Is Harry Reid Now Moving Toward Official Church Discipline?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Joey
_Emeritus

Re: Is Harry Reid Now Moving Toward Official Church Discipli

Post by _Joey »

Golf was great, nice course that Park Meadows.  Kind of a British links layout.  Got to get in some cycling in the afternoon.  You guys here in Utah got some great weather and country. Off to a place called High West Distillery here off Main Street.  Hear they make some good single malt blends!

But a quick response:

Wealth is anything that has value to someone. Basic necessities of life are examples of wealth. You really didn't know this?

I didn't disagree with you.  I said, as you've said, that it is in the eye of the beholder.  Unless their is a market for such "wealth", it remains a purely subjective and personal valuation.

Your attempt to move the goal posts, along with your extended question has no bearing on the fact that what I presented is a perfect example of wealth being created without capital.

We disagree.  Whatever "wealth" you've created cannot be monetized on your island. It may have benefit to you for survival, but it has no value off your island or to anyone else.  At best, in your example, you've created sustenance for survival.  But that has value to you on your island if you want to live I suppose.  

If it makes you happier, let's suppose an entire cruise line was shipwrecked on the same island. Suddenly there is a market for your stockpile of food, shelter, weapons, gardening tools, etc. This becomes "capital" in every sense of the word because you can use it to purchase labor from those in the market for food and shelter.

Well now I think we are getting somewhere on your island!  You have now demonstrated my point.  Your labor (and wealth) can now be monetized by your hypothetical creation of an instant economy and market!!  It's all good now!  Harmony on your island.  An economy and society created with no capital!!  Bravo, bravo! You have demonstrated your genius in macroeconomics. Now I am impressed!

My example was designed to prove the point that capital is not required for labor to create wealth. To prove "capital" can be created from labor without preexisting capital, all I had to do was alter the scenario to include a market. It was quite simple really.

But now who's moving the goal posts!!  With enough hypothetical assumptions all examples and arguments are viable I suppose.

Oooops, almost forgot to ask one question:  How did that cruise ship get built to bring you your instant economy and market?  Damn - capital was required first wasn't it?!?  Someone had to put up the capital to provide the material and labor to build the ship that brought you your instant economy to monetize your wealth.  But a good example if we ignore the realities of economics.

I would probably agree that there was a time labor was capital.  Thousands of years ago or perhaps where 100 % barter economies still exist (don't know of any).  But where there are currencies and markets, labor needs capital.  We have the most unemployed laborers in our economy today since the great depression.  If labor can create wealth, or labor by itself can create commerce, why is unemployment so high today?  Why do we give benefits to the unemployed? Unemployment should be zero by your logic and we should never have to provide govt benefits to this group. All the unemployed should simply, as you tried to demonstrate on your island, go out and create wealth!!!  They don't need the backing of capital - right?  They can create wealth without capital or gov't subsidies! 

[ by the way I am not against unemployment benefits.  I willingly pay into the fund and appreciate the hardships through experiences of some great people I work with and real life experiences]

Our economy, and our freedoms of democracy are very dependent on capital being invested.  And the government can't provide jobs in the long run.  It can give candy and entitlements in the short run, but the bill has to be paid.  Free enterprise, particularly small businesses, have to be allowed to create commerce and provide jobs to generate revenues for our gov't.  They are the largest providers of jobs in this nation.  But they need policies that motivate them to invest, take risks and create jobs.  We got a credit card balance pushing $16 trillion.  If that balance becomes enough of an impairment on the US dollar - we have real problems on the cost of goods in this country.  We have an administration who hasn't provided a budget in almost four years.  I have no problem paying taxes.  But for anyone with any fiscal and economic knowledge, we can't tax our way out of this mess.  The numbers don't add up.  Giving an out of fiscal control administration tax dollars is like giving an addict cash and telling him to go get well.  The two only know one habit, respectively.

