Why I lost my virginity

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Abaddon
_Emeritus

Why I lost my virginity

Post by _Abaddon »

Anyone else commit a sin (any sin) because they had already committed it "in your heart"?

The year was 1999. It was June. I was supposed to be preparing for a mission. I was dating a girl that was more forward than any other girl I had dated before (she was a Mormon).

Late at night on a Saturday, she invited me into a dark bedroom where we proceeded to commence with heavy necking and petting. I was lusting this girl with my whole heart yet I knew I should stop and I was planning on it. But then a thought came to my head from the scriptures about lusting after a woman and already committing adultery in your heart.

I had the willpower to stop. I remember it clearly. But I also remember feeling that I had already committed the sin in my heart so what's the difference now? I proceeded to let the girl go all the way (she was the aggressive one). In retrospect, I wish I would've tried to enjoy it more instead of being so nervous and scared.

I KNOW for a fact that the church doesn't punish "sins of the heart" like they punish "sins of the flesh."

I'm curious if anyone else fell into the same rationalization I made based on what you were taught about "sinning in your heart".
_Rambo
_Emeritus

Re: Why I lost my virginity

Post by _Rambo »

Abaddon wrote:
I'm curious if anyone else fell into the same rationalization I made based on what you were taught about "sinning in your heart".

NOOO!!!! Well it least I didn't rationalize that much but I should have.

Did you read the saddest thread on this discussion board called "Missed opportunities to sin." I think shades said it was the saddest thread.

However, I think I did rationalize little sins like downloading music and not paying for it or speeding in my car. There was usually a bunch of stuff I would rationalize everyday.
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Abaddon wrote:Anyone else commit a sin (any sin) because they had already committed it "in your heart"?

Frankly, that's a pretty sad misunderstanding of the teaching.

And I'm assuming that you had (mercifully) never read Mark 9:43 and applied a similarly literalistic reading or things could have been much worse.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Buffalo
_Emeritus

Post by _Buffalo »

Abaddon wrote:Anyone else commit a sin (any sin) because they had already committed it "in your heart"?

The year was 1999. It was June. I was supposed to be preparing for a mission. I was dating a girl that was more forward than any other girl I had dated before (she was a Mormon).

Late at night on a Saturday, she invited me into a dark bedroom where we proceeded to commence with heavy necking and petting. I was lusting this girl with my whole heart yet I knew I should stop and I was planning on it. But then a thought came to my head from the scriptures about lusting after a woman and already committing adultery in your heart.

I had the willpower to stop. I remember it clearly. But I also remember feeling that I had already committed the sin in my heart so what's the difference now? I proceeded to let the girl go all the way (she was the aggressive one). In retrospect, I wish I would've tried to enjoy it more instead of being so nervous and scared.

I KNOW for a fact that the church doesn't punish "sins of the heart" like they punish "sins of the flesh."

Another example of the abstinence violation effect. The church really does shoot itself in the foot with its approach to sin.
Parley P. Pratt wrote:We must lie to support brother Joseph, it is our duty to do so.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.
_Nomad
_Emeritus

Post by _Nomad »

LOL!

That's one of the more pathetic excuses I've ever heard for having fornicated.

I imagine you weren't as hesitant the next time, although the rationalization changed to: "well, I've already done it now, so ..."

Funny how that works, huh?
... she said that she was ready to drive up to Salt Lake City and confront ... Church leaders ... while well armed. The idea was ... dropped ... [because] she didn't have a 12 gauge with her.
-DrW about his friends (Link)
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

I think you were a hormonal, undersexed teenager who wanted to have sex and I think you rationalized a justification for that desire within the theological worldview that you accepted at the time. Had Matthew 5:28 and its counterparts not existed, I think there is a pretty high possibility you would have lost your virginity that night just the same.

That doesn't mean there weren't issues with the way you were taught abstinence, or even what you were taught about Matthew 5:28. But I don't think Matthew 5:28 caused you to lose your virginity.

I'm just glad you've never applied similar reasoning to what 1 John 3:15 teaches regarding hatred and murder. At least, I hope that you haven't.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Nomad
_Emeritus

Post by _Nomad »

MsJack wrote:I think you were a hormonal, undersexed teenager who wanted to have sex and I think you rationalized a justification for that desire ...

Speaking of aggressive ...
... she said that she was ready to drive up to Salt Lake City and confront ... Church leaders ... while well armed. The idea was ... dropped ... [because] she didn't have a 12 gauge with her.
-DrW about his friends (Link)
_LDSToronto
_Emeritus

Post by _LDSToronto »

I wasn't religious when I lost my innocence, so there was no guilt or shame attached. My religious inexperience notwithstanding, I have to say that your story shows a lack of common sense - thinking about having sex and having sex are two *really* different things and it seems a bit dim to equate the two, regardless of what the Bible says. Most teen boys imagine having lots of sex (even the religious ones); none, I would suspect, think it's just as good as having actual sex.

H.
"Others cannot endure their own littleness unless they can translate it into meaningfulness on the largest possible level."
~ Ernest Becker
"Whether you think of it as heavenly or as earthly, if you love life immortality is no consolation for death."
~ Simone de Beauvoir
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Nomad wrote:That's one of the more pathetic excuses I've ever heard for having fornicated.

Nah. The most pathetic would be, "I did what hundreds of millon years of this biological imperative told me to do".
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Sophocles
_Emeritus

Post by _Sophocles »

You know how when you wake up in the morning, your mind is able to come up with all kinds of great reasons to stay in bed, and at the time they really sound compelling?

That's what the OP reminds me of.