Any Christian artifacts found to support Book of Mormon historicity?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Any Christian artifacts found to support Book of Mormon historicity?

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

Given the story in the Book of Mormon that these Ancestors of the native Americas where at several points in their history to have been Christians, are there any artifacts that have been found in any archeological digs in any of the Americas that support the claim that the native Americans were are one point devout Christians?
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_harmony
_Emeritus

Re: Any Christian artifacts found to support Book of Mormon hist

Post by _harmony »

There aren't even any artifacts that support the Bible and Christianity, let alone Book of Mormon and Mormonism. Although there is something that was uncovered that had King David's name on it, that still doesn't support the Bible's ideas about King David and/or Isreal.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_Simon Belmont

Post by _Simon Belmont »

edited by harmony. Violation of Universal Rule #4. Stay on topic.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hey harmony,

harmony wrote:There aren't even any artifacts that support the Bible and Christianity, let alone Book of Mormon and Mormonism.

I am not being contentious (promise), but depending on what you mean by "arficats", there are over 5,000 manuscripts (or pieces of manuscripts) that have been found, most of which are dated between the 1st and 2nd century. In addition, I remember reading something about a "house Church" that was escavated around 1960 somthing to around 1990 something that seems to clearly show that this house (I think it was in or near Capernius) was a gathering place (Church) for early Christians. There are many more things that could be placed on a list that would at least lend some support for a claim of biblical New Testament/Christian artifacts, in my opinion.

As far as artifacts found that support the Book of Mormon historicity, I am aware of none.

Peace,
Ceeboo
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Ceeboo wrote:Hey harmony,

harmony wrote:There aren't even any artifacts that support the Bible and Christianity, let alone Book of Mormon and Mormonism.

I am not being contentious (promise), but depending on what you mean by "arficats", there are over 5,000 manuscripts (or pieces of manuscripts) that have been found, most of which are dated between the 1st and 2nd century. In addition, I remember reading something about a "house Church" that was escavated around 1960 somthing to around 1990 something that seems to clearly show that this house (I think it was in or near Capernius) was a gathering place (Church) for early Christians. There are many more things that could be placed on a list that would at least lend some support for a claim of biblical New Testament/Christian artifacts, in my opinion.

As far as artifacts found that support the Book of Mormon historicity, I am aware of none.

Peace,
Ceeboo

Anything from 6 centuries before Christ? Yeah, I didn't think so. My bad... I should have been clearer that I meant the Old Testament.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_thews
_Emeritus

Post by _thews »

Ceeboo wrote:As far as artifacts found that support the Book of Mormon historicity, I am aware of none.

Peace,
Ceeboo

That's because there aren't any artifacts to support a myth. There should be, if it wasn't a myth, but there isn't.

http://20truths.information/Mormon/archeology.html
"The first myth we need to eliminate is that Book of Mormon archaeology exists…If one is to study Book of Mormon archaeology, then one must have a corpus of data with which to deal. We do not. The Book of Mormon is really there so one can have Book of Mormon studies, and archaeology is really there so one can study archaeology, but the two are not wed. At least they are not wed in reality since no Book of Mormon location is known with reference to modern topography. Biblical archaeology can be studied because we do know where Jerusalem and Jericho were and are, but we do not know where Zarahemla and Bountiful (nor any other location for that matter) were or are. It would seem then that a concentration on geography should be the first order of business, but we have already seen that twenty years of such an approach has left us empty-handed." (Dee F. Green, Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought, Summer 1969, pp. 77-78)

"With all of these great efforts, it cannot be established factually that anyone, from Joseph Smith to the present day, has put his finger on a single point of terrain that was a Book-of-Mormon geographical place. And the hemisphere has been pretty well checked out by competent people. Thousands of sites have been excavated." (Thomas Stuart Ferguson, Written Symposium on Book-of-Mormon Geography: Response of Thomas S. Ferguson to the Norman & Sorenson Papers, p. 4, 1975)

"The bare facts of the matter are that nothing, absolutely nothing, has even shown up in any New World excavation which would suggest to a dispassionate observer that the Book of Mormon, as claimed by Joseph Smith, is a historical document relating to the history of early migrants to our hemisphere." (Michael Coe, Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought, Summer 1973, pp. 42, 46)
2 Tim 4:3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine.
2 Tim 4:4 They will turn their ears away from the truth & turn aside to myths
_madeleine
_Emeritus

Post by _madeleine »

The Old Testament is Hebrew scripture, and there are artifacts that support an ancient Hebrew culture.

There are none to support an idea of Jews in America before 1592. No liturgical traditions, no TORAH (which what sort of Jewish community exists without a Torah?), no celebrations of Jewish high holidays, etc. etc.
Being a Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction -Pope Benedict XVI
_Joseph
_Emeritus

Post by _Joseph »

One major thing has shown up: the lack of crosses in all the historical and archaeological sites in the New World.

We know l-dsinc folk don't like crosses. The lack of them is proof positive to believers that all these older Lamanites and Nephites were really there. If they had not been there we might be finding crosses most everywhere. No crosses shows the Mormon/Christian people were there.

Pray about it and see what happens.
"This is how INGORNAT these fools are!" - darricktevenson

Bow your head and mutter, what in hell am I doing here?

infaymos wrote: "Peterson is the defacto king ping of the Mormon Apologetic world."
_Aristotle Smith
_Emeritus

Post by _Aristotle Smith »

harmony wrote:Anything from 6 centuries before Christ? Yeah, I didn't think so. My bad... I should have been clearer that I meant the Old Testament.

You start seeing unambiguous archaeological evidence in Eretz Israel in the 9th century BCE. The first independent evidence for Israel as a people comes in 1209 BCE in the Merneptah stele.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Simon Belmont wrote:edited by harmony. Violation of Universal Rule #4. Stay on topic.

Because as we all know threads here are filled with nothing but on-topic posts. Harm's moderation is getting really biased people. Someone's got to do something about it.