Exmormon Foundation Conference

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dianne Ormond
_Emeritus

Re: Exmormon Foundation Conference

Post by _Dianne Ormond »

Smile! We do not discriminate based on creed, color, gender, etc, unlike some other organizations we have known. Smile!
Dianne Ormond
MormonThink.com
_collegeterrace
_Emeritus

Post by _collegeterrace »

solomarineris wrote:
The Nehor wrote:Just to be clear....there will be no attacks by Danite suicide bombers that night.
It's perfectly safe. :)

Don't worry they are their worst enemy...
They claim not to be a RFM clown (over 90%. of people attend are RFM clowns).
The bad thing is RFM is run by a pair of paranoid folks who exhibit the symptoms of paranoia & Werfolgungswahn.
They do piss off lots of good people. Their problem (in a nutshell) is total control & censorship.
But they are not even close to reach MAD&d's standards though.
Anyway, you reap, what you sow....
Shady Acres was born right in the middle of these two boards.

The MA&D house is afraid of the LDS cult losing members due to certain posters and RfM is afraid of the LDS church retaining members due to certain posters.

Over here at Shady Acres, the good Doc could not care less where or what you end up.
... our church isn't true, but we have to keep up appearances so we don't get shunned by our friends and family, fired from our jobs, kicked out of our homes, ... Please don't tell on me. ~maklelan
_LifeOnaPlate
_Emeritus

Post by _LifeOnaPlate »

Dianne Ormond wrote:But they are not even close to reach MAD&d's standards though.

I certainly hope not. Our standards for evidence, verification, and critical thinking are much higher.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to throw the BS flag on that one. I know you'll disagree, but one good bald assertion deserves another! ;)

One moment in annihilation's waste,
one moment, of the well of life to taste-
The stars are setting and the caravan
starts for the dawn of nothing; Oh, make haste!

-Omar Khayaam

*Be on the lookout for the forthcoming album from Jiminy Finn and the Moneydiggers.*
_Dianne Ormond
_Emeritus

Post by _Dianne Ormond »

Okay then, back up your BS to me and all the questioning members mentioned on your blog. Show me some evidence.
Show me one Lamanite (what happened to BYUs Lamanite Generation?).
Show me one credible Nephite artifact.
Show me one horse or elephant fossil during Book of Mormon times. Careful on this one, as Daniel Peterson's claim in the FAIR DVD has been debunked. Tapir and deer don't count.
Show me: one qualified non-Mormon Egyptologist that supports Joseph Smith's interpretation of the papyri
Israelite DNA instead of excuses for its absence. And if you quote the Scott Woodward Des News article, don't forget his disclaimer that additional evidence may show post-Columbian insertion.
durable pollen grains of wheat, figs, grapes, or flax during Book of Mormon times
the remains of Zarahemla or Manti
slag heap remains of steel smelting
silk instead of rabbit fur
evidence of a global Noachian flood
linguistic evidence of Hebrew or Egyptian in the Western Hemisphere
evidence of Nephite/Lamanite civilizations numbering in the millions

And for every assertion, be prepared to back it up with credible, non-apologetic, unbiased science, because I've done my scientific homework, and I'll challenge you every step of the way with the credible, non-apologetic, unbiased science that proves you are wrong.

You know what, don't waste your time. I've read the extremely weak apologetics on these things, and the REAL scientific evidence. You'll refer me to the usual FAIR and FARMS nonsense I've already read, and I'll refer you to unbiased science books and Beastie's site www.mormonmesoamerica.com. I double checked on the apologetics already, such as writing to the scientist that Bill Hamblin quoted, only to be told by the scientist that Hamblin's use of the scientist's work was spurious.
I read the book referenced by Peterson and Hamblin in their astro-whatever article with the faith-promoting spin, and Krupp, the scientist, clearly states that all religions are man-made to keep rulers in power, completely opposite of the spin Peterson and Hamblin gave it.
The apologists should be ashamed of the twisting of scientists' work that apologists perform.
The pretzel thinking required to maintain belief is unbelievable, especially considering the vast amount of evidence against you and the non-existence of evidence for you.
“There's a difference between faith in an area where the evidence is lacking, and denial in an area where the evidence is copious but against you.” –Baura
Like I said, I require a higher standard of evidence, verification, and critical thinking than at MADB.
Your experience may differ.
Check out my favorite site at http://www.MormonThink.com
Last edited by Guest on Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dianne Ormond
MormonThink.com
_collegeterrace
_Emeritus

Post by _collegeterrace »

Dianne,

Thanks for posting here.

The defending Mormons on this and yonder board posses one thing that you and I do not.

Nope, not the warm fuzzies from casper the friendly and holy ghost.

They all have an explicit need to believe, which fuels the warm fuzzies and keeps the cog-dis cap cinched down tight on their empty skulls.

Look at the laughable pseudo research by the top Mormon scholars and apologists from FARMS/MI. The majority of their reports end with a frigging testiphony that the conclusions they have come to are true and this truth was testified by the one and only holy ghost!

