LDS & Execution... hypocrites.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Re: LDS & Execution... hypocrites.

Post by _asbestosman »

bcspace wrote:World-wide support is at 52% (2000). Support in the US is at 64% (2008). It's hardly on the ropes. However, I think importance of the doctrine carries greater weight here.

Not on the ropes? Compare that with the support on prop 8 in 2008 which had 52.24% Maybe I don't know what you mean by the phrase "on the ropes" Do you mean whether it's about to lose support?

Also, what do you mean about the "importance of the doctrine carr[ying] greater weight?" Are you referring to capital punishment or to marriage?
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

Not on the ropes? Compare that with the support on prop 8 in 2008 which had 52.24% Maybe I don't know what you mean by the phrase "on the ropes" Do you mean whether it's about to lose support?

Do you honestly perceive capital punishment as being on the way out as much as gay marriage is on the way in?

Also, what do you mean about the "importance of the doctrine carr[ying] greater weight?" Are you referring to capital punishment or to marriage?

I am referring to the Church's statement on doctrine.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

bcspace wrote:Do you honestly perceive capital punishment as being on the way out as much as gay marriage is on the way in?

I don't think capital punishment has as much momentum as gay marriage in the US. However, I think that for most of the civilized world capital punishment is already banned while gay marriage is just beginning to be accepted.

I am referring to the Church's statement on doctrine.

I still don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that the doctrine of capital punishment isn't particularly important ( when you quoted, ""some doctrines are more important than others.")?
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

I don't think capital punishment has as much momentum as gay marriage in the US.

Capital punishment has been around lots longer and is not likely to go away anytime soon thankfully. Gay marriage has not yet reached critical mass and it might not ever do so hopefully.

However, I think that for most of the civilized world capital punishment is already banned while gay marriage is just beginning to be accepted.

Rhetoric. The use of the term "civilized world" in this context is an error in correlation. Capital punishment is either right or wrong regardless of where it is pacticed. Christian doctrine and scripture demands it and when the RCC speaks against it, this is not evidence that they are somehow more "civilized", but it is evidence that they are becomming less Christian.

I still don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that the doctrine of capital punishment isn't particularly important ( when you quoted, ""some doctrines are more important than others.")?

I mean this official statement by the LDS Church regarding doctrine:

Approaching Mormon Doctrine
Machina Sublime
_zzyzx
_Emeritus

Post by _zzyzx »

"A single statement made by a single leader on a single occasion often represents a personal, though well-considered, opinion"

So which of Brigham Youngs and Ezra Taft Bensons looney toone statements were 'well considered' and not plain stupid?
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

"A single statement made by a single leader on a single occasion often represents a personal, though well-considered, opinion"

So which of Brigham Youngs and Ezra Taft Bensons looney toone statements were 'well considered' and not plain stupid?

Which that were published by the Church (a requirement for doctrine) did you have in mind?
Machina Sublime