New Book of Mormon Evidence!!!!!!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

moksha wrote:Is there any evidence to show that these mastodons were not in fact time travelers, who could have appeared to the Nephites?

I'm more inclined to think that the Nephite's ship went through a time portal and the Nephites lived 200,000 some-odd years ago and didn't know it. The Jaredites hit an earlier time portal obviously. Have to admit this explanation covers everything :)
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Worm holes could explain a lot. In fact a more science fiction-esque scenario would go along way toward reconciling the "supernatural" and "rational" in all Book of Mormon/Book of Abraham explanations...

I've always thought Mormonism should work this angle more; too bad Scientology has tarnished this approach...
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

Blixa wrote:Worm holes could explain a lot. In fact a more science fiction-esque scenario would go along way toward reconciling the "supernatural" and "rational" in all Book of Mormon/Book of Abraham explanations...

I've always thought Mormonism should work this angle more; too bad Scientology has tarnished this approach...

The other problem with adding sci-fi elements is that the Scientologists might see it as infringing on their franchise and get sue happy...

Or, they might revive the spirit of El-Ron, house it in a robot body and send it to do battle with the Mormon's Mecha-Joseph Smith in an epic battle to decide which si the king of hokey religions.
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Or, they might revive the spirit of El-Ron, house it in a robot body and send it to do battle with the Mormon's Mecha-Joseph Smith in an epic battle to decide which si the king of hokey religions.

This is a scenario I find most attractive. In fact, it gives me an idea for an artwork...Transformers as metaphor for continuing revelation, Book of Mormon battles as crude stop-motion animation, not to mention the whole readymade Battlestar Galactica Kobol/Kolob connection and Kimball/Yoda.

If only Orson Scott Card had a sense of humor and wasn't such a 'phobe...

Man, the Mormon PR machine should have hooked up with Studio Ghibli a long time ago...
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

Speaking of cartoons... A little something from Zippy...

Oh, that Zippy....
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Coggins7 wrote:The earth is 6,000 years old from the fall of Adam, and that part of the earth's temporal existence is the only part of it that really concerns LDS doctrine regarding salvation and the mortal probation.

But LDS doctrine says that there was no death until the fall of Adam. How does that square with the 4.5 billion year-old earth paradigm?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Coggins7 wrote:The earth is 6,000 years old from the fall of Adam, and that part of the earth's temporal existence is the only part of it that really concerns LDS doctrine regarding salvation and the mortal probation.

But LDS doctrine says that there was no death until the fall of Adam. How does that square with the 4.5 billion year-old earth paradigm?

You just reminded me of the BYU religion professor who explained the existance of dinosaurs to us. Apparently, he said, lizards never stop growing until the day they die. Hence, since Adam was obviously in the garden for millions of years, these lizards just kept growing and growing until they got really, really big.

Even as a TBM I thought that was the stupidest thing I had ever heard.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

Runtu wrote:You just reminded me of the BYU religion professor who explained the existance of dinosaurs to us. Apparently, he said, lizards never stop growing until the day they die. Hence, since Adam was obviously in the garden for millions of years, these lizards just kept growing and growing until they got really, really big.

LOL
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Runtu wrote:You just reminded me of the BYU religion professor who explained the existance of dinosaurs to us. Apparently, he said, lizards never stop growing until the day they die. Hence, since Adam was obviously in the garden for millions of years, these lizards just kept growing and growing until they got really, really big.

That is funny :)
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

The Nehor wrote:That is funny :)

The odd thing was that it was Missionary Preparation class. We hardly ever talked about missionary work but focused on such important things as big lizards and the medicinal qualities of cayenne pepper. Really a bizarre class. My cousin, who was in the class with me, leaned over one day during one of the professor's monologues and said, "I can't believe we paid tuition for this."
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington