Is Harry Reid Now Moving Toward Official Church Discipline?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Re: Is Harry Reid Now Moving Toward Official Church Discipli

Post by _Droopy »

EAllusion wrote:
You are now an official Austrian/Chicago School free market thinker

Wtf? Those are completely different macroeconomic schools of thought. They're diametrically opposed on one of their most key arenas in a way that is relevant to what you are talking about. It's like all you care about is that they are both associated with conservatism.

I think that's a fairly exaggerated statement regarding the differences. They are not diametrically opposed. There are strong disagreements between them on certain issues, but they are not "diametrically opposed." They are both libertarian schools of economics and political economy, and both are utterly opposed to the Left and to etatism broadly speaking. Both accept a number of similar core ideas and first principles.

I do care that they are both associated with conservatism (which is a good thing, conservatism being a good thing), but that's a banality. The school of conservatism to which I subscribe, the fusionist philosophy that has pretty much defined mainstream contemporary conservatism since the mid-fifties, is a hybrid of conservative and libertarian concepts.

There are, however, aspects of Austrian libertarianism that are not compatible with modern conservatism, and with which many conservatives (me among them), would strenuously disagree.
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Droopy wrote:I think that's a fairly exaggerated statement regarding the differences.

Compare and contrast Austrian views on monetary policy with the monetarism of Friedman.

They are both libertarian schools of economics and political economy, and both are utterly opposed to the Left and to etatism broadly speaking.

Obama's chief economic advisor for quite some time is a Chicago school economist into applying public choice theory. I'm not sure if this breaks your view of Obama or Chicago school economics.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Jason Bourne wrote:
I love it when people who want to be known as active LDS stalwarts have to plead, backpeddle and dance in order to ingnore the plain and simple teaching of Jesus Christ where he said not to judge and that we will be judged with that same judgement with which we judge.

Droopy wrote:[No one's dancing but you to preserve the rationalizations

Yes you certainly are. I am well familiar with the passages of scripture as well as teachings of LDS leaders on this subject. There is a distinguishing factor in both scripture and comments by GAs about this. Sure one must judge situations and behaviors in order to avoid becoming involved in things that can be risky and harmful both from a this life situation as well as ones standing before God. But judging and condemning people ferquently as you do here (see immediatly below) it what Jesus meant when he said to not judge and with the same judgement with which you judge you will be judged. I know you know these passages well. No need for me to quote them to you.

Based on how often you get on the high an mighty horse of pointing out my (alleged according to you) apostasy, covenant breaking (which you have no way in knowing where I stand on this since you do not interact with me in real life) you should be concerned. You often judge others harshly as well as quickly. You do it often simply because they view things (both politically and doctrinally) than you do.

for your unwillingness to obey and be faithful in living the gospel and upholding and defending the covenants you took upon yourself at baptism.

This us unrightous judgement. This is what D&C 64:9-11 is referring to when we are commanded to forgive all men and let the Lord Judge. You only know me from this board. Yet you blanketly condemn me (and so many others here) on a not infrequent basis. How do you know what I do and do not do in real life?

Now my memory may fail me some but I never recall judging others so harshly when I took the role of defender. I crossed swords in my day plenty with Harmony. I do not recall once when I was a hobby apologist ever questioning her about her TR and how she answers, etc. I stuck to debating the issues. I did not name call or denigrate her that I can recall. She can correct me if she is reading this.

Yet you do that very frequently with many NOM types here who may be struggling to maintain activity in the Church for many reasons but may be doing it in a modified way from you or what maybe they used to do. In fact this approach is often the main platform of your so called defense. You seek to diminish or attempt to gult the NOMer by being a bully about their stance in the Church. It is tiresome and boring really.

Nowhere in the scriptures is there a blanket, absolutist maxim that tells human beings not to judge.

Regarding the judgement of persons and there standing before God this seems fairly absolute:

Matthew 7:1-5
1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what ajudgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.

This is squirming, out-of-context piffle.

Tell that to Jesus who said what I quoted above.

We are not to judge unrighteousnesly; we are not to judge out of impure motives or for malicious, personal reasons, but we are to judge (inspect, discern, discriminate, think, reflect, ponder, weigh, and conclude) as a matter of principle and judge well, for our own sake, as well as for the sake of others who may need to be told the truth about themselves to their face now and then.

