The Story of Karma and the Firm that Wouldn't Bow to Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_The Mighty Builder
_Emeritus

The Story of Karma and the Firm that Wouldn't Bow to Mormon

Post by _The Mighty Builder »

Jesus.

From the beginning of the City Creek Center Project, it had been the desire of Gordon B. Hinckley, that the Revitalization of the "Blighted" area south of Temple Square be a "Bold and Beautiful" declaration of the Prosperity, Power and Prestige of the Mormon Church and serve as a gathering place where all can come and see the splendor of the "Lords only True Church."

For the grand plans, the removal of all the structures from State Street west to West Temple and south one block would have to be completed prior to the start of the project. This meant the destruction of the ZCMI Mall, Crossroads Mall, The Inn at Temple Square and of course the original Key Bank Building, a perfectly sound building that could have been renovated (even a spokesman for the Mormon Church admitted the only reason for its destruction was that it did not fit the concept for City Creek - In other words money was spent to destroy a perfectly good building).

Now to the Story of Karma and the Firm.

Utah Woolen Mills has been in its current location since 1979 when the Mormon Church made them move from their original location due the development of the Crossroads Mall.

Well, here comes the Mormon Church again wanting Utah Woolen Mills to move for the City Creek Center. The reason for the destruction of the building? It did not "fit" the vision of City Creek Center and like the Key Bank Building, had to go. The Mormon Church did every thing in their power to once again displace Utah Woolen Mills. This time, the family said NO! We see no reason to move. This really pissed off the Mormon Church and its leaders. THEY MUST GO! was the battle cry. Well, even though the Mormon Church owns the building that Utah Woolen Mills is in, an agreement was finally reached between the Mormon Church and Utah Woolen Mill by which the firm can stay.

NOW for the Inside story. The Reason that the Utah Woolen Mills building had to go is because it has a brick facade. The New Condominiums that surround the Utah Woolen Mills building were originally designed to have a French Limestone facade. Well the Limestone facade priced in at $40.00 per square foot. That was to rich for even the rich Mormon Church. So a Chinese Granite was selected at $28.00 per square foot. Once again, too much money for the rich Mormon Church. Finally, a facade was found that was in the price range of the frugal Mormon Church leaders, BRICK at $12.00 per square foot. THAT'S RIGHT, the Mormon Church wanted to destroy a Brick building because it would clash with their precious Stone Facade Condominiums, only to cover those Condominiums with BRICK!
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Re: The Story of Karma and the Firm that Wouldn't Bow to Mormon

Post by _Darth J »

Due to continuing cost overruns, the Church has recently revealed its plans for further cost cutting in the building materials to be used for City Creek:

_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

The Mighty Builder wrote:Jesus.

From the beginning of the City Creek Center Project, it had been the desire of Gordon B. Hinckley, that the Revitalization of the "Blighted" area south of Temple Square be a "Bold and Beautiful" declaration of the Prosperity, Power and Prestige of the Mormon Church and serve as a gathering place where all can come and see the splendor of the "Lords only True Church."

For the grand plans, the removal of all the structures from State Street west to West Temple and south one block would have to be completed prior to the start of the project. This meant the destruction of the ZCMI Mall, Crossroads Mall, The Inn at Temple Square and of course the original Key Bank Building, a perfectly sound building that could have been renovated (even a spokesman for the Mormon Church admitted the only reason for its destruction was that it did not fit the concept for City Creek - In other words money was spent to destroy a perfectly good building).

Now to the Story of Karma and the Firm.

Utah Woolen Mills has been in its current location since 1979 when the Mormon Church made them move from their original location due the development of the Crossroads Mall.

Well, here comes the Mormon Church again wanting Utah Woolen Mills to move for the City Creek Center. The reason for the destruction of the building? It did not "fit" the vision of City Creek Center and like the Key Bank Building, had to go. The Mormon Church did every thing in their power to once again displace Utah Woolen Mills. This time, the family said NO! We see no reason to move. This really pissed off the Mormon Church and its leaders. THEY MUST GO! was the battle cry. Well, even though the Mormon Church owns the building that Utah Woolen Mills is in, an agreement was finally reached between the Mormon Church and Utah Woolen Mill by which the firm can stay.

NOW for the Inside story. The Reason that the Utah Woolen Mills building had to go is because it has a brick facade. The New Condominiums that surround the Utah Woolen Mills building were originally designed to have a French Limestone facade. Well the Limestone facade priced in at $40.00 per square foot. That was to rich for even the rich Mormon Church. So a Chinese Granite was selected at $28.00 per square foot. Once again, too much money for the rich Mormon Church. Finally, a facade was found that was in the price range of the frugal Mormon Church leaders, BRICK at $12.00 per square foot. THAT'S RIGHT, the Mormon Church wanted to destroy a Brick building because it would clash with their precious Stone Facade Condominiums, only to cover those Condominiums with BRICK!

Maybe you could explain that the Church is getting close to the $4.5 billion mark on what it is spending on City Creek.
_Joseph
_Emeritus

Post by _Joseph »

A shame to waste Tithing money on crap like this.
"This is how INGORNAT these fools are!" - darricktevenson

Bow your head and mutter, what in hell am I doing here?

infaymos wrote: "Peterson is the defacto king ping of the Mormon Apologetic world."
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Joseph wrote:A shame to waste Tithing money on crap like this.

What, exactly, do you think the church should do with tithing money?

Help the poor? There will always be poor among us, so why would they waste money on the poor?

Help the widowed? There will always be widows among us, so why would they waste money on the widows?

Help the afflicted? Well, there will always.... blah blah blah...

So what should a church do, with all that excess tithing money? I mean... really?
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_Joseph
_Emeritus

Post by _Joseph »

Utah Woolen Mills doesn't even sell Utah made woolen products.
"This is how INGORNAT these fools are!" - darricktevenson

Bow your head and mutter, what in hell am I doing here?

infaymos wrote: "Peterson is the defacto king ping of the Mormon Apologetic world."
_Jonah
_Emeritus

Post by _Jonah »

A TBM buddy of mine claims that the church has stated that NO tithing money will be used for the project.

If anyone has any concrete evidence that tithing money is being used, please provide the information so I can cram it down my buddy's throat.
Red flags look normal when you're wearing rose colored glasses.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Jonah wrote:A TBM buddy of mine claims that the church has stated that NO tithing money will be used for the project.

If anyone has any concrete evidence that tithing money is being used, please provide the information so I can cram it down my buddy's throat.

The money for the project comes from the profits accrued from Church-owned businesses. Many suggest that that is tithing money since some of the money to buy those businesses may have come from tithing. I disagree.

You won't find anything to cram down your buddy's throat. I'm surprised he's your buddy if this is how your interactions go.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Jonah
_Emeritus

Post by _Jonah »

The Nehor wrote:The money for the project comes from the profits accrued from Church-owned businesses. Many suggest that that is tithing money since some of the money to buy those businesses may have come from tithing. I disagree.

On this I agree with you.
Red flags look normal when you're wearing rose colored glasses.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Thanks, The Mighty Builder, for that story. It sounds like you're in possession of some inside information. If you have any more, then please share!

The Nehor: What originally bought the church-owned businesses, if not tithing money?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley