Bishop resigns from church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Bishop resigns from church

Post by _DarkHelmet »

http://stevebloor.wordpress.com/2011/12 ... ir-bishop/

Let me reassure you I am not resigning as a result of sin, or weakness or being offended by anyone. I loved the gospel and the Church, and loved serving you as your bishop.

This guy obviously resigned because of sin, or weakness, or because he let himself get offended. So not only is he an apostate, but he's also a liar.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Re: Bishop resigns from church

Post by _zeezrom »

Don't forget that the church considers the emoyment of critical thinking a sin. http://lds.org/ensign/1987/02/criticism ... al+thought
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

What I find most interesting about the whole story is that his superordinates in the Church "ordered" him not to disclose his doubts or discuss them with others.

Other folks have had similar experiences when disclosing doubts to Church leaders. A fairly typical response from a Bishop or SP, especially when the doubting member is a prominent member of the Ward, is - "Have you told any others about this (and if so, who)?"
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Buffalo
_Emeritus

Post by _Buffalo »

DrW wrote:What I find most interesting about the whole story is that his superordinates in the Church "ordered" him not to disclose his doubts or discuss them with others.

Other folks have has similar experiences when disclosing doubts to Church leaders. A fairly typical response from a Bishop or SP, especially when the doubting member is a prominent member of the Ward, is - "Have you told any others about this (and if so, who)?"

That should have gone in my "creepy" list.
Parley P. Pratt wrote:We must lie to support brother Joseph, it is our duty to do so.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

I really liked this quote from his letter:
the ex-Bishop wrote:My testimony of the Church has been found wanting. What hurt most was discovering that I had gained a testimony of things as they were made to appear, rather than the truth.
I was hurt by discovering that prophets in times past were “economical with the truth”, at best, in order to protect the Church and this practice continues to this day. (emphasis added by me)

Any believers who are honestly unsure of what he means by "things as they were made to appear" should listen to this Mormon Expression podcast on BKP's "The Mantle is Far, Far Greater Than the Intellect" speech.

In the grand scheme of things, the LDS leaders' strategy of whitewashing the truth seems successful at protecting a great many testimonies, for as long as people remain unaware that they've been, essentially, lied to. This comes at the expense of the anger, hurt, and departure of many of those who find out. I have to wonder if the Internet is changing the calculus of this decision.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_LDS truthseeker
_Emeritus

Post by _LDS truthseeker »

Yeah it is disturbing when the leaders are more concerned with knowing who you told rather than trying to understand your issues and try to find explanations for them.
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

DrW wrote: A fairly typical response from a Bishop or SP, especially when the doubting member is a prominent member of the Ward, is - "Have you told any others about this (and if so, who)?"

In this case he can reply, "I only told the Internet."
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

He's brave.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Hades
_Emeritus

Post by _Hades »

A bishop falls to the buffetings of Satan and thanks to the internet we all know about it.
I'm the apostate your bishop warned you about.
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

This guy resigned in January 2011. I remember that it was discussed then. Now he posted the letter again. The poor guy really wants attention. I kinda feel sorry for him. Why repost the letter? Anyway, it is still getting him attention.
I intend to lay a foundation that will revolutionize the whole world.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith