extreme even for MAD

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Enuma Elish
_Emeritus

Post by _Enuma Elish »

Dr. Shades wrote:How truly typical that Chaos would quote the regrettable quotes from Kevin, then close down the thread without adding that Kevin has since apologized for and disavowed such statements.

Such blatant deception by omission is truly mind-blowing.

Yes! An apology that did not admit that he was the one responsible for making public the information regarding Ritner’s alleged sexuality and that could be construed to implicate both Gee and Ritner as the ones “pushing” the information.

The hypocrisy here is sickening! I vow to never return and even read!
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Enuma Elish wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:How truly typical that Chaos would quote the regrettable quotes from Kevin, then close down the thread without adding that Kevin has since apologized for and disavowed such statements.

Yes! An apology that did not admit that he was the one responsible for making public the information regarding Ritner’s alleged sexuality and that could be construed to implicate both Gee and Ritner as the ones “pushing” the information.

But an apology that was omitted nonetheless. Such one-sided editing does nothing to further understanding.

Because we see the same things you see, and interpret them differently, we are hypocrits? Somehow I find that a blatant hypocrisy, in and of itself.
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:
Alter Idem wrote:I thought Tarski's question was valid and so I asked her about other examples she could provide to bolster her claims, but she did not answer me. I suspect she might have me on ignore.

Tarski is a lady.....I did not know that. I really have to get my radar checked out.

No. This is the danger posed by overusing pronouns. Here is what I'm positive Alter Idem's post would have said had he not used any pronouns:

[Alter Idem] thought Tarski's question was valid and so [Alter Idem] asked [Juliann] about other examples [Juliann] could provide to bolster [Juliann's] claims, but [Juliann] did not answer [Alter Idem]. [Alter Idem] suspect[s] [Juliann] might have [Alter Idem] on ignore.

So Tarski is still a man.

Thanks for explaining what I meant, Dr. S. Yes, I was referring to Juliann as the "she". While we're on this subject; you said "...Alter Idem's post would have said had he not used any pronouns:" Just to clarify--I am a "she":) I think you knew that, but I suspect since I don't post much, you've probably forgotten.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Enuma Elish wrote:

Boy, Peterson's "investment" in you has truly backfired, hasn't it?

Kevin repeatedly stated, and I clearly and concisely proved by pointing out the English words in question, that there were two rumors--not one--and that the one Gee pushed was the "kicked off the committee" rumor, not the homosexuality rumor!

Two rumors, not one! Gee & Peterson propagated the "kicked off the committee" rumor, NOT the homosexuality rumor!

How many times must this be explained to you? Mormons, anti-Mormons, and non-Mormons all get it. Rats, mice, and cockroaches all get it. Viruses, bacteria, and single-celled organisms all get it. But for some reason, Enuma Elish is the one, single, solitary carbon-based compound in the entire universe who doesn't get it!

Care to explain the mystery behind this astronomically unlikely occurrence?

Wow, I didn't know that another definition of "sickening hypocrisy" is "attempting to clearly and concisely explain an infinitely simple concept to Enuma Elish." I guess you learn something new every day, don't you?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

Dan obviously needs some company during his meltdown and David is more than willing to make that sacrifice. Misery loves company and all that jazz.
“All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it...Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality." - Albert Einstein
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

harmony wrote:
Alter Idem wrote:
beastie wrote:
By far most of the names and faces brewing with anger change, but as long as the church continues to teach its bigoted ideas about those who leave the faith, there will always be a fresh crop of very angry exmormons.

*I'm rolling my eyes at this comment* Maybe if some of the ex-mos. didn't reinforce the stereotypes, LDS wouldn't have such a negative (or as you claim-- "bigoted") view of them. This place unfortunately, has done more harm than good at reinforcing those perceptions. Who's to blame for that? Oh, nevermind. The church is ALWAYS to blame.

None of the ex-LDS need to reinforce this stereotype for it to continue, unabated. Why would anyone here be responsible for the continuing negative stereotypes from people who don't even know us? Are you saying they judge others without cause? Surely that cannot be so!

No, Harmony, they judge the ex-LDS who post here WITH CAUSE--and they've given them cause. They "know" them through their posts. It is part of human nature to make judgements; positive and negative.

I'm amazed at the state of denial here on this board. Please take a look with an unjaundiced eye at what is written here. Read rabidly anti-mormon posts on this board and tell me that they do not promulgate the negative ex-LDS stereotype. The posters who make up this board must take responsibility for what they say and how they are perceived. Stop blaming everyone else for what's been created here.
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

Yes, it was a pretty low thing to do on Chaos' part. He/she' must have been studying Mr. Scratch's tactics. Mr. S also loves to go ferreting around in old posts looking for stuff he can use when he wants to discredit someone--I guess Chaos decided it was an effective tactic.
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Post by _skippy the dead »

Bond...James Bond wrote:I was beginning to think I was a total sexist for assuming people were men (sorry again skippy)....glad I was right for a change.

Heh-heh. No worries - I don't find it offensive at all, or even remotely sexist.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Alter Idem wrote:Yes, it was a pretty low thing to do on Chaos' part. He/she' must have been studying Mr. Scratch's tactics. Mr. S also loves to go ferreting around in old posts looking for stuff he can use when he wants to discredit someone--I guess Chaos decided it was an effective tactic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mister Scratch doesn't close threads before people have a chance to correct him with updated information.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Alter Idem wrote:I'm amazed at the state of denial here on this board. Please take a look with an unjaundiced eye at what is written here. Read rabidly anti-mormon posts on this board and tell me that they do not promulgate the negative ex-LDS stereotype. The posters who make up this board must take responsibility for what they say and how they are perceived. Stop blaming everyone else for what's been created here.

Maybe I"m reading this wrong, Alter Idem, but are you saying that all who post here are responsible for creating the "negative ex-LDS stereotype"?

While there are a couple of posters who routinely use extreme and colourful language (and who get routinely sent to the lesser kingdom), I don't see this is as typical of the majority.

My own response is to avoid and ignore those kind of threads.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."