What defense is there for secular criticisms of Mormonism?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
Sethbag wrote:As far as secular criticism goes, I find that a lot of the secular criticism of the LDS church that I am really attracted to is the kind that applies more or less equally across the whole religious spectrum.

I agree, most secular criticisms can be expanded to any type of religious way of thinking.

There's a reason for this. Religious criticism of the church still relies on magical thinking, which is weak. Thus, religious criticisms will be weak. Non-religious, or even anti-religious arguments, on the other hand, do not accept magical thinking, and demand instead rational argument and, most importantly, evidence. You know how weak magical thinking is? It's so weak that all that's necessary for a TBM to dismiss religious criticisms from members of other churches is to think hey, they're deceived by Satan, and they don't have the hotline to God that we have through our prophet, so whatever they say is simply not credible. That's why a Southern Baptist can quote the Bible all day long to a TBM and the TBM is just bored, and thinking "this guy just doesn't understand the Bible." It's really that easy.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen