LDS Church takes public stance on immigration legislation

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Buffalo
_Emeritus

Re: LDS Church takes public stance on immigration legislation

Post by _Buffalo »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Buffalo wrote:The conservative members (read: 80% of the church) are going to hate this.

I think your estimate of 80% conservative members is conservative.

67% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Actually I think remember seeing a study that said something close to 80%. Could be faulty memory though.
Parley P. Pratt wrote:We must lie to support brother Joseph, it is our duty to do so.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Buffalo wrote:Actually I think remember seeing a study that said something close to 80%. Could be faulty memory though.

Not that I doubt you, but I would have thought the figure higher. Do you remember if that was for USA? I would think that in Utah it would be higher but I don't know.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_TrashcanMan79
_Emeritus

Post by _TrashcanMan79 »

As he so often does, Rolly nails it: "Selective prohibitions of LDS Church lobbying"

The rant posted this week against the LDS Church’s support of the guest-worker bill passed by the Utah Legislature comes from a conservative group of mostly Mormons who seem incensed by any notion the church lobbied for immigration bills.

That group, however, hasn’t seemed too concerned about other instances of alleged church involvement in secular affairs.

Ron Mortensen, co-founder of the Utah Coalition on Illegal Immigration, wrote on the Center for Immigration Studies website, and repeated in an interview with The Salt Lake Tribune , that the LDS Church was involved in lobbying for the package of immigration bills that included the guest-worker bill. The guest-worker program, which would allow those in the U.S. illegally to apply for a legal work permit after paying a fine and meeting other conditions, would take effect in 2013.

Mortensen’s point is that LDS Church lobbying on the issue is a bad thing.

There wasn’t the same angst from that group or the vocal Republican delegates at the Salt Lake County convention when the church expressed its support for a bill taking flavored malt beverages out of grocery stores and put exclusively in state-controlled liquor stores — a statement that insured the change would happen.

Where was the angst from that group when the church was accused of meddling in California’s Proposition 8 election, which banned gay marriage?
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Many people nationwide are very hopeful this Utah Compact idea backed by the LDS Church becomes a vital part of national immigration reform. This would well be a shining example of where, in the area of public policy, the Church took the side of the angels and was proactive on human rights.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Joseph
_Emeritus

Post by _Joseph »

"The guest-worker program, which would allow those in the U.S. illegally to apply for a legal work permit after paying a fine and meeting other conditions"

Once again highligting the CORE DOCTRINE and BELIEF of lds-inc: You can buy anything in this world for money. Also explains why big tom and the terrible twelve get paid...
"This is how INGORNAT these fools are!" - darricktevenson

Bow your head and mutter, what in hell am I doing here?

infaymos wrote: "Peterson is the defacto king ping of the Mormon Apologetic world."