I'm still waiting for you to explain for us how capital came into existence without labor.

I never made that statement. CFR?

This is all myth. Please explain how the White House has created fear in corporate America's desire to invest!

I never said "fear", although I am very worried for our future.  We can't ever tax our way out of a deficit this size in a pitiful economy.  Had the current White House administration believed so, they would not have extended the existing rates in 2010.  But now it's ok when you can't run  on your record and need to divide the country into class warfare.  To increase tax rates will absolutely kill small businesses.  If anyone here owns a small business with more than 100 employees, please come forward and let's discuss. But if you have never created a small business you may not appreciate this significant and damaging policy being proposed.  

And how can anyone not lose respect for the current administration when we go and invest in Brazil's offshore oil drilling to be, as our current President exuberantly claimed, "your largest customer"!!!  But he has no problem blocking federal  offshore reserves in this country from being developed while giving jobs to Brazil.  One of my businesses is  a trucking company in the south and i can't tell you how many gulf state people have lost jobs and livelihoods because of this admins energy policies.  I was there delivering free water, ice and staples during Katrina.  These are the greatest people in the country with the BEST work ethics I've ever seen.  They don't want handouts - they have dignity and want to feel the respect of earning a wage. And when this white house chose Brazil over it's own people - well it was disgusting.  This admin politicized the BP disaster.  Used it for all it could to bash offshore drilling.  But supporting the same type of job creator in Brazil - no problem!!  So where is the "so called" environmental concern?  We have a guy in the White House who's largest business transaction, in his life, was buying a house from a convicted felon - Tony Rezco!  And this is a President  who says he understands an economy and the challenges of small businesses?!?!?  A community organizer in action. Perhaps he could make a real impact on this  "deserted island"! If we could only find the capital to ship him the community to organize!  Any investors out there willing  to go halvies with me on THAT capital?

But I wonder. Is Joey really a weak-kneed wimp, or is he just being dishonest with us (and possibly with himself)? After all, if folks like Joey think government borrowing can lead to hyper-inflation, keeping his money on the sideline is risky too--the best way to mitigate that risk would be to invest it in a business where the profits would rise with CPI. Plus, he'd be making a great return in the meantime.

Always want to learn from those with good ideas.  Could you give me your top three ideas by industry or brand description in these CPI correlated businesses and what you believe the answer to the following questions might be:

1.  Are you suggesting active or passive investments? (I think i may already have the passive side covered but that is not a job creator as you obviously well know.)

2. For your top three ideas could you give me your thoughts on what you see as the risk adjusted return ranges might be?

3. What do you believe to be the liquidity avenues for your top three picks and the required hold periods one should expect?

Love your thoughts just want to gain your insights and experiences for your suggestion.  Thanks.

I sense most on this board don't see it as I do.  But everyone I've actually met here in Utah seems to get it.  Im not a Mitt Romney fan.  But I do believe he will do a much better job than what the current guy has demonstrated!

Off for some good sustenance now!

In my absence (I really don't have the time others have to spend here), please refer all your questions directly to this Kishkumen fella - he appears well versed in just about any topic here.  Obviously a true Renaissance man if I may say.
"It's not so much that FARMS scholarship in the area Book of Mormon historicity is "rejected' by the secular academic community as it is they are "ignored". [Daniel Peterson, May, 2004]
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Droopy wrote:
Two weeks before Ronald Reagan creamed Jimmah Carter in the largest landslide in history, a number of polls had Carter ahead (Gallup was one) by a reasonable margin.

Happily, retrodicting some modern forecasting methods yields the results that ultimately happened. Yay science. That's all beside the point, though, as you're claiming that internal Democratic polling is telling them it is going to be a bloodbath for Obama. That this is contradicted by, you know, the evidence doesn't bode well for you. That Reagan and Carter were in dead heat polling until a late break for Reagen doesn't do anything to help your claim.

I never pay any attention to the polls, and never will.

