update on City Creek

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

update on City Creek

Post by _zeezrom »

Cost of City Creek...

http://www.mormontimes.com/people_news/church_news/?id=13759

$3B

crap.

Do you realize how much good you can do in the world with that kind of money?
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_Rambo
_Emeritus

Re: update on City Creek

Post by _Rambo »

zeezrom wrote:Cost of City Creek...

$3B

crap.

Yeah when I saw the church was spending money on things like this that's when I decided to stop paying tithing for the time being.... or forever. Although I may go shopping there sometime!
_TAK
_Emeritus

Post by _TAK »

In 2006 it was projected at 1.5 Billion.. if Dizzynews is now allowing 3 Billion - it will be more likley 5 billion by 2012..

~ and that does not include the Billion or more LD$ spent on Crossroads before that went down a couple of years later..
God has the right to create and to destroy, to make like and to kill. He can delegate this authority if he wishes to. I know that can be scary. Deal with it.
Nehor.. Nov 08, 2010

Post by _zeezrom »

Many water and sanitation projects in poor countries cost around $15-30K. $3B would get you 100,000 of such projects.

Damn it.

....and I could buy my wife a really cool Electra as well.
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_xolotl
_Emeritus

Post by _xolotl »

At one time I believed that the LDS church had fallen away and the leaders were apostates. I thought Joseph was still a prophet and restored the kingdom of God at the time and this was a nice little factor in my apostasy from the church. I LOVE how Monson comes out with the new mission of the church... and they spend more then 3 billion on this.. disgusting.
_SoHo
_Emeritus

Post by _SoHo »

We are often told that the money to fund this type of spending doesn't come from tithes and that for-profit businesses generate additional revenue.

I have three questions:

1 - didn't every dollar that the church has originate from a tithe at some point?
2 - just how much of the revenues of these for-profit businesses are, in fact, actually reinvested into the non-profit areas of the church?
3 - should the church of jesus christ be engaged in for-profit businesses period?

Think of the lack of checks and balances in the system - no shareholders, no independent directors, no requirement to disclose financials, etc. Man, it must be like playing Monopoly for the church leaders in charge ...
"One of the surest ways to avoid even getting near false doctrine is to choose to be simple in our teaching." - Elder Henry B. Eyring, Ensign, May 1999, 74
_zzyzx
_Emeritus

Post by _zzyzx »

What a waste... $3 Billion and they won't even have a Victorias Sacred, not Secret.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.
_Nimrod
_Emeritus

Post by _Nimrod »

zeezrom wrote:Cost of City Creek...

$3B

crap.

Faith, young Zeezrom, faith. The LDS faithful know it's more important to build City Creek than feed the poor.
--*--
_zzyzx
_Emeritus

Post by _zzyzx »

The whole thing proves GordieB and Tommy are inspired leaders. The Poor need some place to aspire to for shopping for when they become middle to upper class.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.
_SoHo
_Emeritus

Post by _SoHo »

Perhaps the goal is to provide minimum wage jobs for the poor working to feed the vices of the wealthier classes.
"One of the surest ways to avoid even getting near false doctrine is to choose to be simple in our teaching." - Elder Henry B. Eyring, Ensign, May 1999, 74