Christians do you follow the right religion?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Re: Christians do you follow the right religion?

Post by _bcspace »

Anyways, Christians on the board how do you know you have the true religion?

Agreed, this is a very Mormon way of framing the question and I don't think a helpful one.

I don't think Mormons realize what a can of worms they are opening up with that question. It's an epistemological rabbit hole. As far as I know there is no philosophical position which provides any ability to say, "I know X is true" with absolute certainty for any value of X. The sooner one stops playing that game, the sooner sanity returns.

It's the only logical question to ask if one believes or hopes for a God who is not a liar or a respecter of persons. If there is no one true religion/philosophy then God does not exist. If there is more than one, then God is absolutely a liar and a respecter of persons.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_madeleine
_Emeritus

Post by _madeleine »

Yes, the first time someone told me it was normal to have doubts, I did a Snoopy happy dance. I was freed, in that one small sentence, to follow God according to my own conscience. Doubt is normal, and if anything, the following of doubts to a rational resolution has only firmed my faith.

St. Thomas doubted, until he put his hands into the wounds of the Risen Christ. God knows, as He is our Creator, our every need.
Being a Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction -Pope Benedict XVI
_madeleine
_Emeritus

Post by _madeleine »

bcspace wrote:
It's the only logical question to ask if one believes or hopes for a God who is not a liar or a respecter of persons. If there is no one true religion/philosophy then God does not exist. If there is more than one, then God is absolutely a liar and a respecter of persons.

I can only say, for a Christian, truth is not an ideal or a philosophy, Truth is a Person: Jesus Christ.
Being a Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction -Pope Benedict XVI
_thews
_Emeritus

Post by _thews »

bcspace wrote:It's the only logical question to ask if one believes or hopes for a God who is not a liar or a respecter of persons. If there is no one true religion/philosophy then God does not exist.

You're a brainwashed fool if you actually believe this.

bcspace wrote: If there is more than one, then God is absolutely a liar and a respecter of persons.

How dare you diss god for what God deems appropriate. Christianity has nothing to do with Mormonism, as ther eisn't one shred of Mormon doctrine that's Christian... go play in a different sandbox brainwashed fool.
2 Tim 4:3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine.
2 Tim 4:4 They will turn their ears away from the truth & turn aside to myths
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

bcspace wrote: If there is no one true religion/philosophy then God does not exist.

This gives a sigh of relief to all the collective council. Manitou says Bcspace strong like buffalo, while Ganesha blows water in his general direction.

Breathing sigh of relief in Reformed Lamanite
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

I see brother salmon. The running river. Life is good.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

God is absolutely a respecter of persons. If he were not he would appear to us all, instead of an elite few of the nobel and great.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

bcspace wrote:

What if every single religion had overegged the pudding by mingling the philosophies of men with scripture? There certainly could be a situation where God exists without there being one true (the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth) religion on the earth.

God is only a liar if He has spoken to you directly face to face and what He said turned out to be false. Instead, you rely on second hand accounts from agenda driven authors of what God is supposed to have said. And what you should or should not ascribe to God is determined by what other men say you should be feeling and their explanations and interpretations of what it means if you are not having the 'correct' feelings.

If I want to speak to my son, I ring him up and speak to him even if he hasn't asked me to call. Or I will go and visit him and take him for lunch. I don't get a series of strangers to pass on to him what I want to tell him. I don't get him to listen to others interpretations of what they think it is I want to say to him. I just tell him directly.

If God exists and He is our Heavenly Father then I rather suspect He doesn't need intermediaries. He knows where I am, He's got my number, He can speak to me any time He wants. Sadly, He always expects me to make the effort to call Him...
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_Corpsegrinder
_Emeritus

Post by _Corpsegrinder »

Aristotle Smith wrote:Agreed, this is a very Mormon way of framing the question and I don't think a helpful one.

I don't think Mormons realize what a can of worms they are opening up with that question. It's an epistemological rabbit hole. As far as I know there is no philosophical position which provides any ability to say, "I know X is true" with absolute certainty for any value of X. The sooner one stops playing that game, the sooner sanity returns.

I decided on Christianity pretty much the same way I decided on any major life decision (changing a career, the decision to have kids, who to marry, etc.). It was a combination of rational thought, feeling good about it, trying it out, overcoming fears, etc. I don't think Christianity requires absolute certainty, nor absence of doubt, after all the just live by faith, not by Cartesian certainty (which I don't think exists anyway).

I agree, it’s silly for Mormons to claim that they are the one “true religion”.

But how is this substantially different from…

…Pope Benedict’s claims that “Catholicism is the only true church”?

…CARM’s claims that “Christianity is the only true religion”?

…Christianity’s claims that “Christianity is the only true path to salvation”?

…the New Testament’s claims that Jesus is the only “true god”?

…and etc.

In other words, this isn't just a Mormon way of framing the question; it's basic human nature.

Drifting wrote:What if every single religion had overegged the pudding by mingling the philosophies of men with scripture? There certainly could be a situation where God exists without there being one true (the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth) religion on the earth.

God is only a liar if He has spoken to you directly face to face and what He said turned out to be false. Instead, you rely on second hand accounts from agenda driven authors of what God is supposed to have said. And what you should or should not ascribe to God is determined by what other men say you should be feeling and their explanations and interpretations of what it means if you are not having the 'correct' feelings.

If I want to speak to my son, I ring him up and speak to him even if he hasn't asked me to call. Or I will go and visit him and take him for lunch. I don't get a series of strangers to pass on to him what I want to tell him. I don't get him to listen to others interpretations of what they think it is I want to say to him. I just tell him directly.

If God exists and He is our Heavenly Father then I rather suspect He doesn't need intermediaries. He knows where I am, He's got my number, He can speak to me any time He wants. Sadly, He always expects me to make the effort to call Him...

+1
_Buffalo
_Emeritus

Post by _Buffalo »

bcspace wrote:

Similarly if Mormonism is true, then God is absolutely a liar and a respecter of persons.
Parley P. Pratt wrote:We must lie to support brother Joseph, it is our duty to do so.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.