Let's just admit the obvious truth!!!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Dr. Shades wrote:Note the fact that, at least as far as this most recent controversy is concerned (as opposed to several years ago), Kevin never attacked first. He simply posted the results of an e-mail of inquiry, then everyone else launched into him with personal attacks.

Kevin has spent nearly every post since then merely defending himself. Stridently defending himself, perhaps, but merely defending himself nonetheless.

In other words, he didn't draw first blood.

It should be pointed out that for the most part, he has avoided personal attacks also. Kevin merely points out (repeatedly) that Dr Gee and Daniel are the ones that have been maligning Dr Ritner for all these years. Of course, that is exactly what the MAD folks want to obscure, so of course they attack Kevin. Anything to divert attention from the feet of clay their icons possess.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I think what is being suggested is that the standard for unacceptable behavior is dependent upon whether one challenges or champions Mormonism.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Let's just admit the obvious truth!!!

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

I drink Pepsi and like figure skating...

That my friends, isn't only the obvious truth, but it's naked as well (like me at this very moment).
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

edited to stay out of this
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

I don't know how much more clearly I can spell it out. I think the evidence is in your shift in tone from openly pointing out your disdain for how he relates to others to being friendly towards it. In order to establish this, I have to go over a lengthy posting history, select samples, and make commentary on it. This is something I don't want to do, as it is prohibitively difficult. Whether you will acknowledge it here or not, I'm perfectly content to just make the observation. Kevin has gone from hated to liked almost entirely because of a switch from apologist to anti-apologist. Harmony, meanwhile. will be content to call me intellectually dishonest because she doesn't feel I have proven to her satisfaction a comment I made even while explicitly pointing why it doesn't make much sense for me to open up a research project to document it. One of the best defenses of a disingenuous person, after all, is to make that accusation against others who point out their nature.

Of course I understand your point. And I shouldn’t have to point out that I don’t consider myself immune to human behavior. Nearly every time I’ve commented on tribal tendencies, I’ve noted it is universal.

However, you are simply not able to provide evidence that I am now a “fan” of Kevin’s “interpersonal relations” because I am not. He still tends to throw out inflammatory accusations and names. That is what his “interpersonal relations” are, after all – now WHAT he says, but HOW he says it.

Unless and until you can provide evidence that I have suddenly shown approval for HOW Kevin is saying what he is saying, then I shall have to conclude that you are simply seeing what you desperately want to see, rather than what is actually there.

And there is no need to go over a “lengthy posting history”. I’m just asking you to show how NOW I show that I’m a “fan” of Kevin’s “interpersonal relations”. There are several threads going on right now about Kevin. Where have I shown approval of behavior I would have previously criticized?

Of course I’m going to agree with a critic’s stands regarding certain issues, such as the so-called translation of the Book of Abraham. I am, after all, a nonbeliever. But that isn’t what you’re accusing me of right now, is it?

You are making a very specific accusation. You are not saying that now I agree with Kevin’s stands – you are saying that I now approve of his “interpersonal relations”.

So I’m asking you to provide some evidence of that approval. Does this thread provide evidence of that approval of Kevin’s “interpersonal relations”, for example?

And, by the way, I’ve never expressed “hatred” of people due to their posting style. Perhaps you are projecting your own sentiments.

(regarding Ray's sig line - he has now changed it, I just checked. He was sporting Scratch's statement that "Ray A was a huge hypocrite", lifted from a thread here, and that statement, in context, said that if Ray A was posting as ALITD, he would be a huge hypocrite. Given that context, he seemed to be admitting that he was posting as ALITD.)
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com