2nd Watson Letter just found!'

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Re: 2nd Watson Letter just found!'

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Enuma Elish wrote:You guys seriously crack me up! This thread is the best! Only MD could make the Watson letter this entertaining!

Dave---

Hi there, and Merry Christmas to you. Since you've been posting rather frequently over on the aptly named MADboard, I wonder if you wouldn't mind PMing G. Smith, asking him to hurry it up already.

That said, I agree with you that hullaballoo surrounding the 2nd Letter is "entertaining," to a degree, though I don't know if I would say that it "cracks me up." I mean, will you be laughing if it is revealed that Hamblin and DCP forged the letter? How about if they are canned from BYU? What about if they're excommunicated?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Enuma Elish
_Emeritus

Post by _Enuma Elish »

Hey Old Scratch!

Hi there, and Merry Christmas to you.

Thanks, friend. Same to you. Hope all is well!

Since you've been posting rather frequently over on the aptly named MADboard,

I KNOW, man, I fell off the wagon! Got to get my obsessions back under control.

I wonder if you wouldn't mind PMing G. Smith, asking him to hurry it up already.

I would do it for you, if I knew him. But I don't and as you know, I'm not in anyway connected with FARMS. Just an amused observer like you.

That said, I agree with you that hullaballoo surrounding the 2nd Letter is "entertaining," to a degree, though I don't know if I would say that it "cracks me up." I mean, will you be laughing if it is revealed that Hamblin and DCP forged the letter? How about if they are canned from BYU? What about if they're excommunicated?
[/quote]

You guys have made it totally entertaining! I don't think I would give it a moment's thought, if not for your commentary. But I know Hamblin and Peterson quite well, and don't believe for a moment that they simply made the letter up, nor that Dan is in anyway guilty of deception. You may disagree with him, but Dan really is a good person, Scratch. I'm quite fond of him.

So since I'm just a nobody when it comes to these circles, I'll just have to wait and see what happens and then look forward to your thrilling commentary.

Sincerely your friend,

--DB
"We know when we understand: Almighty god is a living man"--Bob Marley
_Joey
_Emeritus

Post by _Joey »

calmoriah, on 10 December 2009 - 03:32 PM, said:
He's a doctor and likely rather busy himself this time of year.

An email wouldn't really do anything more than provide the information that's already been given. The quality of a fax of a fax isn't that great from what I've seen. If he plans on doing a scan of material, best to have as close to the original letter as possible....which leaves you with snail mail.

To put everyone's mind at ease (ha!) I am still waiting for the docs. They have been mailed, by ground. (The Watson letter was only one in a large collection of documents being sent to me about an unrelated matter; my contact threw it in because he knew I'd be interested. There were too many to fax effectively.)

So, my enthusiasm has not waned, though it is taking longer than I thought because it was shipped by ground to Canada instead of air. I don't have a tracking number, but my days at the MTC tell me that the letter time from Utah to Alberta can be as long as 10 days even for a simple letter. Don't ask me why; I could get letters from Alberta to France faster.

Rest assured, I will still post it as soon as it is in my hot little hands here in the frozen north.

Greg

That is his latest update on the other board. Lots of posturing since his last promise. Looks a couple of poster there put pressure on him and Peterson to come current. Sounds a little fishy, must not have computers with PDF reads in Canada. "Too much to fax" really made me chuckle!

Big Dan seems to have gone silent on the thread! Surprise, surprise!
"It's not so much that FARMS scholarship in the area Book of Mormon historicity is "rejected' by the secular academic community as it is they are "ignored". [Daniel Peterson, May, 2004]
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Joey wrote:

An email wouldn't really do anything more than provide the information that's already been given. The quality of a fax of a fax isn't that great from what I've seen. If he plans on doing a scan of material, best to have as close to the original letter as possible....which leaves you with snail mail.

To put everyone's mind at ease (ha!) I am still waiting for the docs. They have been mailed, by ground. (The Watson letter was only one in a large collection of documents being sent to me about an unrelated matter; my contact threw it in because he knew I'd be interested. There were too many to fax effectively.)

So, my enthusiasm has not waned, though it is taking longer than I thought because it was shipped by ground to Canada instead of air. I don't have a tracking number, but my days at the MTC tell me that the letter time from Utah to Alberta can be as long as 10 days even for a simple letter. Don't ask me why; I could get letters from Alberta to France faster.

Rest assured, I will still post it as soon as it is in my hot little hands here in the frozen north.

Greg

That is his latest update on the other board. Lots of posturing since his last promise. Looks a couple of poster there put pressure on him and Peterson to come current. Sounds a little fishy, must not have computers with PDF reads in Canada. "Too much to fax" really made me chuckle!

Big Dan seems to have gone silent on the thread! Surprise, surprise!

If Greg's doing the "talking", why is the quote from cal?

And let's not be too hasty. After all, it only took the church a couple of thousand years after everyone else to make taking care of the poor a priority. Why would we expect anything else from our apologetic arm?
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_cksalmon
_Emeritus

Post by _cksalmon »

harmony wrote:

Greg

It's an embedded quotation that didn't make the transition. Greg's words are bolded above. Cal's are not.
_SoHo
_Emeritus

Post by _SoHo »

I send and receive snail mail to Canada from the U.S. regularly - neither is a third-world country, and it hardly takes any time at all.
"One of the surest ways to avoid even getting near false doctrine is to choose to be simple in our teaching." - Elder Henry B. Eyring, Ensign, May 1999, 74
_Joey
_Emeritus

Post by _Joey »

Day 10 of Watson Letter

Greg Smith admits normal travel time for letter between Utah and Alberta is at least 10 days.

Smith has not discussed newly found Watson letter w Peterson and indicates Peterson would have little interest.

Peterson remains a no-show on Watson letter discussion.

Rumors circulate Peterson is busy orchestrating LBO of Olivewood Bookstore w Goldman Sachs.
"It's not so much that FARMS scholarship in the area Book of Mormon historicity is "rejected' by the secular academic community as it is they are "ignored". [Daniel Peterson, May, 2004]
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Joey---

Dr. Peterson has reappeared on the thread, and it seems that our commentary has thrown him into a rage. He is carrying on about how he's been out of the country, and that, though he considers us irrelevant, he still found it necessary to log on and pound out a hate-fueled invective the moment he got off the plane. Furthermore, unless I am reading him wrong, he seems to be implying that Bill Hamblin tricked him into thinking that there was only one copy of the letter. One wonders why Hamblin would want to create this impression.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Doctor Scratch wrote:Joey---

Dr. Peterson has reappeared on the thread, and it seems that our commentary has thrown him into a rage. He is carrying on about how he's been out of the country, and that, though he considers us irrelevant, he still found it necessary to log on and pound out a hate-fueled invective the moment he got off the plane. Furthermore, unless I am reading him wrong, he seems to be implying that Bill Hamblin tricked him into thinking that there was only one copy of the letter. One wonders why Hamblin would want to create this impression.

Do you happen to have a link?
_Joey
_Emeritus

Post by _Joey »

Day 12 Watson Letter

Canada is obviously still closed. Mail delivery in Alberta appears to be as efficient as Canadian health care!

Peterson returns to thread and issues Farms Knowledge Ranking tests to the ignorant members.