It's not the church of Jesus Christ-

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
slskipper
Sunbeam

It's not the church of Jesus Christ-

Post by slskipper »

It's the church of Cleon Skousen.

Convince me otherwise.

Recent events have ripped the cover off the facade of nice that has protected Mormonism for so long. The face mask/vaxx thing has exposed Mormonism's true colors. In so many ways I feel vindicated, after having spent all my formative years feeling guilty and depraved because I never quite saw things like the other Mormons saw them. Now I at least know I'm an okay person.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: It's not the church of Jesus Christ-

Post by Res Ipsa »

That’s one of the damaging things about Mormonism — that feeling that something must be wrong with you because you don’t see things the way good Mormons are supposed to.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
slskipper
Sunbeam

Post by slskipper »

Thank you.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

slskipper wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:04 am
Thank you.
And the Church could simply disappear tomorrow and you would still be your. Or it could baptize a gazillion people next year and you would still be you.

You don’t need anything from the Mormon Church to validate who you are. As they say, shake the dust off your feet and be you.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Dr. Sunstoned
Valiant A

Post by Dr. Sunstoned »

My self worth improved improved (I want to say healed) after I finally left the church. It's a control tactic of the church to keep members thinking they are not good enough and the only way to fix yourself is to head the guidance from Q15. They keep harping on doing better, lengthen your stride, be perfect. If you feel flawed its because of the continuous toxic stream of crap coming from the COB. Most of the messages from SLC are control based.
Rick Grunder
Sunbeam

Post by Rick Grunder »

Thanks for this thread, Skipper -

Overbearing systems affect different people in a wide variety of ways. Some individuals seem to shed the impossible parts like water off a duck's back. Many of us, on the other hand, have suffered, and can relate to thoughts being shared here. I tried to express a bit of this in a fictional context, a couple of years ago, like this:
Ironically, as soon as Joh . . . started questioning things, she became more confident all around. She was astonished to discover that what she had once identified as her “spirituality” had little to do with religion. She gradually learned tolerance instead, and she began to like herself and others.
“I prefer tongue-tied knowledge to ignorant loquacity.”
― Cicero, De Oratore - Book III
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Some of the members sure make it seem that way.

But it’s also the church of Kirton McConkie. The Church of The Correlation Department. The church of Ensign Peak Investments.

These two forces are currently battling it out, finally, after the vaccine announcement. And it has nothing to do with Jesus Christ, on either side.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:25 pm
Some of the members sure make it seem that way.

But it’s also the church of Kirton McConkie. The Church of The Correlation Department. The church of Ensign Peak Investments.

These two forces are currently battling it out, finally, after the vaccine announcement. And it has nothing to do with Jesus Christ, on either side.
UPDATE:
It is now Kirton McConkie Monson. Thomas's son, the sexual pervert? Yeah him, he got canned out of his job for sexual harassment, and so Kirton McConkie hired the prophet's son, because... you know..... blood of the prophet deserves the very highest salary regardless of his personal morality. See new podcast episode of Bill Reel and Radio Free Mormon for knowing this is not just sourpuss gossip, but the real McCoy.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

The answer is D.