The Furniture of The Book of Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Re: The Furniture of The Book of Mormon

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

The Soap Maker wrote:Off topic: Does anyone know if Darth J is ever going to come back to this board? I miss that dude.
similar offtopic:
or ludwigm, who has (had) a very different worldview - a view from east europe, as different as like of a kiwi or an aussie (his last post is from 2016.09.09 09:32)
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

68Cadillac wrote: The burial in the forest was by far the most bizarre. Elder even said a prayer. WTF?!

I had wondered where that old Mormon koan about what sound a Book of Mormon made when it was buried in a forest came from. Now I know.

Like with many multi-level marketing organizations, all that work and only those at the very top make any money off it.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

deacon blues wrote:Padding missionary stats is an important way to prepare missionaries for a lifetime of temple recommend interviews. :biggrin:

Seriously, there was some padding stats in our mission. (some senior comps were better at it than others) There was also a culture of suspecting other missionaries padded stats. No offense, but the OP seems to be exaggerating a little, We all have a little Paul Dunn in us.

A little Paul Dunn in us all? Studies have shown that very many have a propensity to ”stretch” the truth, our big fish that got away, catagory of lies. What Paul Dunn did was make statements from a position of authority, not of stretching the truth but totally making crap up. And all the while shrouding it in a glow of made up spirituality.

But getting back to the story at hand, furniture from Book of Mormon’s and padding stats. I believe his story. I learned the lesson about padding stats the first month of my 2 ½ year mission. In our mission we were forbidden to take time to wash our clothes unless we could proselyte at the same time, the idea of going to a laundromat and talking with the undunked. Only, in Sweden, there are not now, nor were there ever any laundromats. Laundry is done by booking time in a communal laundry room, specifically designed so that you are alone. The whole concept of sharing time while doing laundry is counter to Swedishness.

So we lied. We washed our shirts, garments and socks but wrote it up as proselyting time. Dinners with members were not considered missionary work then (mid 1960’s). But on our weekly reports they became lessons taught.

We were required to sell each Book of Mormon we distributed. Every week 10 new books would be sent to each missionary pair, COD (cash on delivery for those who no longer ever use the post office). We could not, didn’t dare, trembled at the thought, to say no to a new delivery Each book was 1 $ US. 10$ every week (plus shipping). Back then we lived on 100 $ per month. My first companion couldn’t sell a book if his life depended upon it and I couldn’t speak Swedish.

By the end of my first month I had gone down in weight by over a fifth of my very skinny teenage weight because all our money rested in books, untouched on a bookshelf in our room. I complained to our DL’s. We were accused of not being sufficiiently dedicated. I complained to our mission president. We were admonished to pray more steadfastly. I continued to lose weight for the second month. We had to pay rent, food, transportation and then have 40% of our total monthly allowance invested in books. 60 $ to live on, 40$ for books/month.

A very angry letter from my Mom to the mission president brought about a change. The DL’s plus six missionaries came to our area and sold every god damned book in a day and a half. But the books kept coming and I was placed with a new companion, clear on the other side of the country.

We didn’t build furniture with our Book of Mormon’s. We starved. There is no ”Paul Dunn” part to this story.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Jesus, bcuzbcuz.

And I thought I had it bad in Peru '90-'92.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

Thanks for the response, bcuzbcuz. You have made me doubt my doubts. :biggrin:
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

deacon blues wrote:Thanks for the response, bcuzbcuz. You have made me doubt my doubts. :biggrin:

Thanks for reading my post. Our mission president was a d*Celestial Kingdom who believed he was assigned by god to turn every missionary into a book salesman. He and all his underlings listened only to stories of success and ignored any voices of reason. But he was truly convinced that every book placed would ultimately lead to a conversion. (That, plus he had overseen a mass printing of the Swedish Book of Mormon and had found a way to get a sizeable return on his investment)

When he finished his assignment as supreme leader he returned to his furniture sales business back stateside. Maybe he started a new product line, soffas made of BMs.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Dear bcuzbcuz,

Have you read the book titled The Book of a Mormon--The Real Life and Strange Times of an LDS Missionary? It's the recollections of a guy who also served his mission in Sweden.

If so, how accurate and/or close to your experience would you say it is?

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Bumping this thread because it was linked from /r/Mormon. Holy cow. It's totally worth the read.

- Doc

Would you mind linking us to the Reddit thread in question so we can read what they're saying about this thread?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

Dr. Shades wrote:Dear bcuzbcuz,

Have you read the book titled The Book of a Mormon--The Real Life and Strange Times of an LDS Missionary? It's the recollections of a guy who also served his mission in Sweden.

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Bumping this thread because it was linked from /r/Mormon. Holy cow. It's totally worth the read.

- Doc

Would you mind linking us to the Reddit thread in question so we can read what they're saying about this thread?

Thank you ever so much for the reference, Dr. Shades. I downloaded the book online and have read the first 60 pages so far, where he is only getting into his second day with his first companion. It is very intense.

Althought the family history part, as he introduces his muskateer buddies from the LTM, is a bit over the top, almost Dunn-ish, when he gets into his arrival in Sweden his story rings true. His recollections from the first days at the mission center are far more detailed than any memory I personally have. But his train trip from the mission center to his first companion is eerily famliar, even though it was my trip from my first to second companion.

He was on his Swedish mission around fifteen years after I finished mine but it is like travelling back in time. So little had changed. My first MP was a ’leader’ from H*ll, the inquisitor and book salesman who caused the ”Norrland Rebellion”. The second MP was a kind soul, sent to straighten things out.

It looks like the church went back to the Inquisitor model in the following years.
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

Dr. Shades wrote:Dear bcuzbcuz,

- Doc

I’ve now read the entire book. My opinion is that the book is entirely accurate. His experiences were not the same as mine but the attitudes, personalities, language and locations all ring true.

I returned to Sweden, two years after my mission. I married and baptized a very beautiful Swedish girl that I had met on my mission. My children were born and raised in Sweden. We later moved to North America but following the death of their mother, four of my children returned to Sweden. I now live in Sweden, and have lived and worked here for more than 20 years.

I went, one time, back to a former ward in Stockholm. I recognized some members. They did not recognize me.

I re-married, a non-Mormon. I have officially removed my name from Mormondom. I have never regretted it.

It would be interesting to know how many missionaries who served in Sweden now have nothing to do with the church.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Thanks for typing that up, bcuzbcuz. I appreciate it. I must say, you're a very fast reader!

I would imagine that your second wife is Swedish, too?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley