!

Or, if you are having your HT come to have peace in your family, then why not set some limits... he can come as a friend as long as he does not speak about the church, or something like that?

Just trying to help... :-)

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Mercury wrote: I understand what you said Moksha, but I wonder if you did. I'm not going to hold your feet to the fire but I would not have said that.

By partitioning off an area of space assigned to cordiality, one makes the de facto assumption that if he did not live in my neighborhood, I can assign a weighted value of said cordiality.

What is it that the faithful, semi faithful and newly exit bound Mormons have in common: A poorly constructed set of social values.

Yes, now that you mention it, it does make me sound like a geographical Machiavelli.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

moksha wrote:
Mercury wrote: I understand what you said Moksha, but I wonder if you did. I'm not going to hold your feet to the fire but I would not have said that.

Yes, now that you mention it, it does make me sound like a geographical Machiavelli.

hehe, if you say so
Lost in time
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Mercury wrote:Tighten the sails and prepare for stormy weather folks. I have been assigned a Home Teacher.

Nicks a nice enough guy but after my encounter with the stake president I'm feeling my oats. So, this will be my first home teacher in my two years of being uninvolved with the church. I am a little giddy actually.

Any advice?

Your wife and children are still active members correct?

I sugest you be civil and polite.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Jason Bourne wrote:Your wife and children are still active members correct?

I sugest you be civil and polite.

I agree. Civil, polite, mature, and sober. Perhaps that is too much to ask, but it's what I strive for (not that I always succeed).