Was Nephi likeable?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Re: Was Nephi likeable?

Post by _The Nehor »

MCB wrote:As for Korihor seeming like a nut; the process of rejecting a religion often involves some nutty feelings and ideas. The person who has the courage to do that usually ends up better off in the long run. Becoming authentically human, some call it.

Well, as a non-authentic person I think he was nuts. This is capped off by his confusing confession at the end about how an angel taught him this stuff.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_zzyzx
_Emeritus

Post by _zzyzx »

A likeable murderer, now nice. Maybe he was really as nice as Mark Hoffman?
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.
_MCB
_Emeritus

Post by _MCB »

The Nehor wrote:Well, as a non-authentic person I think he was nuts. This is capped off by his confusing confession at the end about how an angel taught him this stuff.

Well, obviously he was not authentic, as he was a fictional character.

And Korihor put forth his hand and wrote, saying: I know that I am dumb, for I cannot speak; and I know that nothing save it were the apower of God could bring this upon me; yea, and I always bknew that there was a God.
53 But behold, the devil hath adeceived me; for he appeared unto me in the form of an angel, and said unto me: Go and reclaim this people, for they have all gone astray after an unknown God. And he said unto me: There is no God; yea, and he taught me that which I should say. And I have taught his words; and I taught them because they were pleasing unto the carnal mind; and I taught them, even until I had much success, insomuch that I verily believed that they were true; and for this cause I withstood the truth, even until I have brought this great curse upon me.

And that makes Joseph Smith better than Korihor? <grin> Remember, he did not recant his criticism of misplaced religious values, he only recanted his atheism, which was his initial view of reality, once he saw through sick religion.
Huckelberry said:
I see the order and harmony to be the very image of God which smiles upon us each morning as we awake.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... cc_toc.htm
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

Nephi comes off as something of a jerk. His is a very self-serving narrative, and frankly I don't buy it.
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”
_Redefined
_Emeritus

Post by _Redefined »

Of course us women raised in the church liked Nephi. He was the pedastool-man that we were supposed to measure all our potentials to. No one wants to be with wicked Laman or Lemuel. Might also be a "power" issue here as well???. . . the ordinary pack wolves are so much less desirable to the alpha leader wolf. . . right? Especially to the women that might regard themselves as alpha wolves rather than the lesser ordinary pack she-wolves??? (which is anyone with some good self-esteem!)

Which as it turns out, gives us perfect insight into Joseph Smith "the man"'s psyche. *barf* Outside of the brainwashing, "perfect" Nephi is nothing short of nauseating. by the way crying imperfection to appear humble is a manipulative tactic, and a whole other issue all its own.
"Sometimes i feel so isolated, i wanna die."-Rock Mafia--The Big Bang
this one. . .
and this one!
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Redefined wrote:Of course us women raised in the church liked Nephi. He was the pedastool-man that we were supposed to measure all our potentials to. No one wants to be with wicked Laman or Lemuel. Might also be a "power" issue here as well???. . . the ordinary pack wolves are so much less desirable to the alpha leader wolf. . . right? Especially to the women that might regard themselves as alpha wolves rather than the lesser ordinary pack she-wolves??? (which is anyone with some good self-esteem!)

Which as it turns out, gives us perfect insight into Joseph Smith "the man"'s psyche. *barf* Outside of the brainwashing, "perfect" Nephi is nothing short of nauseating. by the way crying imperfection to appear humble is a manipulative tactic, and a whole other issue all its own.

I've learned that most people who try to compare human relationships to wolf ones are nuts.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Trevor wrote:Nephi comes off as something of a jerk. His is a very self-serving narrative, and frankly I don't buy it.

I'm not saying I would like him if I met him. There are plenty of good people who annoy me.

I'm not surprised that Nephi's character provokes this kind of negativity. With the Savior it seems he only provoked three responses: adoration, terror, and hatred. No one seemed to express mild approval and I don't think his servants should be any different.
_Redefined
_Emeritus

Post by _Redefined »

The Nehor wrote:I've learned that most people who try to compare human relationships to wolf ones are nuts.

Nuts, huh. . . that's strange, because that is exactly what I learned about most people who believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God.
this one. . .
and this one!
_Redefined
_Emeritus

Post by _Redefined »

hmmmmm. . . I think I'd rather be compared to a wolf, than a cow. Ladies of the forum, what do you think? Nucking Futs, right?

PS. I'm so strung up on coffee right now, which is why I'm still up at 3:30 in the morn! *note to self. . . never drink half a pot of coffee only a few hours before bedtime!*
this one. . .
and this one!
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

The Nehor wrote:I'm not surprised that Nephi's character provokes this kind of negativity. With the Savior it seems he only provoked three responses: adoration, terror, and hatred. No one seemed to express mild approval and I don't think his servants should be any different.

I suppose that is one way of looking at it. It's also possible that Nephi is just a jerk.
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”