I think the first half of what you say above is accurate. The last half not so unless you have a stewardship over the person. Here you do not have that at all.

Stop being such a sanctimonious pansy and twisting in the wind over your own apostasy from the gospel.

So much for not name calling. Please don't plead innocence again as you do further above in this thread. Simply put you are an attack dog and you have little toleration for anyone who disagrees with you about anything. A brother in the gospel calling someone a pansy really seems outside the realm of what D&C 121 councils. Is this how you act towards in inactive family you are asked to home teach?

Clearly, its bothering you, at some level.

Are you a mind reader now? But no, Droopy, you are simply wrong. Don't read yourself into me. I am quite fine and happier than I have been in years. I know the truth about many things these days and see things as they really are. I wish they were different. I really do. I spent a few hours with my father today discussing much of this. I got some wise council from my dad, who is not active in the Church but very well read and studied in it. I won't bother to share it with you other than he very much encourages me to continue to make the LDS Church a large part of my life even in spite if the issues that are there. Disappointed?

By the way you have denigrated John Dehlin in misrepresenting him and calling him a wolf in sheeps clothing. Be honest Droopy.

John Delin is an thoroughly apostate critic of the Church and a "ravening wolf" among the flock in every scriptural sense of the term.

Didn't you say above you have never attacked John Dehlin? If what you say above is not an attack (and you have said it over and over again) I don't know what is. But I understand why you think he is a threat. Maybe you are right. Maybe not. But one thing I am sure of is John Dehlin has worked hard in keeping more people IN the LDS Church and has been more succesful at it than you have.

If you wish to whitewash and sanitize his behavior and philosophy, then you become his accomplice in this project to deracinate the Church of a number of its core principles and doctrines.

No Droopy. I am just honest about what he does. You are not and I have pointed our where you are not numerous times.

Droopy I may or may not respond to you if you have more to say. If I don't you should not interpret it as conceding any of your points. Honestly, conversation with you is just so unpleasent and I have to work very hard at it to keep it civil and not to be vindictive or nasty. Maybe I am a pansy. But rather perhaps in spite of the the often vile way you post I still view you as a human being and child of God and I don't like to sink to low manners and incivility if I can avoid it, and I know at times with you and others, I have posted in such a way. I started heading that way in this post but put the brakes on.
Last edited by Lem on Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Joey
_Emeritus

Post by _Joey »

First off, the time trials at the Miller Motorsport Park today were fun to watch, but the best two days of the Tour of Utah will be Saturday and Sunday.  Park City start and finish on Sunday - get to stay at home for that!  Great event up here and has become one of the most respected in our cycling stage internationally!!!

Sure. Let's say I'm trapped on a deserted island with nothing but the clothes I'm wearing. I have no capital. Through my own physical labor I build several shelters using the raw resources found on the island. I then craft tools to use for fishing and trapping. All of these things consitute wealth in every sense of the word and through time I begin to accumulate said wealth.

In your example, can you please explain where this "wealth", you claim to have generated (I don't think you have created any by the way - it's of no value on a deserted island) has been monetized to form capital that can be exchanged for either personal consumption, investment or creation of jobs either on this island or taken with you when you get off this island?  Wealth is in the eye of the beholder.  Capital is in the eye of the market.  No markets - no capital! So you have become a great craftsman on the island,  but where do you employ your skills  to create capital and begin to form labor?

You fail to understand what capital is! Perhaps labor as well!

Your idea of labor is mowing your lawn. True but not relevant to the concept of labor we are discussing here.

[quote]Explain how capital can exist without labor.[\quote]

Are really serious with this question?  Have you not been in tune with our current economy?  Do you have any idea how many articles and discussions there has been about all the capital sitting on the sideline and not being invested because of current White House Admin policies uncertainties?  I have a lot of capital.  More than I will ever need for the rest of my life for personal consumption.  I would love to put more of my capital to work and create jobs and commerce.  But like so many, can't get motivated by the direction of our current political administration.

I don't need labor to have my capital.  But then I just learned I haven't built anything and owe it all to the gov't!

