LDS Church takes public stance on immigration legislation

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: LDS Church takes public stance on immigration legislation

Post by _moksha »

One thing is clear: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has abandoned its claims to neutrality on these bills.

And that surprised many who have been told repeatedly by the church’s spokesmen that it had no position and that the its lobbyists, Bill Evans and John Taylor, were on Capitol Hill solely to answer questions.

Though Evans and Taylor assured Ron Mortensen, an ardent opponent of illegal immigration, that the church wasn’t actively lobbying on the issue, the two “spent literally the last 10 days in the back alleys of the Capitol, like full-time fixtures,” Mortensen said. “It wouldn’t have taken that much time to say the church is neutral.”

Both supporters and opponents agree that the church’s endorsement of the Utah Compact and its involvement in the legislative process was a game-changer.

Assurances that they were not lobbying when they were actively lobbying sounds like these two could be future guest lecturers in apologetics at the Y.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_karl61
_Emeritus

Post by _karl61 »

honoring, obeying and sustaining the law *

* except when.......;
when ...............;
when .............. ;)
I want to fly!
_karl61
_Emeritus

Post by _karl61 »

I want to fly!
_Dwight Frye
_Emeritus

Post by _Dwight Frye »

But it has left faithful Mormons who support strict enforcement of immigration laws grappling with the message from their ecclesiastical leaders.

“I am shocked that the church would support a bill that literally sacrifices 50,000 Utah children, who are the victims of identity theft, for the benefit of illegal aliens,” Mortensen said. “The church has sent so many conflicting messages, I just don’t know where they are coming from.”

I lol'ed.
"Christian anti-Mormons are no different than that wonderful old man down the street who turns out to be a child molester." - Obiwan, nutjob Mormon apologist - Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:25 pm
_Buffalo
_Emeritus

Post by _Buffalo »

The conservative members (read: 80% of the church) are going to hate this.
Parley P. Pratt wrote:We must lie to support brother Joseph, it is our duty to do so.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.
_Joseph
_Emeritus

Post by _Joseph »

Liars, thieves and hypocrites... so what else is new?
"This is how INGORNAT these fools are!" - darricktevenson

Bow your head and mutter, what in hell am I doing here?

infaymos wrote: "Peterson is the defacto king ping of the Mormon Apologetic world."
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Buffalo wrote:The conservative members (read: 80% of the church) are going to hate this.

I think your estimate of 80% conservative members is conservative.

67% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Baker
_Emeritus

Post by _Baker »

Will be interesting to read defenses of the church's position on the mopo side from those who clearly disagree on a personal level.

Is this primarily motivated by protecting a growth stream?
Last edited by Guest on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. ... Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I." - Joseph Smith, 1844