MDB Haiku

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Equality
_Emeritus

Re: MDB Haiku

Post by _Equality »

Daniel lies again
No contemporaneous
Witnesses' accounts

Brigham seized power
Blindsiding Sidney Rigdon
No one saw Joseph
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Doctor Scratch wrote:LGT is dead.
Sorenson cannot save it;
Attacks Coe instead.

If you starved a goat
And stuffed him into a suit
You would get Greg Smith.

Huffing, out of breath,
Camera shaky--Hamblin
Films two co-eds' butts.

These are all fantastic.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Bret Ripley
_Emeritus

Post by _Bret Ripley »

Chap wrote:
Bret Ripley wrote:... the gendai form of haiku does tend to deviate from the traditional 5-7-5 pattern.

Um, I'll let people in on the secret that gendai just means 'modern'. So gendai haiku are to haiku as modern art is to art ...
Hi Chap! Yep, gendai is a subset of haiku.
I think anybody who does haiku in English is usually expecting to observe the traditional rules -
I agree: this is usually the case. What better place to tweak these expectations than on an informal message board?
the difficulty is seen as an essential part of the interest and pleasure of the form.
Sure, and for my part I have never deviated from the 5-7-5 formula in any of my haiku. But technically it is not "wrong" to deviate from this structure. I think it is more important to concentrate on aspects that contribute "interest and pleasure" -- which is quite gendai of me, I'm sure. I'm no more comfortable sneering at a misshapen haiku than I would be scolding Shelley for flirting with eleven syllables in "Ozymandias". :smile:
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Hi Bret.

Let's put it this way. If we at least demand that posters should make the effort to meet the standards that nearly all English speakers see as defining a haiku (three lines, 5-7-5 pattern), then we shall have a filter that can only be passed by people who are prepared to think a little.

That may make the results just that little bit more interesting that saying "Hey! You can do anything you like, and still call it a haiku".

I mean, what's to stop me saying this is a haiku? Or the entire Book of Mormon is a haiku?

No rules means no game. No game, no fun.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Bret Ripley
_Emeritus

Post by _Bret Ripley »

Chap wrote:I mean, what's to stop me saying this is a haiku? Or the entire Book of Mormon is a haiku?
Your points are well-taken, but I wasn't proposing the sort of free-for-all you imagine.

Consider:

The Book of Mormon
Contains far more syllables
Due to chiasmus

...follows the 5-7-5 formula, but it lacks other qualities typical of haiku.

YMMV, of course, but I'd rather read something clever that misses by a syllable or two than a technical manual written in 5-7-5 form. And with that I've reached my "false dilemma" quota for the week. :smile:

Cheers!
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

But consider this apposite limerick (harder than haiku ...)

There was a young man from Japan
Whose limericks never would scan.
When asked why this was,
He replied “It’s because
I always try to fit as many syllables into the last line as ever possibly I can.

It takes wit to win the right to break the rules ...
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Bret Ripley
_Emeritus

Post by _Bret Ripley »

Chap wrote:But consider this apposite limerick (harder than haiku ...)

When asked why this was,
He replied “It’s because
I always try to fit as many syllables into the last line as ever possibly I can.
That ... is beautiful, man.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Chap wrote:But consider this apposite limerick (harder than haiku ...)

When asked why this was,
He replied “It’s because
That ... is beautiful, man.

Credit it to anon.
Zadok:
Maksutov:
_LDSToronto
_Emeritus

Post by _LDSToronto »

Shades is pedantic
about haiku and spelling
and poo-poos great art.
"Others cannot endure their own littleness unless they can translate it into meaningfulness on the largest possible level."
~ Ernest Becker
"Whether you think of it as heavenly or as earthly, if you love life immortality is no consolation for death."
~ Simone de Beauvoir
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Did Joseph Smith lie?
It's the only true question.
The answer tells all.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.