extreme even for MAD

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

*I'm rolling my eyes at this comment* Maybe if some of the ex-mos. didn't reinforce the stereotypes, LDS wouldn't have such a negative (or as you claim-- "bigoted") view of them. This place unfortunately, has done more harm than good at reinforcing those perceptions. Who's to blame for that? Oh, nevermind. The church is ALWAYS to blame.

Wrong. It's my fault.

Just kidding.

Anyway, which came first, the Church or the apostate? Bigotry towards apostates has been an institutionalized facet since the Church began. To suggest apostates deserve because that is how they are, is just added bigotry from bigots who want to blame their victims of bigotry instead of accepting blame themselves.
“All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it...Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality." - Albert Einstein
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Alter Idem wrote:I thought Tarski's question was valid and so I asked her about other examples she could provide to bolster her claims, but she did not answer me. I suspect she might have me on ignore.

Tarski is a lady.....I did not know that. I really have to get my radar checked out.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Alter Idem wrote:
beastie wrote:
By far most of the names and faces brewing with anger change, but as long as the church continues to teach its bigoted ideas about those who leave the faith, there will always be a fresh crop of very angry exmormons.

*I'm rolling my eyes at this comment* Maybe if some of the ex-mos. didn't reinforce the stereotypes, LDS wouldn't have such a negative (or as you claim-- "bigoted") view of them. This place unfortunately, has done more harm than good at reinforcing those perceptions. Who's to blame for that? Oh, nevermind. The church is ALWAYS to blame.

None of the ex-LDS need to reinforce this stereotype for it to continue, unabated. Why would anyone here be responsible for the continuing negative stereotypes from people who don't even know us? Are you saying they judge others without cause? Surely that cannot be so!
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Bond...James Bond wrote: Tarski is a lady.....I did not know that. I really have to get my radar checked out.

Might be time to bring back the Pierce Brosnan avatar. Is her hubby's nickname Hutch?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
Alter Idem wrote:I thought Tarski's question was valid and so I asked her about other examples she could provide to bolster her claims, but she did not answer me. I suspect she might have me on ignore.

Tarski is a lady.....I did not know that. I really have to get my radar checked out.

Tarski is a dude (but not THE dude). He has mentioned his TBM ex-wife a few times.

Well, at least Tarski was a dude . . .

maybe this isn't the best time to start roundabout rumors ;) For the record I don't imagine Tarski has been, is, or will be anything other than one of us guys.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Bond...James Bond wrote:

No. This is the danger posed by overusing pronouns. Here is what I'm positive Alter Idem's post would have said had he not used any pronouns:

[Alter Idem] thought Tarski's question was valid and so [Alter Idem] asked [Juliann] about other examples [Juliann] could provide to bolster [Juliann's] claims, but [Juliann] did not answer [Alter Idem]. [Alter Idem] suspect[s] [Juliann] might have [Alter Idem] on ignore.

So Tarski is still a man.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Alter Idem,

The negative, and yes, bigoted, stereotyping of apostates began even before the church was organized, before the first LDS apostate existed. Check out the Book of Mormon.

I took time a while ago to specify and justify my statement:

http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/vi ... php?t=1426

Please read the statements made, across the pulpit, by LDS leaders concerning apostates. Come back and tell me that is not institutionalized bigotry, which every apostate knows he/she will have to face down. Sinner, lazy, evil, etc.... were these adjectives regularly and FORMALLY associated with a group based on skin color rather than religious disaffection, there would be zero doubt it constituted bigotry.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Alter Idem wrote: Who's to blame for that? Oh, nevermind. The church is ALWAYS to blame.

Quoted for truth.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Dr. Shades wrote:
No. This is the danger posed by overusing pronouns. Here is what I'm positive Alter Idem's post would have said had he not used any pronouns:

[Alter Idem] thought Tarski's question was valid and so [Alter Idem] asked [Juliann] about other examples [Juliann] could provide to bolster [Juliann's] claims, but [Juliann] did not answer [Alter Idem]. [Alter Idem] suspect[s] [Juliann] might have [Alter Idem] on ignore.

So Tarski is still a man.

Thanks for clarifying. I was beginning to think I was a total sexist for assuming people were men (sorry again skippy)....glad I was right for a change.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

How truly typical that Chaos would quote the regrettable quotes from Kevin, then close down the thread without adding that Kevin has since apologized for and disavowed such statements.

Such blatant deception by omission is truly mind-blowing.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley