extreme even for MAD

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Alter Idem,

You are missing my entire point. Of course some exLDS behave badly, as do some LDS. But my statement was made in direct response to Huck's comments. I'll share again his comments:

I think every exmomon remembers the comments about the advasary being behind negative views of the church. It is taught regularly. Now it is true that it is not taught as referring to everybody and not usually directed at specific ordinary people. LDS can honestly feel a sense of concern for people who lose belief and probably know a few who they do not think of as demons.

But of course every Mormon who falls seriously into doubt knows the hell of wondering if you are being torn apart by satan. The fear is visceral. Most of the time people will project some of that fear and confusion back toward the source of the fear. They experience a good deal of anger toward the organization teaching that their thoughts are from the devil.

That anger is not very productive of finding new productive ways of living. I have very limited experience with recovery from Mormonism. I read through some of it a few times. I will be honest. I have experienced the anger expressed there. I do not think it is safe to dewell on and cultivate the experience even though it may be next to impossible to avoid having it if one should develope a doubting line of thought.

Dude, you do not strike me as one being consumed by the anger experience. I am just making these observations to say that the phenomenon of angry exmormons will not go away. Most individuals get over it but as they do, new exbelievers find themselves entering the emotional chaos.

This statement is absolutely true, and has NOTHING to do with any internet board. It has to do with what LDS members are taught their entire lives about why people lose faith in the church. I was taught the same thing as a convert, and I provided many quotes demonstrating these teachings on my old thread I linked for you. Since the moment I became LDS, I was taught that people "fall away" from the church for specific reasons: they never believed in the first place, they misunderstand doctrine, they want to sin, they are lazy, they didn't read scriptures or pray, they let Satan get a foot in the door. Come on. I know you know the drill.

These teachings have nothing to do with any internet board, or even the specific behavior of apostates, so to insist I'm in denial because of my statement (due to misbehavior on this board) utterly and completely misses the point.

ExLDS, if they were even minimally active, were taught these ideas about "why people fall away". Imagine having been taught this all your life and then finding yourself in the position of having lost faith in the LDS church for serious reasons - whether Joseph Smith' polyandry, Book of Mormon issues, Book of Abraham issues, revelatory issues - serious reasons that had nothing to do with the desire to sin, being lazy, being led away by Satan, etc etc.... and had everything to do with simply no longer believing the church is the 'one true church' due to various reasons - imagine being in that situation and knowing that every LDS you "leave behind" likely has these stereotypes rolling around in their heads and it may affect your relationship with them, your standing in your community, and your relationship with your family.

This is the scenario exLDS face. Of course they get angry about it.

I hope you take some time to read the thread I linked for you where I discussed this at length.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com