Odd that you'd allude to them validating your claim, then.
_krose
_Emeritus

Post by _krose »

Droopy wrote:Two weeks before Ronald Reagan creamed Jimmah Carter in the largest landslide in history, a number of polls had Carter ahead (Gallup was one) by a reasonable margin.

Just checked out the Gallup site. Their poll just before the 1980 election was:

Reagan 47.0%
Carter 44.0%
Anderson 8.0%

Actual results:

Reagan 50.8%
Carter 41.0%
Anderson 6.6%

That doesn't look like a reasonable margin for Carter. The reverse, in fact. The polls have been pretty accurate over the years, all in all.

Also, the likelihood that you have access to any campaign's internal polling is even lower than your knowledge of business taxation.
"The DNA of fictional populations appears to be the most susceptible to extinction." - Simon Southerton
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

krose wrote:
Droopy wrote:Two weeks before Ronald Reagan creamed Jimmah Carter in the largest landslide in history, a number of polls had Carter ahead (Gallup was one) by a reasonable margin.

Just checked out the Gallup site. Their poll just before the 1980 election was:

Reagan 47.0%
Carter 44.0%
Anderson 8.0%

Actual results:

Reagan 50.8%
Carter 41.0%
Anderson 6.6%

That doesn't look like a reasonable margin for Carter. The reverse, in fact. The polls have been pretty accurate over the years, all in all.

Also, the likelihood that you have access to any campaign's internal polling is even lower than your knowledge of business taxation.

You don't know what you're talking about, but hey, your a leftist, and this is all expected and accounted for.

I don't know how human beings can continue to function intellectually after they've flatlined, but what do I know? I'm no brain surgeon.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/behind ... eback.html

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/Ken-Wa ... ntial-race

http://articles.businessinsider.com/201 ... -primaries

http://www.montrealgazette.com/mobile/n ... story.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=jIzooi ... an&f=false

http://www.examiner.com/article/obama-s ... n-existent (Yes, this is the SF Examiner. Right out of the belly of the beast).
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

Droopy Balls wrote:Two weeks before Ronald Reagan creamed Jimmah Carter in the largest landslide in history,

Only in your fantasy land was that the biggest landslide in history. In fact, Reagan won by a much bigger margin in 1984 over Mondale. And Nixon's victory over McGovern in 1972 was bigger. As was Johnson's defeat of Goldwater in 1964. You have a right to your own opinions, Droopsie, but you don't have a right to your own facts.
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Bond James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond James Bond »

Equality wrote:
Droopy Balls wrote:Two weeks before Ronald Reagan creamed Jimmah Carter in the largest landslide in history,

Only in your fantasy land was that the biggest landslide in history. In fact, Reagan won by a much bigger margin in 1984 over Mondale. And Nixon's victory over McGovern in 1972 was bigger. As was Johnson's defeat of Goldwater in 1964. You have a right to your own opinions, Droopsie, but you don't have a right to your own facts.

My favorite was the 1820 election where Monroe beat Quincy Adams 231 to 1.

(Love the Saul Goodman avatar! Better Call Saul!)
Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded.-charity 3/7/07

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.
_krose
_Emeritus

Post by _krose »

Good grief, Droop. Do you just throw out a bunch of links and assume no one is going to look at them? Hell, one of them was even from October 2008, telling how McCain was hoping to pull out a Reagan-style comeback and win. But I notice none of them showed the secret internal polling data you claim to know about.

We all know that it's still early, and that anything can happen in the next 90 days. That makes your assurances of a Romney landslide all the more delusional.

Anyone who was paying attention at the time knows that the 1980 race went back and forth, and that Reagan made his final surge after the debate in October. But you just claimed that Carter was way ahead right before the election, then pasted in some links that show that wasn't the case. What are you high on tonight?

