LDS & Execution... hypocrites.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_zzyzx
_Emeritus

LDS & Execution... hypocrites.

Post by _zzyzx »

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/ci_14992907

A nice letter to the editor pointing out the hypocritical stands taken by LDSinc.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.
_Malcolm
_Emeritus

Re: LDS & Execution... hypocrites.

Post by _Malcolm »

Apart from one or two articles in the UK Press, very little is known about Gardener over here. Is he choosing the firing squad for "blood atonement" reasons, as did Gary Gilmore?
After reading a two page article in the Daily Mail, yesterday, 01 May 2010 I should imagine that he is not LDS simply due to the fact that the word Mormon was never used in the report, normally if Utah is mentioned the word Mormon is fitted in somewhere.!

Is a church that believes, in an eye for an eye, being hypocritical on this issue,I am not so sure. I believed in the death penalty for heinous crimes long before I joined the church. Now as an ExMo I would still support the death penalty.
British prison's house some horrific killers. With the return of the death penalty here, the 'noose' around the nations neck would be lessened by the tax-payer not having to house, feed them etc., yes, I know, its hypocritical, I still claim to be Christian in outlook, but I never said I was
perfect.
We shall not cease from exploration
and the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
and know the place for the first time.
T.S.Eliot
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

A nice letter to the editor pointing out the hypocritical stands taken by LDSinc.

How is the Church's stance hypocritical when the scriptures teach capital punishment as one of God's commands in the gospel (as opposed to the law of Moses) sense?
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_Danna

Post by _Danna »

bcspace wrote:

How is the Church's stance hypocritical when the scriptures teach capital punishment as one of God's commands in the gospel (as opposed to the law of Moses) sense?

You have both completely missed the point and nicely illustrated the hypocrisy. The hypocrisy is that the church, in spite of doctrinal support for capital punishment, takes NO position and declares the matter:
"to be decided solely by the prescribed processes of civil law"

And that after having gone to great lengths to meddle in the Prop 8 situation in California. As the letter writer points out, capital punishment is surely worthy of more discussion than civil marriage rights.
_zzyzx
_Emeritus

Post by _zzyzx »

I see by his post that someone is working overtime to live up to the name BS-space.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

So you are suggesting that we take the law given for us in a theocratic state and champion it?
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

You have both completely missed the point and nicely illustrated the hypocrisy. The hypocrisy is that the church, in spite of doctrinal support for capital punishment, takes NO position and declares the matter:

Thanks for clarifying. However, the Church is pretty consistent in going to bat for doctrines that are on the ropes in society, quite unlike capital punishment. In addition, "some doctrines are more important than others". No hypocrisy here.
Machina Sublime
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

If someone supports capital punishment, should they mandate it or at least push for it in all cases they consider it to be a just punishment? In other words, is it hypocritical to support capital punishment but also support life imprisonment as an alternative in some cases?

By the way, I'm not a fan of capital punishment. The reasons are: 1) mistakes are made in convictions. 2) It hasn't been shown to be a good deterrent. 3) I hear it doesn't even save money over life imprisonment. 4) If we're lucky, the convicted will suffer more having to live with themselves and their unforgivable deed. Of course, someone hardened enough to do something so depraved likely will never feel the deep regret and pain I hope for. Yeah, my 4 may not be noble, but we are talking about the most heinous of crimes--murder.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

bcspace wrote:Thanks for clarifying. However, the Church is pretty consistent in going to bat for doctrines that are on the ropes in society, quite unlike capital punishment.

What do you mean that capital punishment isn't on the ropes? As pointed out, many countries do not have capital punishment. In fact, many states do not either.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

World-wide support is at 52% (2000). Support in the US is at 64% (2008). It's hardly on the ropes. However, I think importance of the doctrine carries greater weight here.
Machina Sublime