John Larsen on Mormon Stories

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Craig Paxton
Star A

John Larsen on Mormon Stories

Post by Craig Paxton »

It's been a long time since I've laughed this hard. Larson is brilliant on MS as he goes through the evolution of racism baked into church scripture and doctrine. He takes us through a detailed ride from the very earliest introduction of this racist doctrine through to its eventual lifting of the ban. He also explains why the church is still culpable for their racist past by refusing to take accountability for the racism within their scriptures.

I highly recommended this episode to anyone interested in a detailed study of LDS racism and the doctrine of Cain in LDS scripture. it was a fun hilarious ride as only John Larson can do.
"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
drumdude
God

Re: John Larsen on Mormon Stories

Post by drumdude »

I have to take issue with something John Dehlin said. He claimed only a couple people care about Dan Peterson and John Gee, the 12 of us here on this forum presumably.

I know Dehlin wants to belittle Peterson as much as possible given their history, but it comes across as wishful thinking. I don’t think most chapel Mormons know about Terrel Givens, or Richard Bushman. They don’t know about Dan Peterson or John Gee either. But they know much more about Peterson’s apologetic arguments than Givens.

The tithe paying Mormons, It seems to me, are completely unaware of Terrel Givens and Richard Bushman. I think they are mostly good old boys/women who still believe all the same doctrine and apologetic arguments that Peterson and Gee believe.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Craig Paxton wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:55 pm
I highly recommended this episode to anyone interested in a detailed study of LDS racism and the doctrine of Cain in LDS scripture. it was a fun hilarious ride as only John Larson can do.
Umm, . . . link?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Craig Paxton
Star A

Post by Craig Paxton »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:36 am
Craig Paxton wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:55 pm
Umm, . . . link?
https://www.mormonstories.org/podcast/t ... hn-larsen/
"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I got 40 minutes into it, but its late. So far it is really GOOD! Looking forward to finishing this one.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Has BYU ever pursued any racial curse studies? If not, does that signify the regard that Mormon academics place on these LDS scriptures?

This was a dynamic podcast on the order of Kerry Shirt's interview, but with more repetition.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace