Is oral sex immoral for temple married couples?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Re: Is oral sex immoral for temple married couples?

Post by _Darth J »

zeezrom wrote:Maybe a trip to The Orient might help us...
Historically, there have been two ways of viewing sexuality, according to Foucault. In China, Japan, India and the Roman Empire have seen it as an "Ars erotica", "erotic art", where sex is seen as an art and a special experience and not something dirty and shameful. It is something to be kept secret, but only because of the view that it would lose its power and its pleasure if spoken about.

In Western society, on the other hand, something completely different has been created, what Foucault calls "scientia sexualis", the science of sexuality. It is originally (17th century) based on a phenomenon diametrically opposed to Ars erotica: the confession. It is not just a question of the Christian confession, but more generally the urge to talk about it. A fixation with finding out the "truth" about sexuality arises, a truth that is to be confessed. It is as if sexuality did not exist unless it is confessed.
http://www.ipce.information/ipceweb/Library/history_of_sexuality.htm

I see. Another piece of the puzzle falls into place.

From Teach Ye Diligently by Boyd K. Packer, a book that is frequently quoted in official church manuals, as discussed in a previous thread:

In 1958 seminary and institute teachers were assembled at Brigham Young University for a summer school. I was assigned by President William E. Berrett to talk on the subject "Problems in Teaching the Moral Standard." In preparation for that assignment, I made a more than usual investment in prayer and fasting, in research and inquiry, including interviews with some of the General Authorities.

In the process of that preparation I came to some conclusions that I have not since that time abandoned-indeed, they have become reinforced through all that I have since learned on the subject. I am convinced that two of the major mistakes are to teach too much about the subject and to teach it at the wrong time. I am firmly convinced of the following principles.

The notion that our young people need to be taught in great detail all of the facts relating to the physical processes involved in reproduction at an early age is nonsense. The overteaching of it is not a protection. Such things as they should know about the subject should be taught in a framework of reverence and modesty.

When this is justified, if it is justified, the subject ought always to be treated in the framework of reverence.

In treating this subject, I do not personally see the necessity of using clinical terminology. I do not see the necessity of using explicit names of the organs of the body, nor for those processes by which bodies are conceived as a tabernacle for the spirit.

The one place in the Church where some frank discussions may be appropriate is during an interview for priesthood advancement, for a call to a position, for a temple recommend, or in an interview in which a member is confessing transgression in order to get it resolved.

Occasionally, deep inquiry may be necessary. This teaching process, and that's what interviewing can be, ought likewise to be shrouded in modesty and the subject ought to be treated with reverence, wisdom, and restraint.

I know of more than one instance in which a young person has been led to experiment in gross and perverted immorality because of a suggestion that originated with his bishop in an interview.

EDIT: Did you all pick up on how "frank discussions" are appropriate when a teenage boy is being interviewed in the bishop's office, but not at home when his parents are explaining the birds and the bees?
Last edited by Guest on Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_DaniteDan
_Emeritus

Post by _DaniteDan »

I thought Mormons had it bad but then I heard this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61_rPgitFmc
If one is forever cautious, can one remain a human being?"

Alexander Solzhenitsyn
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Darth J wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:Wouldn't it be more like:

"Oooo baby, don't STOP yes, right there, don't STOP don't STOP yes yes don't STOP..."

"Presentism."

You're writing a telegram like a 21st-century person, not a Victorian-era person

Funny thing, Darth J. On this topic, bcspace never even enters my mind.
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

sock puppet wrote:
Darth J wrote:

"Presentism."

You're writing a telegram like a 21st-century person, not a Victorian-era person

I see you forgot bcspace acknowledging that he would be willing to consider having a homosexual relationship with the prophet if God commanded him to do so.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Yet all too commonly, these divine gifts are desecrated.

I've always found it funny when LDS leaders talk about sex as a "divine gift."

What the...?

Think of all the creatures that have sex, I mean it is part of life for most of the millions of species covering our planet. Is it a gift to mosquitoes to have sex? How about flatworms? How about the Galapagos Giant Tortoise?

purl=http://www.neatorama.com/2007/04/30/30-strangest-animal-mating-habits/]Seriously weird mating habits[/url]

I just don't see how sex is a gift to humans but just a part of life for all other life forms.

;-)

~td~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

truth dancer wrote:
Yet all too commonly, these divine gifts are desecrated.

I've always found it funny when LDS leaders talk about sex as a "divine gift."

What the...?

Think of all the creatures that have sex, I mean it is part of life for most of the millions of species covering our planet. Is it a gift to mosquitoes to have sex? How about flatworms? How about the Galapagos Giant Tortoise?

purl=http://www.neatorama.com/2007/04/30/30-strangest-animal-mating-habits/]Seriously weird mating habits[/url]

I just don't see how sex is a gift to humans but just a part of life for all other life forms.

;-)

~td~

Oh, yeah? Have you ever been turned on by watching a Galapagos Giant Tortoise mate?

Never mind, don't answer that. Please, don't anyone answer that.
_MCB
_Emeritus

Post by _MCB »

Oh, yeah? Have you ever been turned on by watching a Galapagos Giant Tortoise mate?

Never mind, don't answer that. Please, don't anyone answer that.
I might if it were of them doing it face-to-face, with a view of their joined parts. :)) <grinz>
Huckelberry said:
I see the order and harmony to be the very image of God which smiles upon us each morning as we awake.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... cc_toc.htm
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Darth J wrote:

"Presentism."

sock puppet wrote:
Darth J wrote:
I see you forgot bcspace acknowledging that he would be willing to consider having a homosexual relationship with the prophet if God commanded him to do so.

Probably more like intentionally forced that out of my mind. Good God, man. That's beyond disgusting. If I was to have a homosexual relationship, God commanded or not, it would not be with some guy in his 90s.