Never In Provo......

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Joey
_Emeritus

Never In Provo......

Post by _Joey »

or Palmyra, or anywhere in mesoamerica for the Book of Mormon:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/07/ ... -bad-guys/

But I'm betting this will be used as evidence of Book of Mormon history by someone at the MI.
"It's not so much that FARMS scholarship in the area Book of Mormon historicity is "rejected' by the secular academic community as it is they are "ignored". [Daniel Peterson, May, 2004]
_Simon Belmont

Re: Never In Provo......

Post by _Simon Belmont »

What's your deal with Provo?

I mean, you do know the church is headquartered in Salt Lake City, right?
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

Simon Belmont wrote:What's your deal with Provo?

I mean, you do know the church is headquartered in Salt Lake City, right?

I used to live in provo....worst place i ever lived... *shudder*
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_Simon Belmont

Post by _Simon Belmont »

Why, Mep?

I find downtown Provo very charming. It's like Salt Lake must have been 50 years ago. It has the small town feel with the larger town services.
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

You can apostatize in Rio,
in Rio, in Rio
on any given day.
And you can leave the Church while uptown
or downtown, around town
its really hard to say

Or you can leave the Church in LA,
or PA, or AA
Just step up and confess.
But never, never down in Provo,
in Provo, in Provo,
'cause Provo is the best.

Most any place, you can kick the pricks,
Any place at all, even in the sticks
Just name the place where your witness fades
Just might be in the land of Shades

You can apostatize in Oxnard,
my backyard, its not hard,
whichever one you choose.
Or try to leave the Church with fanfare,
a blank stare, don't go there
no matter how, you lose.

And if you exit down in Ogdon,
you're undone, its no fun,
But listen when I say.
Just never, never down in Provo,
in Provo, in Provo,
'Cause that's the place I stay.
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

I once played my trumpet on the corner of Center and Main in Provo and made $6.
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

Simon Belmont wrote:Why, Mep?

I find downtown Provo very charming. It's like Salt Lake must have been 50 years ago. It has the small town feel with the larger town services.

The culture (or lack of any), the people, the lack of anything to do, the housing, the people, no bars, no good coffee shops, the people, BYU, and more. It just wasent a pleasant place to live for me.

EDIT: To put it in context, i grew up in seattle. So for me, utah is severe culture shock.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Mephitus wrote:The culture (or lack of any), the people, the lack of anything to do, the housing, the people, no bars, no good coffee shops, the people, BYU, and more. It just wasent a pleasant place to live for me.

Well, no wonder! You wanted to sin!

EDIT: To put it in context, i grew up in seattle. So for me, utah is severe culture shock.

Seattle is a Sin City wannabe.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_Daniel Peterson
_Emeritus

Post by _Daniel Peterson »

Mephitus wrote:The culture (or lack of any), the people, the lack of anything to do, the housing, the people, no bars, no good coffee shops, the people, BYU, and more. It just wasent a pleasant place to live for me.

I like Seattle very much, myself.

But I enjoy the good people here. And the concerts and the symposia and the plays and the sports events and the lectures and the art and life science and anthropological museums and the very large library and the seminars and BYU's International Cinema and the mountains.

I love being on and near university campuses. Especially when they're not merely commuter schools.
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

I grew up in the Seattle area, and its a deep and crying shame what has become of it (San Francisco North...)

Its become a satrapy of the environmental movement as well, much like California.

It would, however, make a great place for Zion.
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell