The Furniture of The Book of Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_thews
_Emeritus

Re: The Furniture of The Book of Mormon

Post by _thews »

Tchild wrote:
thews wrote:Ouch baby… very ouch. And what would define my hypocrisy? …your definition of what a Christian is? Let me point Tchild that I don’t believe in hell, the flood, and a lot of what you just assume I believe in. What I believe is defined by me, and if it doesn’t fit your definition of what I believe, I really don’t give a rat’s ass.

So urbane with your self defined beliefs. You are your own man Thews. Bravo, bravo!!

Lets all stand and give Thews a big round of applause.

As to giving a rat's ass, you are right, I care less about what you think than Simon Belmont. Simon is only ignorant, while you are just full of Sh*t.

3rd grade was a long time ago Tchild... you're it.
2 Tim 4:3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine.
2 Tim 4:4 They will turn their ears away from the truth & turn aside to myths
_thews
_Emeritus

Post by _thews »

Runtu wrote:I'll remember next time never to respond to anything you say unless it's directed explicitly toward me. Problem is, I responded to Darth, not to you, and you came unglued.

You responded to Darth regarding a question I asked him? Ok... that says a lot... you aren't very bright.

Runtu wrote:And yes, I'm an idiot. So what? :)

You know, MADB is great place for your style.
2 Tim 4:3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine.
2 Tim 4:4 They will turn their ears away from the truth & turn aside to myths
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

thews wrote:You responded to Darth regarding a question I asked him? Ok... that says a lot... you aren't very bright.

No, I responded to Darth's post, agreeing with his statement about regretting his mission. No, I'm not bright, but I'm not as stupid as you seem to think. :)

Runtu wrote:You know, MADB is great place for your style.

Well, they did ban me, you know.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_MCB
_Emeritus

Post by _MCB »

I wish you would cut down on the feuding. Closet nonbelievers like Darth have their own sneaky path to follow, and I respect them for choosing that path, for as long as they can tolerate it.
Huckelberry said:
I see the order and harmony to be the very image of God which smiles upon us each morning as we awake.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... cc_toc.htm
_Molok
_Emeritus

Post by _Molok »

thews wrote: Then Molok joins the fray to help poor Runtu out, and now it’s your turn.

????? Thews, how exactly is saying :

Thews, maybe darth doesn't think it is any of your business how he raises his kids? That might explain why he isn't giving you all the savory details you are concerning yourself with. You are one creepy dude.

joining the fray to help Runtu? You have basic comprehension problems, do you know that?
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

MCB wrote:I wish you would cut down on the feuding. Closet nonbelievers like Darth have their own sneaky path to follow, and I respect them for choosing that path, for as long as they can tolerate it.

I am sorry for intruding. I'm not sorry for agreeing with Darth, but I should not have mentioned thews in my first post.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

thews wrote:I question the sincerity of Darth’s #2 comment

I'm just another victim in thews' ongoing witch hunt against those who don't disbelieve Mormonism enough. It is not sufficient to say that the claims that the LDS Church makes about itself are untenable, that the Book of Mormon is a work of 19th-century Bible fanfic, etc.

No, to be a real non-believer, you must acknowledge that Mormonism is of the devil, that going on a mission to teach things that you believed at the time to people who wanted to hear it is analogous to poisoning people, and that any social or familial association with Mormons will give you cognitive dissonance (I've only got an undergraduate degree, not an advanced degree, in psychology, but I'm going to venture an opinion that thews does not understand what cognitive dissonance is).

Similarly, when I explicitly say again and again that I am raising my kids to be social Mormons, thews must ignore the commonly understood colloquialisms like "social Mormon" or "New Order Mormon" (personally, I self-identify as a "Darth Sidious Mormon") because the momentum of the witch hunt requires him to disregard my explicit statements and infer contrary to evidence that I must be teaching my children to accept the LDS Church as "true."

You see, on one hand, thews has said that what he believes about the ancient Jewish mythology about their tribal god is his opinion to which he is entitled, which is no more or less true than what Simon Belmont believes or what Tchild believes. However, you are not entitled to the opinion that there is a worthwhile ethos to be found in Mormonism so long as one accepts Mormonism's mythos for what it is. That particular opinion is not just as good as anyone else's, because thews' conclusion that folk magic angers the ancient tribal Hebrew shepherd god compels him to seek out those who clearly do not believe in the truth claims of the LDS Church, yet are in effect true believers because they do not condemn Mormonism as strongly as he believes the Hebrew tribal god wants us to.

Be sure to look for thews' forthcoming book, the Malleus Mormonficarum.

P.S. Runtu and I are going to be getting together for lunch, and I only hope that we will highfive each other into delirium.
_Tchild
_Emeritus

Post by _Tchild »

Edited.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

thews wrote:If I gave you some food because you were hungry not knowing it was poisoned, would I feel no remorse because I didn’t know it was poisoned and my intentions were good?

Ahh, I understand your point now. Thanks.

Tchild wrote:Simon is only ignorant, while you are just full of Sh*t.

Tchild, please CLICK HERE, paying very close attention to the underlined text.

Thank you.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

thews wrote:If I gave you some food because you were hungry not knowing it was poisoned, would I feel no remorse because I didn’t know it was poisoned and my intentions were good?

That is a decent point. It would make sense to feel remorse for poisoning people, no matter how unintentional. Similarly, if joining the church caused someone pain or damage, then, yes, I would feel remorse for being the person who introduced them to something that made them unhappy.

As I recall, I baptized about 60 people on my mission. Given activity rates in Bolivia, somewhere between 6 and 10 may have stayed in the church. So, no, I don't feel remorse for the 50 or so whose stay in the church was brief, as I doubt it affected them one way or the other. As for the rest, I haven't kept in contact with them (it's difficult with the lack of phones and mail service). But if any of them have experienced unhappiness as a result of joining the LDS church, that is something I definitely feel bad about.

If I were 19 and knew what I know today, would I serve a mission? Obviously not. But am I going to beat myself up because 27 years ago as a teenager I did what I had been taught my whole life was the right and noble thing to do? Nope.
Runtu's Rincón