Sorry, got to run to a late dinner up here tonight.  Then I got a lotta labor to employ early tomorrow at Park Meadows.
"It's not so much that FARMS scholarship in the area Book of Mormon historicity is "rejected' by the secular academic community as it is they are "ignored". [Daniel Peterson, May, 2004]
_kjones
_Emeritus

Post by _kjones »

Jason Bourne wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:
I love it when people who want to be known as active LDS stalwarts have to plead, backpeddle and dance in order to ingnore the plain and simple teaching of Jesus Christ where he said not to judge and that we will be judged with that same judgement with which we judge.

Droopy wrote:[No one's dancing but you to preserve the rationalizations

Yes you certainly are. I am well familiar with the passages of scripture as well as teachings of LDS leaders on this subject. There is a distinguishing factor in both scripture and comments by GAs about this. Sure one must judge situations and behaviors in order to avoid becoming involved in things that can be risky and harmful both from a this life situation as well as ones standing before God. But judging and condemning people ferquently as you do here (see immediatly below) it what Jesus meant when he said to not judge and with the same judgement with which you judge you will be judged. I know you know these passages well. No need for me to quote them to you.

Based on how often you get on the high an mighty horse of pointing out my (alleged according to you) apostasy, covenant breaking (which you have no way in knowing where I stand on this since you do not interact with me in real life) you should be concerned. You often judge others harshly as well as quickly. You do it often simply because they view things (both politically and doctrinally) than you do.

for your unwillingness to obey and be faithful in living the gospel and upholding and defending the covenants you took upon yourself at baptism.

This us unrightous judgement. This is what D&C 64:9-11 is referring to when we are commanded to forgive all men and let the Lord Judge. You only know me from this board. Yet you blanketly condemn me (and so many others here) on a not infrequent basis. How do you know what I do and do not do in real life?

Now my memory may fail me some but I never recall judging others so harshly when I took the role of defender. I crossed swords in my day plenty with Harmony. I do not recall once when I was a hobby apologist ever questioning her about her TR and how she answers, etc. I stuck to debating the issues. I did not name call or denigrate her that I can recall. She can correct me if she is reading this.

Yet you do that very frequently with many NOM types here who may be struggling to maintain activity in the Church for many reasons but may be doing it in a modified way from you or what maybe they used to do. In fact this approach is often the main platform of your so called defense. You seek to diminish or attempt to gult the NOMer by being a bully about their stance in the Church. It is tiresome and boring really.

Nowhere in the scriptures is there a blanket, absolutist maxim that tells human beings not to judge.

Regarding the judgement of persons and there standing before God this seems fairly absolute:

Matthew 7:1-5
1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what ajudgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.

This is squirming, out-of-context piffle.

Tell that to Jesus who said what I quoted above.

We are not to judge unrighteousnesly; we are not to judge out of impure motives or for malicious, personal reasons, but we are to judge (inspect, discern, discriminate, think, reflect, ponder, weigh, and conclude) as a matter of principle and judge well, for our own sake, as well as for the sake of others who may need to be told the truth about themselves to their face now and then.

I think the first half of what you say above is accurate. The last half not so unless you have a stewardship over the person. Here you do not have that at all.

Stop being such a sanctimonious pansy and twisting in the wind over your own apostasy from the gospel.

So much for not name calling. Please don't plead innocence again as you do further above in this thread. Simply put you are an attack dog and you have little toleration for anyone who disagrees with you about anything. A brother in the gospel calling someone a pansy really seems outside the realm of what D&C 121 councils. Is this how you act towards in inactive family you are asked to home teach?

Clearly, its bothering you, at some level.

Are you a mind reader now? But no, Droopy, you are simply wrong. Don't read yourself into me. I am quite fine and happier than I have been in years. I know the truth about many things these days and see things as they really are. I wish they were different. I really do. I spent a few hours with my father today discussing much of this. I got some wise council from my dad, who is not active in the Church but very well read and studied in it. I won't bother to share it with you other than he very much encourages me to continue to make the LDS Church a large part of my life even in spite if the issues that are there. Disappointed?

