Are LDS brides prepared for what they'll wear in sealings?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Re: Are LDS brides prepared for what they'll wear in sealings?

Post by _Jason Bourne »

MsJack wrote:http://www.mormondoctrine.net/Misha%27s ... _story.htm

That story explains it in considerable detail.

Too be fair this is one story and view point. Others have likely felt a similar way. Others have not and have found their wedding day quite lovely. One thing the church could do better in this regards is better prepare. There is much that could be said before one goes that could make the day much better. When I was a bishop i spent about an hour with a first time temple attended covering a lot of ground for the first time attended.
_stemelbow
_Emeritus

Post by _stemelbow »

LDSToronto wrote:Wrong. A *few* women will have seen the sealing ceremony. *Most* women do not see the ceremony prior to their wedding day.

I will have to dig up the letter later, but when I was serving in the stake presidency, so, in the past 8 years, give or take, the First Presidency issued a letter that issued guidelines for allowing women to enter the temple for her own endowment. A woman could enter the temple if:

1. She was called to serve a mission
2. She was getting married
3. She is married to a non-member
4. She is approaching Single Adult age (30)

Young, single sisters were not to be issued recommends, generally, and it was specifically stated that a young single sister was not to be given a recommend just so she could attend the wedding of a friend or family member.

H.

I said many women. I think you're saying I"m wrong for some sort of effect. I'm not wrong. Many women is an accurate statement. And you fail to mention that many sisters that have gone on missions are young too, for some reason.
Love ya tons,
Stem

I ain't nuttin'. don't get all worked up on account of me.
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

stemelbow wrote:
LDSToronto wrote:Wrong. A *few* women will have seen the sealing ceremony. *Most* women do not see the ceremony prior to their wedding day.

I will have to dig up the letter later, but when I was serving in the stake presidency, so, in the past 8 years, give or take, the First Presidency issued a letter that issued guidelines for allowing women to enter the temple for her own endowment. A woman could enter the temple if:

Young, single sisters were not to be issued recommends, generally, and it was specifically stated that a young single sister was not to be given a recommend just so she could attend the wedding of a friend or family member.

H.

I said many women. I think you're saying I"m wrong for some sort of effect. I'm not wrong. Many women is an accurate statement. And you fail to mention that many sisters that have gone on missions are young too, for some reason.

When you said 'many women' how many were you meaning?
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

Out of my peer group, only one of us witnessed a temple wedding prior to their own. That is out of about 40 women; myself, sister/in-laws, high school friends and my current best friends. Actually, I could include my mother and MIL in that, too.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

madeinvoyage wrote:I have heard rumors, and would like to know - it's so conflicting. Is it true that girls don't know what their temple sealings will be like until they're there? Like, what their groom will be wearing too? Or what their vows will consist of?

The bride has to have her endowment done before getting married, so at the very least she'll have some idea what she and her husband will be wearing. The exception would be people who do their endowment session on the same day they get married, but I've never known anyone who did that. Usually they do that a week or two before.

A few months ago, my wife was in a youth class and they were talking about Temples and one of the teenage youth asked about the clothes people wear in the Temple. The adults in the room assumed she was talking about the garments, but it turns out the youth had been recently sealed to her family in the Temple, and her parents wore their Temple clothes, so she got to legitimately see them! According to my wife, the adults did not know how to respond, so they just said something about finding out later and moved on.
_LDSToronto
_Emeritus

Post by _LDSToronto »

stemelbow wrote:

H.

In 2007, 52,686 missionaries served (2007 Statistical Report). 13% were young, single women (Stack, Peggy Fletcher (2007-06-30). "Mission metamorphosis". The Salt Lake Tribune.)

That means 6,849 young single sisters served missions. With a population of 13,193,999, using a proportion similar to the 2000 US census, one can reasonably assume that 3% of the LDS population are female of mission age, or 395,820.

That means that 1.7 percent of the single young females served missions in 2007, approximately. Let's be generous and triple the amount of single young females serving missions to account for those who served in prior years but did not marry. That gives us 5.1% of all single young sisters who hold temple recommends without being married, and who are between the age of 21 and 24 (or 27 if you account for accumulation)

My numbers might be a bit off, as this was done with 5 minutes of googling and a pocket calculator, but, 5.1% of single sisters doesn't sound like 'many' single sisters to me, stem!

H.
"Others cannot endure their own littleness unless they can translate it into meaningfulness on the largest possible level."
~ Ernest Becker
"Whether you think of it as heavenly or as earthly, if you love life immortality is no consolation for death."
~ Simone de Beauvoir
_stemelbow
_Emeritus

Post by _stemelbow »

Drifting wrote:When you said 'many women' how many were you meaning?

More than a thousand but less than a million, approximately.
Love ya tons,
Stem

_stemelbow
_Emeritus

Post by _stemelbow »

just me wrote:Out of my peer group, only one of us witnessed a temple wedding prior to their own. That is out of about 40 women; myself, sister/in-laws, high school friends and my current best friends. Actually, I could include my mother and MIL in that, too.

We run in different circles. Of the women in my group of about 40, I can't think of more who had attended the temple pre-marriage than not. But, as it is, that doesn't matter. The impression given in the posts before I commented was that no women had been to the temple before marriage.
Love ya tons,
Stem

_stemelbow
_Emeritus

Post by _stemelbow »

LDSToronto wrote:In 2007, 52,686 missionaries served (2007 Statistical Report). 13% were young, single women (Stack, Peggy Fletcher (2007-06-30). "Mission metamorphosis". The Salt Lake Tribune.)

That means 6,849 young single sisters served missions. With a population of 13,193,999, using a proportion similar to the 2000 US census, one can reasonably assume that 3% of the LDS population are female of mission age, or 395,820.

That's fairly unfair, seeing as there is no reason to assume that all the estimated 395,820 are to be sealed in the temple, attend church, consider themselves Mormon or any of that. But still, just to be clear, to most people 6,849 can be said to be many people.

That means that 1.7 percent of the single young females served missions in 2007, approximately. Let's be generous and triple the amount of single young females serving missions to account for those who served in prior years but did not marry. That gives us 5.1% of all single young sisters who hold temple recommends without being married, and who are between the age of 21 and 24 (or 27 if you account for accumulation)

That is wrong-headed. You have to stretch that out to all women in the Church who have been sealed. If say 6,500 current young women between the ages of 21-24 will be sealed, then perhaps, proportionally we can extend that number to women who are all the way into their 70s and beyond. Afterall we are talking about all LDS women right? I mean to spin it as you have done is just silly. But beyond that, it doesn't matter anyway, because given the smallest figure you can come up with of 6,849 we still have a reasonable categorization of "many". So what game are you playing?

My numbers might be a bit off, as this was done with 5 minutes of googling and a pocket calculator, but, 5.1% of single sisters doesn't sound like 'many' single sisters to me, stem!

H.

Hate to say it, but its clear to me you're just being obtuse now. 5.1% of a million can be said to be many in anyone's mind.
Love ya tons,
Stem

_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

stemelbow wrote:
Drifting wrote:When you said 'many women' how many were you meaning?

More than a thousand but less than a million, approximately.

I used to think you probably made stuff up to try and sound knowledgeable, thank you for clearing that up for me.
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator