Your thoughts on "Rough Stone Rolling"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Lucinda
_Emeritus

Your thoughts on "Rough Stone Rolling"

Post by _Lucinda »

and/or Richard Bushman? I listened to his podcast interview today on mormonstories.org and was impressed by him. I have not read his book--if I do will all of my Joseph Smith issues be solved?
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Re: Your thoughts on "Rough Stone Rolling"

Post by _honorentheos »

I read his book after I had decided to leave the faith. I thought, overall, it was much better than any faithful book I had read, but continued to have issues with him.

For example, if you are knowledgeable on the issues with the multiple first vision accounts, you may find his lack of attention to the issue to be dismissive. That shocked me. I had expected him to either have some answers or at least lay out the matter in an acceptable manner to the average member of the faith.

I think it very likely a believing member of the LDS faith could read his book and still be blind-sided by the information on the internet on this subject.

But on the whole, I think he does a good job of presenting difficult material to a believing audience.

If you are LDS and know someone who you would like to introduce to the more nuanced and real tellings of LDS history while preserving their core faith, this is your book.

If, on the otherhand, you are or know someone who is being challenged by critical information on the prophet, I am not sure it would help much. You'll already know the issues, and you will have seen stronger apologetic answers.

In other words, think of it as more of a inoculation rather than an antibiotic. It's preventative rather than curative, in my opinion.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Joseph
_Emeritus

Post by _Joseph »

Go ahead and read it. My wife did and that started the questioning, the further searching and questioning and the way out. What he prints and what is denied and hidden by lds-inc will have you wondering who the liars are and why they do it.
"This is how INGORNAT these fools are!" - darricktevenson

Bow your head and mutter, what in hell am I doing here?

infaymos wrote: "Peterson is the defacto king ping of the Mormon Apologetic world."
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Joseph wrote:Go ahead and read it. My wife did and that started the questioning, the further searching and questioning and the way out. What he prints and what is denied and hidden by lds-inc will have you wondering who the liars are and why they do it.

I have to agree, Joseph. But I don't think a person who is that familiar with Joseph Smith and the critical issues will gain that much from reading it that they don't already know. I think it is meant as a very long primer on the real history.

The parts I found most interesting involved his timeline on the writing of the Book of Mormon. I really enjoyed those sections.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Lucinda wrote:and/or Richard Bushman? I listened to his podcast interview today on mormonstories.org and was impressed by him. I have not read his book--if I do will all of my Joseph Smith issues be solved?

No, all of your issues with Joseph Smith Jr. will not be solved.

I (a Never) own and have read the book twice and still refer to it from time to time. Years ago, I hosted the Book Club on ZLMB and a poster I greatly respected challenged me to read RSR, so I did. I personally view it as a treasure of Early American history, biography of the Smith family and the beginnings of Mormonism.

It is very well written and documented. I'd highly recommend it for anyone interested in researching the roots of both Joseph Smith Jr. and the LDS Church.

It's a keeper!
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Aristotle Smith
_Emeritus

Post by _Aristotle Smith »

The best description I can give of the book is that it's the most critical history one can give and still be a faithful history. Those who are critical of the church generally find it to be too apologetic. Faithful members who have not heard the more sordid aspects of Joseph's life will probably be shocked.

The book's biggest strength is in telling the story of the Missouri period. I think this is where he is at his best as a critical historian. I think his writing in this section is the liveliest in the whole book.

The second strength is his account of Nauvoo. One of the things that is left out in official church histories is who polygamy touched almost every single aspect of life and everything Joseph did in Nauvoo. For that reason, official church histories tend to be very reticent about giving much detail about the Nauvoo period. You really cannot understand Nauvoo without understanding polygamy, Bushman knows this, and does not shy away from it.

Now for the two biggest weaknesses.

The biggest glaring weakness is that Bushman is a boring writer. That's one of the reasons the Missouri period is done so well, he manages to be engaging and keep the story moving. My wife simply could not finish the book because it was so boring to her. Fawn Brodie's prose is much snappier than Bushman's.

The second problem is that he avoids the biggest critical problems in dealing with Joseph Smith: Book of Mormon, the Book of Abraham, and the First Vision accounts. Bushman simply does not deal with any of those issues critically. He pretty much just gives the standard LDS version of the First Vision (the 1838 account) and leans on FARMS for most of what he says about the Book of Mormon and the Book of Abraham.
_Lucinda
_Emeritus

Post by _Lucinda »

Thanks all. I wondered if I should try to tackle it just to say I've read something from a TBM's point of view. I've read Palmer and Compton among others. But I've been raised in the church so don't I pretty much know all there is to know from that side??
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I thought the historical material alone was worth the read, Lucinda.

Another poster said that Bushman was a "boring" read. I didn't think so. It's the kind of book that you want to take somewhere quiet to read so that you can absorb it.
Chinese Proverb
_Lucinda
_Emeritus

Post by _Lucinda »

Jersey Girl wrote:I thought the historical material alone was worth the read, Lucinda.

I would normally agree with you. However, since my quest this past year to read all I can get my hands on to find some truths, I'm feeling ready to pick up Stephen King, Dean Koontz or any totally bizarre, non-thinking book!!
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Lucinda wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:I thought the historical material alone was worth the read, Lucinda.

I would normally agree with you. However, since my quest this past year to read all I can get my hands on to find some truths, I'm feeling ready to pick up Stephen King, Dean Koontz or any totally bizarre, non-thinking book!!

Well, in that case, you should just continue reading this board! Works for me!
;-)
Chinese Proverb