Here is a quote from one of them:
But a review of the late 1980 polls shows that while Reagan soared over the final week (following the campaign's one and only debate on Oct. 29), the contest up until that point was tightly competitive, not trending toward the incumbent Democratic president.

At this point in 1980 (summer), Reagan was ahead 45 to 29 (this image was also in one of your links):

I don't know what will happen on November 6, but one thing I know for sure. Obama is no Carter, and Romney certainly is no Reagan.
"The DNA of fictional populations appears to be the most susceptible to extinction." - Simon Southerton
_palerobber
_Emeritus

Post by _palerobber »

Equality wrote:

also, Obama won a bigger share of the vote in 2008 than Reagan did in 1980.
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

The 1980 election was an electoral landslide for Reagan, but was not even in the top 5 biggest electoral landslides in U.S. history:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_landslide_victories#United_States
Presidential elections in the United States are indirect; they are not determined by the "popular vote", but by the Electoral College. Each state is allocated as many "electors" as it has Senators and Representatives in the United States Congress, and, at present, all states but Nebraska and Maine hold a "winner take all" vote, in which the winner of the popular vote in a state wins all electoral votes the state is eligible to cast (Nebraska and Maine give two electoral votes to the winner of the state and one electoral vote to the winner of each congressional district within the state.). This allows for candidates to win 50 plus 1 votes and get 100% of the electoral votes.

For this reason, many presidential victories appear to be huge landslide victories when examining the electoral vote, but much less so when examining the popular vote; for example, in the 1980 election, Ronald Reagan won 90.9% of the electoral vote but 50.7% of the popular vote to Jimmy Carter's 41.0%.

1920 - the greatest percentage point margin in the popular vote (Harding 60.3% to Cox 34.1%).
1936 - the greatest electoral votes difference between winner and opponent (Roosevelt 523 to Landon 8).
1808 - the highest percentage for winner (James Madison 64.7%).
1984 - the highest number of electoral votes (Reagan 525).
1789 and 1792 - the highest percentage of Electoral College Votes (100% - George Washington was the only president to win a unanimous Electoral College victory. Washington received the maximum possible electoral votes in both the 1789 and 1792 election.)

Popular votes
Lyndon Johnson's 61.1% to Barry Goldwater's 38.5% in the 1964 presidential election
Franklin D. Roosevelt's 60.8% to Alf Landon's 36.5% in the 1936 presidential election
Richard Nixon's 60.7% to George McGovern's 37.5% in the 1972 presidential election
Warren Harding's 60.3% to James M. Cox's 34.1% in the 1920 presidential election
Ronald Reagan's 58.8% to Walter Mondale's 40.6% in the 1984 presidential election
Theodore Roosevelt's 56.4% to Alton B. Parker's 37.6% in the 1904 presidential election

Electoral votes
James Monroe's 231 electoral votes to John Quincy Adams's 1 electoral vote in 1820. (99.2% margin)
Franklin D. Roosevelt's 523 electoral votes to Alf Landon's 8 electoral votes in 1936. (97% margin)
Ronald Reagan's 525 electoral votes to Walter Mondale's 13 electoral votes in 1984. (95.2% margin)
Richard Nixon's 520 electoral votes to George McGovern's 17 electoral votes and John Hospers's 1 in 1972. (93.3% margin)
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Joey
_Emeritus

Post by _Joey »

What! No Bosco?

What happened to all the experts on labor, capital, and CPI investments.  Did not mean to raise the bar out of reach, really. Sounds like even Graham deserted his deserted island 
:-).  Who repaired the ship!!!!

It's beautiful up here. 87 Opus and a Cohiba at Stein Ericsson(sp?)  Ya'll got the best summertime retreat here.  

Well at least come up to Snowbird tomorrow to see the finish of a great hill climb.  No politics - just efforts of desire!!
"It's not so much that FARMS scholarship in the area Book of Mormon historicity is "rejected' by the secular academic community as it is they are "ignored". [Daniel Peterson, May, 2004]