2nd Watson Letter just found!'

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Danna

Re: 2nd Watson Letter just found!'

Post by _Danna »

zzyzx wrote:"For those who, for whatever reason -- laziness, intellectual neglect, intransigence, invincible ignorance, whatever"

Are you sure you aren't an active Mormon? With a response like this I would expect you to be a Stake High Counselor in our Stake... or somewhere in Utah.

Some of us work. The controversies that you look at are not generally discussed or even known to many in the wards and stakes as they just... are... not... taught. FAIR and FARMS aren't mentioned at all in our ward classes and meetings. I asked ten members picked at random after a meeting last evening what FAIR and FARMS were. None had an answer that referred to Church stuff at all.

Many who don't visit pages such as this know little of controversy. They are as I and others have been for some time, wondering about things that don't add up but looking in 'official' church publications and histories to try and find answers. It is only lately that I found this and some other sites. Still can't tell real ones from parody without a lot of looking and asking. Living in a town where a visit to the Public Library and asking for or checking out certain LDS/Anti or pro books somehow gets noticed by Bishops and Stake officers makes for repression.

Spending much time with work pursuits takes the bulk of my time and being a clerk takes the bulk of Church time. Asking questions in meetings causes problems. This especially if they are actually questions instead of parroting the lesson and its pre-planned canned questions.

So, I do visit here since discovering it. Discussion of topics I have questions on is interesting. It has seemed to be better than Google searches with 1-4 million pages to visit for information. Maybe that is a mistake and asking and reading here a waste of time?

Hang on! you may have missed the satirical ref to Scott Lloyds last essay:
Scott Lloyd wrote:
On the other hand, we have Mormons who, for whatever reason -- laziness, intellectual neglect, intransigence, invincible ignorance, whatever -- cling to folk doctrine as though it were scripture. I shall call them folk Mormons.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hello Everyone,

Mr. Celestial Kingdom Salmon provides some interesting thoughts:

Dr. Peterson's personal lack of knowledge regarding the authenticity of the first Watson letter (as he writes, "I assume it's real, but have no real evidence one way or the other") has piqued my curiosity about his current state of knowledge regarding the Second Watson letter. Does he also merely "assume" that the Second Watson Letter is authentic, while having "no real evidence one way or the other?" Or, is the Second Watson Letter to be regarded as authentic on more sure epistemic grounds? What are said grounds?

I'm not even sure how one might approach the verification of the proposition "The Second Watson Letter is authentic" while, per Dr. Peterson, the authenticity of the First Watson Letter has not yet even been confirmed--19 years on. Is the purported 1990 Watson letter authentic? There is, per Dr. Peterson, "no real evidence one way or the other."

Can anyone here solve this conundrum? Can anyone affiliated with this board find out if the First Watson Letter is authentic? Can anyone provide "real evidence" for Dr. Peterson one way or the other?

I will state that Doctor Peterson did say he saw the 2nd Watson Letter and urged some of us to write to his colleague reference producing said document. I will note that some of us did, indeed, write his colleague for verification of said 2nd Watson Letter and to this day no reply has been offered.

I believe I saw a scanned copy of the 1st Watson Letter floating somewhere out there in the Ethernet, but I could not say from whence it appeared.

I find it interesting that faithful Internet Mormons are satisfied with no evidence of either letter's existence since the doctrinal claims by both the First Presidency and the Maxwell Institute seem to be at odds.

Very Respectfully,

Doctor CamNC4Me
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Dwight Frye
_Emeritus

Post by _Dwight Frye »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I believe I saw a scanned copy of the 1st Watson Letter floating somewhere out there in the Ethernet, but I could not say from whence it appeared.

I was able to find a scanned copy, for those interested:

http://www.mazeministry.com/frontpage/dna/cumorah/cumorahletter.gif
"Christian anti-Mormons are no different than that wonderful old man down the street who turns out to be a child molester." - Obiwan, nutjob Mormon apologist - Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:25 pm
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Watson writes,
"The Church has long maintained, as attested to by references in the writings of General Authorities, that the Hill Cumorah in western New York state is the same as referenced in the Book of Mormon."

FAIR responds,
"Bro. Watson seems to have been speaking on his own understanding of the matter, and not as an official declaration of Church policy."

Does that makes Watson, a "folk Mormon." Does it make the GAs to whom he refers "folk Mormons?" ;-)

Scott's definition of Folk Mormons,

.... Mormons who, for whatever reason -- laziness, intellectual neglect, intransigence, invincible ignorance, whatever -- cling to folk doctrine as though it were scripture. I shall call them folk Mormons.
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_Joey
_Emeritus

Post by _Joey »

This is ridiculous, and I have more important things to do. Like just about anything.

Peterson at 5:00 am on a Sunday morning posting on the MAD board!

