2nd Watson Letter just found!'

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Nimrod
_Emeritus

Re: 2nd Watson Letter just found!'

Post by _Nimrod »

Thank you, Gadianton, Dr Scratch, and harmony.

Your insight makes this mystery quite fun to follow. DCP certainly has his motives for teasing about knowing the contents of such a letter and claiming it exists, but also denying availability of a copy. I am anxious to see what Greg Smith does (or doesn't) post.

I am no longer a TBM (haven't been since 1983), but I respect the efforts that the Packer faction is making to keep the doctrine true to its origins. I'm disappointed that Jack Welch's brain child has developed to the point it has. They should've buried Nibley when he died.
--*--
_Danna

Post by _Danna »

what a saga!

I am behind on the concept of a Packer vs Oaks faction. Is there a potted history of this any where?
_Joey
_Emeritus

Post by _Joey »

Let's be real here. This "claimed" 2nd letter will never be provided by Mr. Smith. It takes less time to provide the TSA Policy Manual online than it does for him to get a copy of a one page fax!!!

Someone here should ask this guy again on Peterson's board why he can't keep his word!
"It's not so much that FARMS scholarship in the area Book of Mormon historicity is "rejected' by the secular academic community as it is they are "ignored". [Daniel Peterson, May, 2004]
_Nimrod
_Emeritus

Post by _Nimrod »

If Greg Smith does not provide Watson 2, then there are two possibilities. when Greg Smith mentioned that he was getting a copy of Watson 2, he thought he would get a copy and be able to make it available but later reasons developed why he could not. If so, and he does not give a plausible explanation, then the possibility of an MI coverup becomes more distinct. That would lead to the question of why the MI institute does not want this validating letter out? If there is a Watson 2, perhaps it does not back off of the Watson 1 representation that the First Presidency position the the Book of Mormon Hill Cumorah is in fact in western New York state, or opens up other problems for MI.

Or, when Greg Smith mentioned that he was getting a copy of Watson 2, he did not think he could a copy or if he could, he did not think that he would provide it. This scenario would be explained as an effort to draw attention attention to the alleged Watson 2. Why do so? Dr Scratch's suspicions that the timing is to ding Meldrum at the time of his new book release fits nicely.
--*--
_Joey
_Emeritus

Post by _Joey »

This could be like the old Nightline with Ted Koppel and the Iran Hostage saga!

Day 9 in the Watson Letter!

Or it reminds me of "The Crunge" by Led Zepplin: "Where is that confounded letter"!
"It's not so much that FARMS scholarship in the area Book of Mormon historicity is "rejected' by the secular academic community as it is they are "ignored". [Daniel Peterson, May, 2004]
_ToGo
_Emeritus

Post by _ToGo »

Nimrod wrote:If Greg Smith does not provide Watson 2, then there are two possibilities. when Greg Smith mentioned that he was getting a copy of Watson 2, he thought he would get a copy and be able to make it available but later reasons developed why he could not. If so, and he does not give a plausible explanation, then the possibility of an MI coverup becomes more distinct. That would lead to the question of why the MI institute does not want this validating letter out? If there is a Watson 2, perhaps it does not back off of the Watson 1 representation that the First Presidency position the the Book of Mormon Hill Cumorah is in fact in western New York state, or opens up other problems for MI. ....

I think that when Greg Smith posted on MAD on Dec 2 that he was being mailed a copy of the 2nd Watson letter, he believed such and was genuine when he indicated he would share the copy. Since then the source at MI has either refused to send the copy to Greg Smith, or MI has stopped him in some way from sharing it. Greg Smith last posted on MAD on Dec 3. His has not posted there since. This does not seem to be behavior of someone who was bluffing from the get-go.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

ToGo wrote:I think that when Greg Smith posted on MAD on Dec 2 that he was being mailed a copy of the 2nd Watson letter, he believed such and was genuine when he indicated he would share the copy. Since then the source at MI has either refused to send the copy to Greg Smith, or MI has stopped him in some way from sharing it. Greg Smith last posted on MAD on Dec 3. His has not posted there since. This does not seem to be behavior of someone who was bluffing from the get-go.

You may be right, ToGo. If my hypothesis is correct, the folks at the MI are now trying to keep the letter from seeing the light of day in an effort to avoid pissing off the so-called "Packer Faction." As I noted earlier, it would not surprise me in the least if DCP has been firing off a boatload of frantic emails and PMs to Greg Smith, Sorenson, and so forth.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Doctor Scratch wrote:If my hypothesis is correct, the folks at the MI are now trying to keep the letter from seeing the light of day in an effort to avoid pissing off the so-called "Packer Faction."

An intriguing hypothesis. I wonder: Is it possible that the Packer faction issued MI a "cease-and-desist" order?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Doctor Scratch wrote:If my hypothesis is correct, the folks at the MI are now trying to keep the letter from seeing the light of day in an effort to avoid pissing off the so-called "Packer Faction."

An intriguing hypothesis. I wonder: Is it possible that the Packer faction issued MI a "cease-and-desist" order?

The Packer Faction. I'm so loving this! It almost makes me want to be a Packer fan!
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_Enuma Elish
_Emeritus

Post by _Enuma Elish »

You guys seriously crack me up! This thread is the best! Only MD could make the Watson letter this entertaining!
"We know when we understand: Almighty god is a living man"--Bob Marley