update on City Creek

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Re: update on City Creek

Post by _beastie »

lostindc wrote:Do we have any evidence that tithing funds were used in the city creek project?

I suspect it's impossible to get evidence of anything when it comes to church finances. However, I agree that the most likely scenario is that tithing is invested, and the interest from investments is used for these sort of projects.

So, technically, tithing may not be used, but yet all the money the church has originally came from tithing.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

bcspace wrote:
With most welfare and charity, it just disappears down a hole.

CFR
_zzyzx
_Emeritus

Post by _zzyzx »

"With most welfare and charity, it just disappears down a hole."

What an excuse to keep from trying to help people. Because many aren't appreciative you believe helping most is worthless?

As for The Church giving away money to help people, it does happen. A friend who lives in a small branch in a remote area has told me of a number of instances of the Branch President writing checks to pay for car repairs and even home payments for some less affluent members who have hit hard times or been laid off of jobs. Even a car insurance payment or two so they could afford to job hunt, drive them and others to Church and the kids to School in poor weather.

This is probably the exception bu...t it does happen.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

zzyzx wrote:As for The Church giving away money to help people, it does happen. A friend who lives in a small branch in a remote area has told me of a number of instances of the Branch President writing checks to pay for car repairs and even home payments for some less affluent members who have hit hard times or been laid off of jobs. Even a car insurance payment or two so they could afford to job hunt, drive them and others to Church and the kids to School in poor weather.

This is probably the exception bu...t it does happen.

That either comes out of fast offering or the BP's peronsal checking account. No way does it come out of tithing. BP's don't have access to tithing.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_Nimrod
_Emeritus

Post by _Nimrod »

bcspace wrote:With most welfare and charity, it just disappears down a hole.

Yeah, why should we worry about helping the shiftless who have earned their own destitution, anyway. If only they weren't so lazy.

Some might actually be recovered with job training and education, but I think you know as well as I do that neither is welfare or charity. If so, then the problem would've been solved long ago.

Damn, Jesus, just wasted all that charity during His life. Think of the unworthy that He helped. The adulteress being stoned, feeding masses with some fish and loaves of bread. He was wrong, after all, to kick those money changers out of the temple--they were the worthy. If Jesus had just listened to bcspace, He would have applauded the money changers, threw a stone Himself at the adulteress, etc. Just think, Jesus might have even been able to have His own City Creek condo had He been more conservative with the fruit of His talents.
--*--
_Paracelsus
_Emeritus

Post by _Paracelsus »

Ehm ...

beastie wrote:...
I don't know much about City Creek, since I live on the east coast, but it sounds to me like this is going to largely improve (so to speak) the lives of middle and upper class Utahns.

I know (and care) more less about City Creek, since I live on another continent ...
Or, if I may express it more explicit, in another world (the Old one).
I know of nothing poorer
Under the sun, than you, you Gods!
Should I honour you? Why?

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe : Prometheus