From My Informant: A Clandestine Meeting at the MI?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Re: From My Informant: A Clandestine Meeting at the MI?

Post by _Gadianton »

Huh. I guess I can understand why you'd be skeptical Trevor. But beyond the fact that I consider Doctor Scratch to be a man of his word, I just don't see the point of making it up. Why Ugo? He's never been a part of the crew Scratch has ever discussed nor does his personality or Mopologetic history beg for an entrance onto the stage.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Molok
_Emeritus

Post by _Molok »

Gadianton wrote: I just don't see the point of making it up. Why Ugo? He's never been a part of the crew Scratch has ever discussed nor does his personality or Mopologetic history beg for an entrance onto the stage.

Misdirection, obviously!
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

Gadianton wrote:Huh. I guess I can understand why you'd be skeptical Trevor. But beyond the fact that I consider Doctor Scratch to be a man of his word, I just don't see the point of making it up. Why Ugo? He's never been a part of the crew Scratch has ever discussed nor does his personality or Mopologetic history beg for an entrance onto the stage.

OK. Well, I don't really know Scratch, but he has floated a lot of information that has gone absolutely nowhere.

Why make it up? Why Ugo? Because anyone with an eye for good, humorous fiction can easily see the juicy possibilities. Ugo's testimony sparked the whole thing.

What I see here is a joke, and a pretty silly one too. The guy with the long hair in his 40s is meant to be Will Schryver. The test is to see whether he is the "love child" of Hugh Nibley, hence the presence of one of Nibley's children. Ugo comes in to report the findings.

If Scratch didn't make it up, he has been played, and he has been the bullhorn for a real howler. Who better than the abandoned lovechild of Dr. Nibley to protect the Book of Abraham for the new generation?

I can't see this as a joke that an apologist would come up with, but a critic with a wicked sense of humor? Sure. Scratch just sets it out there for people to connect the dots. And the fact that he did not connect the dots for us provides him the appearance of deniability.

The whole thing is a fiction.
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”
_William Schryver
_Emeritus

Post by _William Schryver »

Trevor wrote:
Gadianton wrote:Huh. I guess I can understand why you'd be skeptical Trevor. But beyond the fact that I consider Doctor Scratch to be a man of his word, I just don't see the point of making it up. Why Ugo? He's never been a part of the crew Scratch has ever discussed nor does his personality or Mopologetic history beg for an entrance onto the stage.

OK. Well, I don't really know Scratch, but he has floated a lot of information that has gone absolutely nowhere.

Why make it up? Why Ugo? Because anyone with an eye for good, humorous fiction can easily see the juicy possibilities. Ugo's testimony sparked the whole thing.

What I see here is a joke, and a pretty silly one too. The guy with the long hair in his 40s is meant to be Will Schryver. The test is to see whether he is the "love child" of Hugh Nibley, hence the presence of one of Nibley's children. Ugo comes in to report the findings.

If Scratch didn't make it up, he has been played, and he has been the bullhorn for a real howler. Who better than the abandoned lovechild of Dr. Nibley to protect the Book of Abraham for the new generation?

I can't see this as a joke that an apologist would come up with, but a critic with a wicked sense of humor? Sure. Scratch just sets it out there for people to connect the dots. And the fact that he did not connect the dots for us provides him the appearance of deniability.

The whole thing is a fiction.

Whoa! Seriously? A "love-child?" Who knew dear old mom had a thing for scholars dressed up like Anubis? I mean, I knew I was adopted, but Nibley as the pater familias in absentia?

Once again, just when you think to yourself "you can't make this stuff up," someone does.

If someone doesn't one day write a doctoral dissertation based on this message board, it will be a damn shame ...
... every man walketh in his own way, and after the image of his own god, whose image is in the likeness of the world, and whose substance is that of an idol ...
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

William Schryver wrote:Whoa! Seriously? A "love-child?" Who knew dear old mom had a thing for scholars dressed up like Anubis? I mean, I knew I was adopted, but Nibley as the pater familias in absentia?

Once again, just when you think to yourself "you can't make this stuff up," someone does.

If someone doesn't one day write a doctoral dissertation based on this message board, it will be a damn shame ...

You have hit on another piece of information that suggested the whole joke. If I recall correctly, you mentioned the fact that you were adopted rather recently, whether again or for the first time I do not know. But, the mystery of your family history provided yet more fodder for virtuoso Scratchian conspiracy-theorizing.
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”
_Wiki Wonka
_Emeritus

Post by _Wiki Wonka »

William Schryver wrote:Who knew dear old mom had a thing for scholars dressed up like Anubis?

This would be the most perfect sig line ever...

William Schryver wrote:If someone doesn't one day write a doctoral dissertation based on this message board, it will be a damn shame ...

Sounds like a job for the Peterson Institute for Scratchian Studies.

WW
We cannot gauge the worth of another soul any more than we can measure the span of the universe. Every person we meet is a VIP to our Heavenly Father.
President Uchtdorf, April 4, 2010

FairMormon Answers Wiki
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

Wiki Wonka wrote:Sounds like a job for the Peterson Institute for Scratchian Studies.

WW

Oh great! Now you've revealed the existence of the super secret Institute. Why don't you just let every cat out of the bag?!?!?!?!
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

That's a brilliant conjecture Trevor, full points for creativity.

But I think this is legitimate intel. And I disagree that previous intel hasn't gone anywhere, some of the stuff Scratch has proposed I've been skeptical of, and then it turns out to have merit.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

Gadianton wrote:But I think this is legitimate intel. And I disagree that previous intel hasn't gone anywhere, some of the stuff Scratch has proposed I've been skeptical of, and then it turns out to have merit.

The operative word being "some," and I think what usually happens is that the subsequent discussion is the productive part. Scratch goes from offering BS to getting denials from apologists that actually reveal some credible information. That credible information is most often not very earth-shaking stuff.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Gadianton wrote:That's a brilliant conjecture Trevor, full points for creativity.

But I think this is legitimate intel. And I disagree that previous intel hasn't gone anywhere, some of the stuff Scratch has proposed I've been skeptical of, and then it turns out to have merit.

If by 'intel' you mean the ground-breaking revelations of things the MI put on their website then yes, SOME of the intel was accurate.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo