How To Spot an Anti-Mormon Book

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Simon Belmont

How To Spot an Anti-Mormon Book

Post by _Simon Belmont »

Spotting an anti-Mormon book: Davis Bitton

In this article, LDS historian Davis Bitton guides readers on how to determine if a book is anti-Mormon. He makes some great points:

The Publisher

Books published by faithful Latter-day Saint publishers such as Deseret Book, Horizon, and Covenant Communications, as well as articles appearing in BYU Studies, church magazines, and the online Meridian Magazine can safely be assumed not to be anti-Mormon [...] Not everything published in Latter-day Saint books and periodicals is of the same quality nor is it intended for the same age level. But anyone who refuses to read any such material is depriving himself of some excellent, important work of very high quality [...] Am I suggesting that works produced by other publishers or appearing in other periodicals are necessarily anti-Mormon? No. They may or may not be. Several university presses and nonchurch publishers have brought out important works that deserve a respectful reading. Some of their books are the best treatment of their subject. Examples from a long list of publishers could be cited. Some presses have a very good record of publishing solid, reliable treatments of Mormon subjects. Others have a mixed record or lean strongly toward the negative.

Inaccuracy

Start reading at the beginning. Or turn to a chapter on a subject about which you already know something. If you come across statements that are simply inaccurate or leave a misleading impression, start counting. One or two of these on nonessential matters can perhaps be overlooked. But if they accumulate, if you find yourself saying "Oh, no" or "What?" time after time, the chances are that the book is anti-Mormon.

Interpretation

After deciding what to include, writers explain what it means. Or by the way they tell the story, they imply an interpretation. I am not so tender-eared that the church must always be presented pure as the driven snow. Situations can be complicated. Individuals with tempers and poor judgment sometimes say things or do things we are not proud of. The point of view of outsiders, even if skewed, becomes part of the historical reality and should be recognized and, if possible, understood. But if a book misses no opportunity to cast Mormons as villains, if it always shows the church, its leaders, its people, and its beliefs in the worst possible light, it deserves the anti-Mormon label.

Read the article for more!
_mentalgymnast

Re: How To Spot an Anti-Mormon Book

Post by _mentalgymnast »

From Bitton:
When someone tells me that she never reads material put out by FARMS (the Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies), I conclude that she is less interested in Mormons than in cultivating her prejudice.

...still the man hears what he wants to hear & disregards the rest.
Paul Simon

Regards,
MG
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

I most love the preface as to who is an anti-Mormon.

It would be more than a little ridiculous to think of all who are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as anti-Mormons. It might induce some needed humility to discover how many throughout the world's population don't even know we exist, or if they know, think of us on a superficial, inaccurate level. Those good folks are not anti-Mormons.

Seriously? Are you sure that they're not anti-Mormons?
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

mentalgymnast wrote:From Bitton:
When someone tells me that she never reads material put out by FARMS (the Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies), I conclude that she is less interested in Mormons than in cultivating her prejudice.

...still the man hears what he wants to hear & disregards the rest.
Paul Simon

Regards,
MG

True, but I find more members who will not read material critical of their views or beliefs more then most critics.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Simon Belmont wrote:

Read the article for more!

I have to laugh at two of the three you listed. Inaccuracy and interpretation are staples of many Fair and farms articles I have read over the years. I guess they must be anti-Mormon. The term becomes so useless the way many people like yourself try to define it.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I was trying to research how Scientologists define anti-scientologists and found that they are both members of a repressive Psychiatric Establishment and have anti-social personalities.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_jon
_Emeritus

Post by _jon »

From Simon's post,

''Inaccuracy

Quote:
Start reading at the beginning. Or turn to a chapter on a subject about which you already know something. If you come across statements that are simply inaccurate or leave a misleading impression, start counting. One or two of these on nonessential matters can perhaps be overlooked. But if they accumulate, if you find yourself saying "Oh, no" or "What?" time after time, the chances are that the book is anti-Mormon.''

So, the Book of Mormon by this standard becomes anti-Mormon then...
'Church pictures are not always accurate' (The Nehor May 4th 2011)

Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.
_Buffalo
_Emeritus

Post by _Buffalo »

Using Davis Bitton's criteria, I have identified the follow anti-Mormon texts:

Parley P. Pratt wrote:We must lie to support brother Joseph, it is our duty to do so.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.
_Simon Belmont

Post by _Simon Belmont »

jon wrote:
So, the Book of Mormon by this standard becomes anti-Mormon then...

Oh you must think you're just so damn funny.

Har har.
_Simon Belmont

Post by _Simon Belmont »

Buffalo wrote:Using Davis Bitton's criteria, I have identified the follow anti-Mormon texts:

I don't see how any of those fit the criteria.