Can Mia really get "Love" from Utah?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Joey
_Emeritus

Can Mia really get "Love" from Utah?

Post by _Joey »

I'm also curious to hear from those in Utah.  

There was a thread started on your other board up there asking if this Mia Love, a sudden star at the GOP convention, was electable from Utah.

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/588 ... u-in-utah/

Looks like it got locked down pretty quick.

Also looks like Peterson is blogging all about her - probably to promote this recent diversity record in his Church!!!

As a conservative, I support those willing to go to DC and come to grips with our fiscal apocalypse and so I would love to see this woman take away a seat from the liberal side of the aisle.

But my real question is:  Does anyone in Utah believe an African American woman can be supported and eventually elected to congress from Utah?  Would Peterson and his peer group up there actually vote for her?  Is he just using her sudden fame to promote the church?  Does she have any chance to beat Mathesson?

No dog in this fight - just curious how she is really playing in Utah.
"It's not so much that FARMS scholarship in the area Book of Mormon historicity is "rejected' by the secular academic community as it is they are "ignored". [Daniel Peterson, May, 2004]
_3sheets2thewind
_Emeritus

Re: Can Mia really get "Love" from Utah?

Post by _3sheets2thewind »

DCP would arrogantly claim any cause his own, if only that cause that allowed provided him an opportunity for him to stroke his own ego.
_KevinSim
_Emeritus

Post by _KevinSim »

Joey wrote:But my real question is:  Does anyone in Utah believe an African American woman can be supported and eventually elected to congress from Utah?  Would Peterson and his peer group up there actually vote for her?  Is he just using her sudden fame to promote the church?  Does she have any chance to beat Mathesson?

I think there's a very good chance Mia can be elected to congress from Utah. She shares values with the LDS community at large, and therefore there's a good chance that community will elect her.
KevinSim

Reverence the eternal.
_Bond James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond James Bond »

http://www.scribd.com/doc/101671893/UT- ... -July-2012

Here's a month old poll that gives it to the Democrat Matheson 51-33 over Love.

Even with that poll some other pollsters and political website have it as a tossup.

Hard to say how the district voted historically because Utah redistricted after gaining a Congressional seat after the 2010 census.
Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded.-charity 3/7/07

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

Joey wrote:As a conservative, I support those willing to go to DC and come to grips with our fiscal apocalypse and so I would love to see this woman take away a seat from the liberal side of the aisle.

But my real question is:  Does anyone in Utah believe an African American woman can be supported and eventually elected to congress from Utah?  Would Peterson and his peer group up there actually vote for her?  Is he just using her sudden fame to promote the church?  Does she have any chance to beat Mathesson?

1. I agree that the U.S. has serious fiscal problems. However, I do not agree with the unstated premise that parroting Tea Party talking points----like Mia Love does----equates to "coming to grips with our fiscal apocalypse." I also disagree that Jim Matheson significantly represents "the liberal side of the aisle."

2. Another way of asking this question is whether being a black woman (she's from Haiti, not technically an "African American") would affect people in Utah being willing to vote for her. No, I do not believe the people of Utah would refuse to vote for her because of either her sex or her ethnicity. She was elected mayor of Saratoga Springs, which is about as white, conservative, and LDS as it gets.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Racer
_Emeritus

Post by _Racer »

Thank you Darth J. I agree with you. I think your Gen X and Y LDS folks are very welcoming and tolerant of people with multi-racial backgrounds and are respective of females. At least where I live, in Weber County this is the case. Love is not in my district, so I don't have the chance to vote for her, but what is her plan? It's easy to parrot tea party talking points, as Darth J mentioned, but when the rubber hits the road what is your plan? I haven't heard a plan from Love. I am not a Democrat, but I actually like Matheson. If you look at Matheson's record, it is more conservative than liberal even though the UT Repubs try and paint him as left as Barney Frank.
Tapirs... Yeah... That's the ticket!
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Mia Love is a Republican in a newly gerrymandered district. She will win depending on how well the district demographics were sliced. Mitt will bring in at least 96% of all Mormon voters. Mia's only liability is if she is confused as being with Barack Obama by these voters
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Bond James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond James Bond »

Darth J wrote:1. I agree that the U.S. has serious fiscal problems. However, I do not agree with the unstated premise that parroting Tea Party talking points----like Mia Love does----equates to "coming to grips with our fiscal apocalypse." I also disagree that Jim Matheson significantly represents "the liberal side of the aisle."

Let's cut Medicare benefits as a part of balancing the budget and see how the Tea Party feels about fiscal responsibility.
Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded.-charity 3/7/07

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.