Like just about anything!
"It's not so much that FARMS scholarship in the area Book of Mormon historicity is "rejected' by the secular academic community as it is they are "ignored". [Daniel Peterson, May, 2004]
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

The more I think about it, the more it occurs to me that Greg Smith's gambit here is a horrible, horrible blunder for the apologists---a clear sign of their desperation in light of increasing pressure and competition from Rodney Meldrum. Greg's posting of the 2nd Watson Letter (if he does indeed do it; I wouldn't be surprised if it winds up getting "lost" in the mail) will mark a watershed moment in the history of Mopologetics because it will represent a serious concession on the part of the apologists. I call this a "blunder" because I have a hard time seeing that this will benefit them in any significant way. If Smith posts the letter, it will prove that DCP was lying about it in order to prevent it from coming to light. Further, the letter---and whatever handwritten text is on it, per Smith---will only show with more clarity just how powerful the apologists' influence is on the Brethren. I have a feeling that Professor Peterson lied about the letter because he knew that he would have more power in the war with critics if the physical copy of the letter remained a mystery: if he was challenged, he could play the Victim Card, claiming that he was being accused of lying, forgery, etc., and basically shut down the discussion by way of his usual theatrics. If readers---either TBMs or critics---simply accepted his stories about the letter, then that was fine and dandy: that's what the apologists wanted. So, it was a win-win scenario for Dr. Peterson. Now, though, his house of cards is about to collapse, and thus it's no real surprise that he's frantically posting in response to CKSalmon's needling. DCP is probably in an emotional tailspin.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Joey wrote:
This is ridiculous, and I have more important things to do. Like just about anything.

Peterson at 5:00 am on a Sunday morning posting on the MAD board!

Like just about anything!

Hi Joey,

Will you please provide some context for your post? For example, what did he consider "ridiculous" and why, etc.?

Hi Doctor Scratch,

I think I'm missing something, so I'm afraid I need to ask for clarification on a few points you made:

Doctor Scratch wrote:The more I think about it, the more it occurs to me that Greg Smith's gambit here is a horrible, horrible blunder for the apologists---a clear sign of their desperation in light of increasing pressure and competition from Rodney Meldrum.

Isn't Greg Smith of the opinion that the 2nd Letter says precisely what DCP claims it says--something like the first letter was in error and neither the church nor the Brethren take an official stand on the matter? If so, how can that be a "blunder" for the Sorensonites? *

Greg's posting of the 2nd Watson Letter (if he does indeed do it; I wouldn't be surprised if it winds up getting "lost" in the mail) will mark a watershed moment in the history of Mopologetics because it will represent a serious concession on the part of the apologists. I call this a "blunder" because I have a hard time seeing that this will benefit them in any significant way. If Smith posts the letter, it will prove that DCP was lying about it in order to prevent it from coming to light.

Once again, I reference my previous paragraph: Why do you think that, if indeed I heard correctly and Greg Smith thinks it says what DCP says it, uh, says?

Further, the letter---and whatever handwritten text is on it, per Smith---will only show with more clarity just how powerful the apologists' influence is on the Brethren.

I can agree with that.

I have a feeling that Professor Peterson lied about the letter because he knew that he would have more power in the war with critics if the physical copy of the letter remained a mystery: if he was challenged, he could play the Victim Card, claiming that he was being accused of lying, forgery, etc., and basically shut down the discussion by way of his usual theatrics. If readers---either TBMs or critics---simply accepted his stories about the letter, then that was fine and dandy: that's what the apologists wanted. So, it was a win-win scenario for Dr. Peterson. Now, though, his house of cards is about to collapse, and thus it's no real surprise that he's frantically posting in response to CKSalmon's needling. DCP is probably in an emotional tailspin.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, why do you think all that, cf. my above comments?

* I.e., those favoring a Mesoamerican setting. Compare and contrast with the Meldrumites, those favoring a Great Lakes setting.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Joey
_Emeritus

Post by _Joey »

In all the years we never heard anything, from Hamblin or Peterson, about "hand written annotations" on this supposed letter! Yet it is supposed to shed great light on the context today!

Like I said earlier, this guy Smith is just digging a hole for the three of them. Trust me, even if the copy of the supposes letter, fax or whatever does exist, you can be sure Peterson will make sure it never sees the day of light. Smith is just trying to re-establish some form of credibility than never existed to begin with!
"It's not so much that FARMS scholarship in the area Book of Mormon historicity is "rejected' by the secular academic community as it is they are "ignored". [Daniel Peterson, May, 2004]
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Joey, did you see my post to you, above?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Joey
_Emeritus

Post by _Joey »

It was the ironic humor of Peterson attempting to convince anyone that anything was more important than for him to respond to a ridiculous post -----at 5:00am!!!