Oaks: Almost Good

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Oaks: Almost Good

Post by _sock puppet »

I agree with Oaks that

• children are vulnerable and should not be taken advantage of, in any way, and that they need special care and attention to their needs
  • data does show that children raised by two parents are comparatively better equipped than their peers that have only one parent involved.
  • the percentage of births to unmarried mothers is at a very high rate

I disagree with Oaks that

• marriage is only for procreating and raising children
  • the needs and desires of the man and the woman are not a prime reason for marriage
  • same sex couples that adopt provide no better upbringing than situations where only one parent is involved

Oaks' speech, while laudable in many respects, was a thinly veiled attack on same-sex marriage.
_Tchild
_Emeritus

Re: Oaks: Almost Good

Post by _Tchild »

sock puppet wrote:I agree with Oaks that

• children are vulnerable and should not be taken advantage of, in any way, and that they need special care and attention to their needs
  • data does show that children raised by two parents are comparatively better equipped than their peers that have only one parent involved.
  • the percentage of births to unmarried mothers is at a very high rate

I disagree with Oaks that

• marriage is only for procreating and raising children
  • the needs and desires of the man and the woman are not a prime reason for marriage
  • same sex couples that adopt provide no better upbringing than situations where only one parent is involved

Oaks' speech, while laudable in many respects, was a thinly veiled attack on same-sex marriage.

"Same-sex marriage" is an LDS doctrinal problem only. To the world at large, whether a person is living together in a homosexual relationship, or doing so under a label of being "married" is irrelevant the same way that some astronomers classify 'Pluto' as a planet, while others do not.

War, ethnic strife, starvation, disease, income inequality (mind numbing poverty for 2 billion+), resource depletion (care of our earthly habitat) and a hundred other real and everyday problems and Oaks talks about a boogeyman that potentially undermines LDS doctrinal and its institutional positioning?

Surely, the tens or hundreds of thousands of orphaned, unwanted, neglected and discarded children the world over are furious that two loving people of the same sex are pulling them out of foster homes, from off the streets and sniffing glue, or from state run orphan homes to give them a loving home.

The utter gall of it all!

The fact that Elder Oaks chooses such a mainline Christian Boogeyman, and lazily avoids any topic of real concern shows the nature of institutional religion and of Oaks himself.
_mercyngrace
_Emeritus

Post by _mercyngrace »

Tchild,

Oaks spoke of abuse, neglect, starvation, and poverty, too. He also addressed abortion, adoption, and population decline. He spoke of children being conscripted and being kidnapped and forced into prostitution and sex trades. The talk was essentially about providing for and protecting children and he listed a wide array of issues impacting children and family.

In other words, he didn't avoid topics of real concern. The talk was very broad in scope and included, but was hardly limited to, comments on the makeup of the family.

Cate
"In my more rebellious days I tried to doubt the existence of the sacred, but the universe kept dancing and life kept writing poetry across my life." ~ David N. Elkins, 1998, Beyond Religion, p. 81
_LDSToronto
_Emeritus

Post by _LDSToronto »

mercyngrace wrote:Tchild,

Oaks spoke of abuse, neglect, starvation, and poverty, too. He also addressed abortion, adoption, and population decline. He spoke of children being conscripted and being kidnapped and forced into prostitution and sex trades. The talk was essentially about providing for and protecting children and he listed a wide array of issues impacting children and family.

In other words, he didn't avoid topics of real concern. The talk was very broad in scope and included, but was hardly limited to, comments on the makeup of the family.

Cate

Why do Mormons need to hear about abuse, neglect, starvation and poverty? Or abortion, adoption and population decline? Are these problems amongst the Saints?

H.
"Others cannot endure their own littleness unless they can translate it into meaningfulness on the largest possible level."
~ Ernest Becker
"Whether you think of it as heavenly or as earthly, if you love life immortality is no consolation for death."
~ Simone de Beauvoir
_brade
_Emeritus

Post by _brade »

Tchild wrote:
The fact that Elder Oaks chooses such a mainline Christian Boogeyman, and lazily avoids any topic of real concern shows the nature of institutional religion and of Oaks himself.

+1. It's repulsive to me.
_lulu
_Emeritus

Post by _lulu »

Marriage rights for Lesbians and Gays linked to the child sex trafficing and child soldiers?

Oh hell no.

Just hell no.
"And the human knew the source of life, the woman of him, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, 'I have procreated a man with Yahweh.'" Gen. 4:1, interior quote translated by D. Bokovoy.
_mercyngrace
_Emeritus

Post by _mercyngrace »

LDSToronto wrote:Why do Mormons need to hear about abuse, neglect, starvation and poverty? Or abortion, adoption and population decline? Are these problems amongst the Saints?

H.

It was all in the context of our responsibility to protect children and act for their well-being.

He said "All children are the children of God" and his talk was clearly an invitation to be more proactive in our efforts to protect and care for children everywhere.
"In my more rebellious days I tried to doubt the existence of the sacred, but the universe kept dancing and life kept writing poetry across my life." ~ David N. Elkins, 1998, Beyond Religion, p. 81
_mercyngrace
_Emeritus

Post by _mercyngrace »

lulu wrote:Marriage rights for Lesbians and Gays linked to the child sex trafficing and child soldiers?

Oh hell no.

Just hell no.

To my recollection, he did not link those issues nor where they juxtaposed verbally in any way. They were separate issues, among many others, that impact children.
_Bob Loblaw
_Emeritus

Post by _Bob Loblaw »

mercyngrace wrote:To my recollection, he did not link those issues nor where they juxtaposed verbally in any way. They were separate issues, among many others, that impact children.

He linked them by suggesting that all of them are threats to children. He may have suggested they were different by degree, but not in being of harm to children. I'm not impressed by such rhetoric.
"It doesn't seem fair, does it Norm--that I should have so much knowledge when there are people in the world that have to go to bed stupid every night." -- Clifford C. Clavin, USPS

"¡No contaban con mi astucia!" -- El Chapulin Colorado
_lulu
_Emeritus

Post by _lulu »

mercyngrace wrote:
lulu wrote:Marriage rights for Lesbians and Gays linked to the child sex trafficing and child soldiers?

Oh hell no.

Just hell no.

To my recollection, he did not link those issues nor where they juxtaposed verbally in any way. They were separate issues, among many others, that impact children.

Why are they in the same talk on protecting children?
"And the human knew the source of life, the woman of him, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, 'I have procreated a man with Yahweh.'" Gen. 4:1, interior quote translated by D. Bokovoy.