Metcalfe Schryver Debate Set to Go

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Paul Osborne

Re: Metcalfe Schryver Debate Set to Go

Post by _Paul Osborne »

Old Willy is a hypocrite and still can't admit that he has, on many occasions, partaken of the green bud in the red bong(it was a few years back but still true) Pack of Marlboros right in front of him, Busch beer in the other hand. Would you like me to go into you lying to your employer about actual hours worked vs. what you were billing the client for? Oh I have a bunch of Willy stories. He is an attention whore with no real testimony in the Mormon Church. If so, why would he disregard the teachings?

You need to be careful about revealing real life information on the board. But you can invite anyone to chat and spill the beans. I'd love to hear about William's drug use and all the nasty things he did. Spare nothing. Tell all. I don't care if it is xrated. Chat room is the place!

Paul O
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

William Schryver wrote:Really? You know “experts in relevant fields” who have assessed my findings; weighed them in the balance of their expertise and found them wanting? Who? Since we’re both appealing to authority here, I’m genuinely curious about your “authorities” (apparently plural) who understand the issues and yet who have still not been persuaded by the arguments/evidence I have presented to support my theses.

Yes, experts plural. Why does that surprise you? You have interacted with some of them already. Like you, they are not playing for pennies. In fact, they are active LDS. Furthermore, they don't really want to engage in what generally passes for debate on either MA&D or MDB. Most importantly, I think they are more interested in seeing your article, when it is published, and then publishing their arguments in response. So, it may be the case that you'll have the benefit of their insights then.

William Schryver wrote:I'm willing to make a short list of my "authorities" (after confirming with them that they don't have a problem with me doing so). I would very much like to know what "experts" you know who don't find my arguments/evidence persuasive. I might even like to correspond with them, assuming they are willing to do so. As I mentioned above, I have yet to be confronted with any substantive counter-arguments on the part of people who post here. And yet I do genuinely have an interest in substantive criticisms of my work. I would very much appreciate your directing me to such critics and their criticisms.

I don't really care who your authorities/experts are. I want to read your article. I'll still pass along your desires for substantive criticism to my friends. If they are interested in helping you out before you publish, rather than wait to present their views in publication after your article comes out, I'll get you guys together.
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

Paul Osborne wrote:You just want to win the bet and get your $100, Trevor.

Just? I don't think so. I want all people to be happy, so long as their happiness doesn't harm someone else. I do admit, however, that I am looking forward to a visit from Ben Franklin as he passes from your house to mine.
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

Moo-Omn-peni-enishsh-goMoo-Omn-peni-enishsh-go Kalumbumdum Hel-mor-guh-ga-gosh, or Icki-iky-o-mie-gos Icki-iky-o-mie-gos.

Joe Smith's peni-enishsh in woman 1
Joe Smith's peni-enishsh in woman 2
Joe Smith's peni-enishsh in woman 3 etc . . . .

Moo-Omn-peni-enishsh Moo-Omn-peni-enishsh Moo-Omn-peni-enishsh

Aaaaaaahhh!!!

Signed,

William Schyrverass
Defender of Joe Smith's secret codes of bodily pleasure
_William Schryver
_Emeritus

Post by _William Schryver »

Trevor:
Yes, experts plural. Why does that surprise you? You have interacted with some of them already. Like you, they are not playing for pennies. In fact, they are active LDS.

As I suspected ...

First, it was a difference in perspective; now with our respective definitions of "expert."

Your "experts" are, at the very least, grossly underestimating the quantity and strength of the text-critical evidence supporting the conclusion that the EA/GAEL are dependent on a pre-existing text of the Book of Abraham. Indeed, I think I will be so bold as to state that it is a battle they simply cannot win, and everyone who attempts to fight against this conclusion will do so at the peril of their credibility and reputations for unbiased objectivity. That Don (I'm assuming here, of course) has now apparently concluded that my case for dependency is unsupportable is a disturbing development, from my perspective. Because, to date, the only people who have attempted to contest the arguments/evidence I have presented in that respect are those with an underlying agenda to discredit Joseph Smith and the church he founded.
... every man walketh in his own way, and after the image of his own god, whose image is in the likeness of the world, and whose substance is that of an idol ...
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Schryver has made his terms reasonable. The ball is in Metcalfe's court. Why hasn't he accepted?

What about my terms Simon? Are they not reasonable? Will won't debate Metcalfe unless he can establish a home court advantage. Will won't go to Washington where Brent lives, even though Brent takes care of his children and works 50+ hours a week. No, Will thinks that by demanding Brent travel to Utah and take time out of his schedule to debate a proven liar and moron, that he is being brave by "raising stakes."

