Humans are EVIL!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Humans are EVIL!

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Bond...James Bond wrote:I don't know. Toddlers steal toys from each other at 1 or 2. Does this make them evil, or is it simply a primal desire to have what we don't currently have?

In the case of very young Toddlers it's more of a case of wanting to explore the environment whether or not parts of the environment happen to be in the hands of other children!
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:I don't know. Toddlers steal toys from each other at 1 or 2. Does this make them evil, or is it simply a primal desire to have what we don't currently have?

In the case of very young Toddlers it's more of a case of wanting to explore the environment whether or not parts of the environment happen to be in the hands of other children!

What about 4-5 year olds? Are they still exploring the environment or do they just want that damn lollipop that so they decide to take it!

The point I'm trying to make is that evil is a made up definition for things we've been told we shouldn't do. Thou shalt not steal (greed/lust), thou shalt not kill (wrath) and so on. "Evil" is a word used by dead people to scare us into not doing what they thought was wrong. We of course may agree with them (punishment should exist for things like stealing and killing) but not agree with them on other things (punishment should exist for blasphemy). But I don't think that evil actually exists. One person's "thieving little scoundrel" is another person's "go-getter who takes what he wants in this dog eat dog world". It's all a matter of perspective and people trying to placate their instincts, wants, and desires but also fighting the nurture side of "Thou shalt not kill" we learn from our society.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
I don't know. Toddlers steal toys from each other at 1 or 2. Does this make them evil, or is it simply a primal desire to have what we don't currently have?

Toddlers (and some adults) steal things out of a misunderstanding of personal ownership.
Last edited by FAST Enterprise [Crawler] on Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
What about 4-5 year olds? Are they still exploring the environment or do they just want that damn lollipop that so they decide to take it!

General rule of thumb (like anyone cares).

When 4 years old takes the lollipop, they want to play with you.

When 5 years old takes it...they want what you have!
Last edited by Google Feedfetcher on Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Humans will generally practice goodness if given the choice

Post by _Inconceivable »

Roger Morrison wrote:And thoughts on, "man is NATURALLY evil."??? Which I don't think he is by 'nature'. Evil tendencies are a matter of 'nurture' when not of a chemical, nervous-system imbalance, generally speaking.

Ideas? Warm regards, Roger

I think you hit the nail on the head. People are basically good. Much has to do with nurture and other enviromental influences. When given the option to choose to live a peaceable life most of us will assimilate those behaviors - because peace is what it is.

I realize "good" is a subjective term. I would describe it as exemplifying the characteristics of charity.
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

WOW!! So much good-stuff, in less that 8 hours... Gets me thinking: Yeah, the concept of "evil", as we have been Sunday-schooled/Churched, requires a "Devil"--"Satan", "Master-Mayhem", "Evil-Force", etc+++.

IF/WHEN we remove "E-F" from our lexicon we are left with the questions just posed by thoughtful folks, and answers that provoke more thought. The obvious thing: There is no "E-F" promolgating "Evil", IMSCO.

What we do have is the human tendency to be influenced by things both within and out side of ourselves: our Natures & our Nurturers that 'make' us do both good/correct and bad/wrong deeds. The consequences of which cannot be avoided. The evidence is there for examination in individual and group/societal lives...

Evolving through genetic drift and enlightenment...SLOWLY...we reclassify behaviours/activities through changing knowledge, understanding, values, and expectations of the human aggregate... This to me is promising, and counters the Armageddon complex that fosters the erroneous (evil:-) thinking that the "natural man is an enemy of "God"". How absolutely absurd!!

To have taught that concept, and to continue teaching it, is a crime against humanity from a secular perspective. As well, it is Anti-Christ from a theological approach to an honest, enlightened understanding of the profile and teachings of the historical person known as Jesus.

The glory of "God" is intelligence/smarts. Ignorance/stupidity promises no 'salvation'... Warm regards, Roger
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Hi Roger...

I do not think humans are naturally "evil" meaning there is a Satanic force somewhere...

What I do think is that evolution has created a world that is not always very kind and caring.

The goals of survival and offspring has certainly been at the root of much (all?) of the challenges we currently face.

I think in humans (and all of life actually), there is a tendency to move toward behavior/actions that ultimately produce a more highly evolved state, this phenomenon seems to necessitate some ugly behaviors.

I think Jesus and other enlightened thinkers understtod that humankind will move toward a world of goodness as we let go of that which harms each other and embrace a way of living that is beneficial for all, but few get this. So, slowly we move toward a more evolved species. Having said this, I get the sense that there is the possibility of things changing as we see a planetary awareness emerging. I suppose we shall see?

:-)

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

truth dancer wrote:Hi Roger...

I do not think humans are naturally "evil" meaning there is a Satanic force somewhere...

What I do think is that evolution has created a world that is not always very kind and caring.

The goals of survival and offspring has certainly been at the root of much (all?) of the challenges we currently face.

I think in humans (and all of life actually), there is a tendency to move toward behavior/actions that ultimately produce a more highly evolved state, this phenomenon seems to necessitate some ugly behaviors.

I think Jesus and other enlightened thinkers understtod that humankind will move toward a world of goodness as we let go of that which harms each other and embrace a way of living that is beneficial for all, but few get this. So, slowly we move toward a more evolved species. Having said this, I get the sense that there is the possibility of things changing as we see a planetary awareness emerging. I suppose we shall see?

Hi TD! In the same book. On the same page. We (those who live long enough:-) WILL see. That's what LaRouche seems to be about... Warm regards, Roger

:-)

~dancer~
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Evil? No. That's a meaningless religious term.

Selfish? Sure. Sometimes. Now we're getting somewhere.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Some Schmo wrote:Evil? No. That's a meaningless religious term.

Selfish? Sure. Sometimes. Now we're getting somewhere.

OK Schmo, take it from there. "Selfish, sure..." Then, if there is no "Evil Devil to make us do-it" why do we do-it? And, what can save us from ourselves, if there's no "Evil Force" to blame? Since 'that' is a "meaningless religious term"--among many i suggest. Warm regards, Roger