Can truth be found only in a free enviornment.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_karl61
_Emeritus

Can truth be found only in a free enviornment.

Post by _karl61 »

somehow I went from a news article about Brady Bunch mom Florence Henderson getting crabs from New York Mayor John Lindsay to searching for who John Lindsay was and found out who he was to locating an article about another John Lindsay who was a scientist who studied where life began billions of years ago on earth, particularly in a rock formation in Australia to a link with many science articles, including this abstract from another author.

"The rock record provides us with unique evidence for testing models as to when and where cellular life first appeared on Earth. Its study, however, requires caution. The biogenicity of stromatolites and ‘microfossils’ older than 3.0 Gyr should not be accepted without critical analysis of morphospace and context, using multiple modern techniques, plus rejection of alternative non-biological (null) hypotheses. The previous view that the co-occurrence of biology-like morphology and carbonaceous chemistry in ancient, microfossil-like objects is a presumptive indicator of biogenicity is not enough. As with the famous Martian microfossils, we need to ask not ‘what do these structures remind us of?’, but ‘what are these structures?’ Earth's oldest putative ‘microfossil’ assemblages within 3.4–3.5 Gyr carbonaceous cherts, such as the Apex Chert, are likewise self-organizing structures that do not pass tests for biogenicity.

There is a preservational paradox in the fossil record prior to ca 2.7 Gyr: suitable rocks (e.g. isotopically light carbonaceous cherts) are widely present, but signals of life are enigmatic and hard to decipher. One new approach includes detailed mapping of well-preserved sandstone grains in the ca 3.4 Gyr Strelley Pool Chert. These can contain endolithic microtubes showing syngenicity, grain selectivity and several levels of geochemical processing. Preliminary studies invite comparison with a class of ambient inclusion trails of putative microbial origin and with the activities of modern anaerobic proteobacteria and volcanic glass euendoliths"

My question is how much real truth can be in an organization when individuals that have spent much time and study on subjects cannot write or say that something should not be accepted.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I want to fly!
_DaniteDan
_Emeritus

Re: Can truth be found only in a free enviornment.

Post by _DaniteDan »

maybe one needs a stricter operational definition of prophet, seer and revelator. you need to all agree on the term before you can test the data, which would be historical - news, journals etc.
If one is forever cautious, can one remain a human being?"

Alexander Solzhenitsyn
_karl61
_Emeritus

Post by _karl61 »

Maybe someone who lived the life of Abraham Lincoln but had the mind of Joseph Smith.
I want to fly!
_DaniteDan
_Emeritus

Post by _DaniteDan »

it was the mind of Joseph Smith that brought the acts of Joseph Smith.
If one is forever cautious, can one remain a human being?"

Alexander Solzhenitsyn
_karl61
_Emeritus

Post by _karl61 »

True.
I want to fly!