And you forget that Metcalfe did accept Will's challenge, but then Schryver had to implement so many conditions to make sure it would never happen. He is scared to death of Metcalfe and every time they cross paths online Metcalfe makes him look like the idiot he really is. And what about the fact that Schryver refuses to accept Metcalfe's terms? Who is this idiot named Will Schryver who gets to make all the demands and is required to accept none? Only in the obscure corner of online Mormonmania does anyone think Wilbur is anyone of consequence. But the evidence proves he is a liar and a dispicable character and many notable LDS folk are distancing themselves from his stupidity already, so why should Metcalfe feel inclined to bow down to his every demand as if he were some kind of heavy hitter? He can't even debate anyone on the forums, especially me. He runs from me ever time I challenge him. And keep in mind that Metcalfe has been having intelligent, productive exchanges with Brian Hauglid for the past few years in private correspondence. What a terrible downgrade it would be to drop all of that to entertain the ego of a moron like Wilbur who thinks everyone unwilling to engage in his pet theories, are simply outside the cutting edge of Book of Abraham scholarship. Unless we're willing to let Will lead us by the nose down these stupid bunny trails, then according to him we aren't up-to-date on the subject. As if he is or ever was in any position to make such declarations as an authority. He's done nothing on the subject except try to reinvent the issue by telling critics what we're supposed to be arguing, which are generally straw men. He fabricates left field theories that are designed from a "conclusion first" basis, which then relies on a creative and deceptive mindset to shove all evidence into those models. This is only impressive to those on his intellectual level (idiots like wade), those who need to believe he is on to something because their own testimony hangs in the balance.
You're talking about someone who has been talking for literally a quarter century of the "forthcoming" publication of his definitive analysis of the Kirtland Egyptian Papers. And still we're waiting.

Of course this is another lie Will likes to throw out there as if it somehow helps him look less dumb. He just lied by saying he never ran from my challenge, but then I proved him wrong. He is also lying by pretending the "we" includes him. Four years ago Will didn't even know what the KEP were and now he wants to pretend he is among the LDS who have been dealing with this matter for several decades?? LOL!

He has no integrity. He is only interested in lying for the Lord to deceive as many gullible Mormon fence straddlers he can. And from what I can tell, Brent only entertained the idea of a publication about a eight years ago, and the riff raff from LDS apologetics that immediately ensued from the hoopla, along with a dramatic change of climate in his personal life, along with the procrastination of contributing scholars, all have prolonged it.
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

William Schryver wrote:First, it was a difference in perspective; now with our respective definitions of "expert."

More likely gets down to your narrow definition of what constitutes relevant expertise, or what you think might be relevant on a given day... As for this comment, you are simply implying that I don't understand what an expert is. I daresay I know far better than Mr. Amateur Hour (Will Schryver).

William Schryver wrote:Your "experts" are, at the very least, grossly underestimating the quantity and strength of the text-critical evidence supporting the conclusion that the EA/GAEL are dependent on a pre-existing text of the Book of Abraham. Indeed, I think I will be so bold as to state that it is a battle they simply cannot win, and everyone who attempts to fight against this conclusion will do so at the peril of their credibility and reputations for unbiased objectivity. That Don (I'm assuming here, of course) has now apparently concluded that my case for dependency is unsupportable is a disturbing development, from my perspective. Because, to date, the only people who have attempted to contest the arguments/evidence I have presented in that respect are those with an underlying agenda to discredit Joseph Smith and the church he founded.

William, your post is utterly repugnant. First of all, you do not know who these experts are, and your insinuation that their disagreement with you says something about their commitment to the Gospel is despicable. This represents the rottenest aspect of bad apologetics in the LDS Church today. If you actually are confident of your "findings" then do not stoop to the underhanded tactic of slandering the faith of those who differ with you on points of scholarship while faithfully adhering to the same Gospel. I know these experts and I know that their commitment to the Gospel is unimpeachable.

Now stop behaving like a bottom-feeding idiot and publish your damn article.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

I thought the only expertise necessary in this debate was computer programming, or whatever Will's job is.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Maybe this is not the place for this question but it why can't I find Schryver's testimony in MST?
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

beastie wrote:I thought the only expertise necessary in this debate was computer programming, or whatever Will's job is.

Yeah, gee. I guess I was mistaken. None of my friends who are interested in the KEP are computer programmers. They don't have the one area of expertise requisite. Or maybe Will changed his mind about that... when he needs other people to puff up his slender bona fides in other areas.

Or maybe he has a group of LDS-apologist-computer-programmers who have found his KEP arguments utterly ironclad.

I admit it. None of my faithful LDS friends who disagree with Will on the KEP are "expert" computer programmers. Damn. Foiled again.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.