By the way you have denigrated John Dehlin in misrepresenting him and calling him a wolf in sheeps clothing. Be honest Droopy.

John Delin is an thoroughly apostate critic of the Church and a "ravening wolf" among the flock in every scriptural sense of the term.

Didn't you say above you have never attacked John Dehlin? If what you say above is not an attack (and you have said it over and over again) I don't know what is. But I understand why you think he is a threat. Maybe you are right. Maybe not. But one thing I am sure of is John Dehlin has worked hard in keeping more people IN the LDS Church and has been more succesful at it than you have.

If you wish to whitewash and sanitize his behavior and philosophy, then you become his accomplice in this project to deracinate the Church of a number of its core principles and doctrines.

No Droopy. I am just honest about what he does. You are not and I have pointed our where you are not numerous times.

Droopy I may or may not respond to you if you have more to say. If I don't you should not interpret it as conceding any of your points. Honestly, conversation with you is just so unpleasent and I have to work very hard at it to keep it civil and not to be vindictive or nasty. Maybe I am a pansy. But rather perhaps in spite of the the often vile way you post I still view you as a human being and child of God and I don't like to sink to low manners and incivility if I can avoid it, and I know at times with you and others, I have posted in such a way. I started heading that way in this post but put the brakes on.

Amen!
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

Droopy wrote:Any and all conversation between us is now over.

Here's the stable, here's the shovel. You know what to do, as you've dedicated your very life to it thus far.

[quote="Darth J" blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.......blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Oh, so all these halcyon days of your well-informed and cogently reasoned prolixity are over?
_Bond James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond James Bond »

Two issues upon reading this thread (besides Mitt could shut everyone up by giving out his tax returns and since he hasn't...hmmm :question: ):

1) I thought Droopy was not allowed to post about Vietnam and the 1960s.

2) How did this thread divert toward Vietnam and the 1960s (even if briefly)?
Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded.-charity 3/7/07

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Droopy wrote:
huckelberry wrote:Droopy, i am glad you agree with Kevin on this labor and capitol thing. What ever other differences in understanding pop up, it can be remembered that at least this basic area of agreement does exist.

I think you've misread Kevin, or else Kevin is all over the map tonight. Kevin believes that consumer demand drives the economy, and that low demand is why the economy is failing to recover. He also believes that fiat money creation (or confiscated taxes) pumped into the economy as "stimulus" can create general economic growth.

I'm a free-market thinker and claim that production drives the economy, not consumption. The reason the economy isn't recovering is because private investment is very poor, not consumption, and private investment is very poor for one and one reason only.

Government policy.

Kevin has misunderstood the concept of "capital," apparently believing that this term implies simply "money."

Droopy perhaps I should have been more precise. I saw agreement in one post in which Kevin discussed work and capitol. I was already aware that you and Kevin do not agree on broader aspects of the subject.

I did not see a reason to think Kevin understood capitol to mean simply money.
_Bond James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond James Bond »

You know I have a economic question that I'll ask through a scenario. Role play along with me if you will.

Droopy has a paintball range. He has the paintballs and the guns ready to be rented or sold. He has the helmets and protective gear. He has a Slushie machine and a hot pretzel machine for between games. He has two different arenas for those busy Saturday afternoons. He's produced a top notch product. Why does it fail? He has built it...why do they not paintball?
Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded.-charity 3/7/07

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.
_Cicero
_Emeritus

Post by _Cicero »

kjones wrote:The following appeared in the SL Tribune in 2009, following Democrat Bill Orton's death:

Two days before Election Day in 1990, the Utah County Journal , a free newspaper delivered to every household from Lehi to Payson, ran a large ad paid for by the Republican Party. Republican congressional candidate Karl Snow was pictured with his large family above the caption "Karl Snow and his family." On the other side was a picture of Snow's unmarried opponent, Bill Orton. The caption read "Bill Orton and his family."

A larger caption read: "Some candidates want you to believe that their personal values don't matter...Families do matter! Vote Republican."

Snow apologized for the ad, but Orton won by a wide margin, reminding us that Utahns prefer positive campaigns.

I stand corrected. I guess I confused Snow with Cannon since Cannon was the guy who eventually beat him.