Most common reasons people consider leaving/leave the Church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Most common reasons people consider leaving/leave the Church

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hey all,

I recently had an opportunity to discuss the topic of people who leave Mormonism (There were 8 of us and we are all friends). None of us are, or have ever been Mormon so I am not certain that our opinions/thoughts posses any real merit or authority on the subject.

Sooooooo, I thought I would ask the question here.

What would you say are the top 2 or 3 reasons (in order) that Mormons have left the LDS Church?

Feel free to add anything that you think is important to your answer/answers.

Thanks and peace,
Ceeboo
_Baker
_Emeritus

Re: Most common reasons people consider leaving/leave the Church

Post by _Baker »

1. Never really committed enough to abide by the program in the face of other options. Maybe the vast majority - types that would never bother to find their way to a message board like this. These are they who may not care much if the church is true.

2. Extremely convicted and later disillusioned by conflicting evidence. This describes many of us here. These are they who may be emotionally shattered at the realization that the church may not be true.

3. Partially convicted but decide to leave based on a cost/benefit analysis. I see this one a lot with couples who move away from the corridor and no longer have the direct social and familial pressures to stay active. These are they who may continue to answer in the affirmative if they believe the church is true.
"I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. ... Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I." - Joseph Smith, 1844
_Joseph
_Emeritus

Post by _Joseph »

When questions come up, no answers other than 'have faith'. Gordon Hinckley denying polygamy and eternal progression hit a lot and started questioning.

For some of us who are older Paul Dunn turning out to be a liar with the brethren knowing it was a big one.
"This is how INGORNAT these fools are!" - darricktevenson

Bow your head and mutter, what in hell am I doing here?

infaymos wrote: "Peterson is the defacto king ping of the Mormon Apologetic world."
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

1. Realize it isn't true

2. After #1 happens, they realize life is simply better if you get OUT
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Now, Zee, don't you know that every person who leaves the Church either leaves for one of two reasons:

1. They were offended by a member.

2. They wanted to go sin.

LOL

[/sarcasm off]
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

The top reason most people leave the church is that they are new converts who did not form a strong enough attachment to the church for whatever reason and they lose interest quickly after the novelty wears off. The inactivity rate of new converts is extremely high.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

1. Offended by someone saying or doing something. (Most common, these usually stay on records and stop attending)
2. Don't want to participate, usually consider it a hassle.
3. Convinced it isn't true, usually through demonic influence. :)
4. Didn't get a calling or position of importance they thought they deserved.
5. Decided they preferred something the gospel labels as 'sin' to the gospel.
6. Start demonizing other Church members and/or leaders because of annoyance, anger, jealousy, or hatred. Eventually leave in disgust after they see everything as evil (Nightlion is an extreme example of this type).
7. Never really believed and left when external supports gave out (they grow up, leave the Mormon Corridor, or move and find no new LDS social circle).
8. They make a deal with the devil for wealth and fame in exchange for their soul (Rare, I've only met one).
9. Missed the parable of 'counting the cost' before they join and realize it's too much effort to continue, very common with new converts.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_MrStakhanovite
_Emeritus

Post by _MrStakhanovite »

The Nehor wrote:8. They make a deal with the devil for wealth and fame in exchange for their soul (Rare, I've only met one).

for real?
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

MrStakhanovite wrote:
The Nehor wrote:8. They make a deal with the devil for wealth and fame in exchange for their soul (Rare, I've only met one).

for real?

Yeah, the guy was pretty crazy. He's made the deal a year ago and claimed the devil accepted it. He was impoverished and unknown when I talked to him. When I tried to suggest he should ask for a refund due to the devil not fulfilling his part of the bargain he kicked me out of his house telling me 'it is all coming'.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

The Nehor wrote:8. They make a deal with the devil for wealth and fame in exchange for their soul

I would have missed this if Stak didn't mention it. Simply put, this is by far the coolest reason. I wish I could say as much.

A deal with the devil is a very hard bargain! Kudos to the person that can hold their end!
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.