Is it any wonder why Daniel C. Peterson admitted that his own research is largely ignored by the secular world?
... our church isn't true, but we have to keep up appearances so we don't get shunned by our friends and family, fired from our jobs, kicked out of our homes, ... Please don't tell on me. ~maklelan
_Chad (Swedeboy) Spjut
_Emeritus

Post by _Chad (Swedeboy) Spjut »

Dianne Ormond wrote:Okay then, back up your BS to me and all the questioning members mentioned on your blog. Show me some evidence.
Show me one Lamanite (what happened to BYUs Lamanite Generation?).
Show me one credible Nephite artifact.
Show me one horse or elephant fossil during Book of Mormon times. Careful on this one, as Daniel Peterson's claim in the FAIR DVD has been debunked. Tapir and deer don't count.
Show me: one qualified non-Mormon Egyptologist that supports Joseph Smith's interpretation of the papyri
Israelite DNA instead of excuses for its absence. And if you quote the Scott Woodward Des News article, don't forget his disclaimer that additional evidence may show post-Columbian insertion.
durable pollen grains of wheat, figs, grapes, or flax during Book of Mormon times
the remains of Zarahemla or Manti
slag heap remains of steel smelting
silk instead of rabbit fur
evidence of a global Noachian flood
linguistic evidence of Hebrew or Egyptian in the Western Hemisphere
evidence of Nephite/Lamanite civilizations numbering in the millions

And for every assertion, be prepared to back it up with credible, non-apologetic, unbiased science, because I've done my scientific homework, and I'll challenge you every step of the way with the credible, non-apologetic, unbiased science that proves you are wrong.

You know what, don't waste your time. I've read the extremely weak apologetics on these things, and the REAL scientific evidence. You'll refer me to the usual FAIR and FARMS nonsense I've already read, and I'll refer you to unbiased science books and Blixa's site. I double checked on the apologetics already, such as writing to the scientist that Bill Hamblin quoted, only to be told by the scientist that Hamblin's use of the scientist's work was spurious.
I read the book referenced by Peterson and Hamblin in their astro-whatever article with the faith-promoting spin, and Krupp, the scientist, clearly states that all religions are man-made to keep rulers in power, completely opposite of the spin Peterson and Hamblin gave it.
The apologists should be ashamed of the twisting of scientists' work that apologists perform.
The pretzel thinking required to maintain belief is unbelievable, especially considering the vast amount of evidence against you and the non-existence of evidence for you.
“There's a difference between faith in an area where the evidence is lacking, and denial in an area where the evidence is copious but against you.” –Baura
Like I said, I require a higher standard of evidence, verification, and critical thinking than at MADB.
Your experience may differ.
Check out my favorite site at http://www.MormonThink.com

I love this woman. Ahhh, the power of objective research supported by actual, verifiable facts! Something we never had as Mormons. Mormons, this is YOUR religion, these are YOUR claims, and the onus is on you to back them up. Pulling things out of your ass or thin air with a hint of plausibility will not do it, it never has worked, and it never will for those truly interested in the reality in which we live. We are all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts. All the best to you in your research. -Chad
Überzeugungen sind oft die gefährlichsten Feinde der Wahrheit.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

[Certainty (that one is correct) is often the most dangerous enemy of the truth.]
_OMWO2
_Emeritus

Post by _OMWO2 »

LifeOnaPlate wrote:That's a pretty high ticket price in my opinion.
LoaP - I would gladly pay for your ticket if you want to go. After all, I got a 10% pay increase 2 1/2 years ago with Sunday's off!
"The only thing I KNOW is that I don't know"

"Only one thing has to change for us to know happiness in our lives: where we focus our attention." Greg Anderson
_Pokatator
_Emeritus

Post by _Pokatator »

Dianne Here is one great big WELCOME to the board.

I have wanted to go to the exmo conference for the last several years. I don't have a good excuse like Larson, I live near Pocatello, Idaho, not far at all. My excuse is that it usually occurs during harvest time or conflicts with my hunting. If I skipped hunting and my yearly impulses to kill something and found myself in SLC, well who knows what might happen. (Just kidding)

If the timing ever works out I will be there. It would be kick to meet some other exmos. Putting names to faces is always good. For example, in the recent thread about the unFAIR conference the home video did exactly that put some names with faces. It is interesting. I always pictured Juliann as looking like Nurse Cratchet. After seeing her look basically normal like some my siblings or cousins I can only think that if my grandmother was alive she would make her sit in a corner with a bar of soap in her mouth. Anyway I would love meet you Dianne, sometime in the future it may happen.

Thanx for blessing us by visiting us here, hope you stick around.

Pokatator
I think it would be morally right to lie about your religion to edit the article favorably.
bcspace
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Chad, did you ever live in Texas? I knew someone by your name growing up.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Dianne Ormond
_Emeritus

Post by _Dianne Ormond »

Pokatator, hope you can make it. We would love to have you, and anyone else that wants to come. You, too, GoodK!
Dianne Ormond
MormonThink.com