One of the worst yet telling Ensign articles I ever read

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Re: One of the worst yet telling Ensign articles I ever read

Post by _cinepro »

Let's not forget this gem!

LDS Church News - Use Proper Sources

A woman sat at her dining room table, buried in dozens of books and magazines. She looked discouraged. Her daughter asked if she could help.

The woman said she was preparing a Relief Society lesson. She told her daughter she didn't know how she could possibly "boil down all the information" she had collected for the lesson. The process, the woman acknowledged, was both time consuming and frustrating.

The daughter looked surprised.

"Why," she asked, "are you trying to boil down information? An inspired Church-writing committee has already done that for you."

The committee's work, the daughter continued, has been approved by the Quorum of the Twelve and the First Presidency. It has been translated into dozens of languages and sent around the world. It corresponds with the lessons and information taught at the same time to other auxiliaries and quorums in the Church.

Now the woman looked confused.

"Everything you need — and more — is in your manual," the daughter said.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

And it goes on:

Following the advice of her daughter, the woman above turned off her computer, shut the dozens of books open on her dining room table and picked up her manual and scriptures. The frustration she had previously experienced disappeared. She knew the material was doctrinally accurate. She knew its source was valid. She knew it had been approved by the men called to lead the Lord's work on the earth today and that it was what they wanted her to teach.

I think the underlined portion is quite significant.

The passage also gives us another definition for the Great LDS Dictionary project:

Frustration (n.): the sense of being involved in a process of thought whose outcome is not known in advance. See also apostasy.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Chap wrote:The passage also gives us another definition for the Great LDS Dictionary project:
Frustration (n.): the sense of being involved in a process of thought whose outcome is not known in advance. See also apostasy.

And of course nothing like that sigh of relief and fresh found freedom from stress when that old cog-dis has been sufficiently shelved.
_Willy Law
_Emeritus

Post by _Willy Law »

cinepro wrote:Let's not forget this gem!

LDS Church News - Use Proper Sources

A woman sat at her dining room table, buried in dozens of books and magazines. She looked discouraged. Her daughter asked if she could help.

The woman said she was preparing a Relief Society lesson. She told her daughter she didn't know how she could possibly "boil down all the information" she had collected for the lesson. The process, the woman acknowledged, was both time consuming and frustrating.

The daughter looked surprised.

"Why," she asked, "are you trying to boil down information? An inspired Church-writing committee has already done that for you."

The committee's work, the daughter continued, has been approved by the Quorum of the Twelve and the First Presidency. It has been translated into dozens of languages and sent around the world. It corresponds with the lessons and information taught at the same time to other auxiliaries and quorums in the Church.

Now the woman looked confused.

"Everything you need — and more — is in your manual," the daughter said.

I sent this one to my mom when it came out. It was during the start of my faith crisis and both her and I were teaching at the time so we would often call each other during the week and talk about the lesson for the upcoming Sunday. I used a lot of outside sources to make my lessons a little more interesting and I told her how discouraged I was by this article and by my church leader telling me to only use the lesson manual after I read a story from Bushman during one of my lessons. My Mom told me this did not upset her at all. Somehow she read this story to mean that it was intended for beginning teachers who did not know the basics and that experienced teachers could absolutely use outside sources. Wonder if she has gotten the message yet.
It is my province to teach to the Church what the doctrine is. It is your province to echo what I say or to remain silent.
Bruce R. McConkie
_annie
_Emeritus

Post by _annie »

BS. No-one has ever spoken that line of dialogue. Ever.
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Fence Sitter wrote:"Studying" . Another word to add to the Mormon dictionary.

studying = reading the brochure

Brochures are advertising pieces mainly used to introduce a company or organization, and inform about products and/or services to a target audience.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... lguide.png

picture...
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Dr. Peterson once told me that Submit, Comply and Obey were not the three LDS virtues. We are a people with the agency to be awake if we choose.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Racer
_Emeritus

Post by _Racer »

moksha wrote:Dr. Peterson once told me that Submit, Comply and Obey were not the three LDS virtues. We are a people with the agency to be awake if we choose.

I think the good Dr. is correct. The three LDS virtues are actually Pay, Pray, and Obey? :wink:
Tapirs... Yeah... That's the ticket!
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

moksha wrote:Dr. Peterson once told me that Submit, Comply and Obey were not the three LDS virtues. We are a people with the agency to be awake if we choose.

Just don't teach to others or share publically about your awaking or we will excommunicate you.
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

ludwigm wrote:
Fence Sitter wrote:"Studying" . Another word to add to the Mormon dictionary.

studying = reading the brochure

Brochures are advertising pieces mainly used to introduce a company or organization, and inform about products and/or services to a target audience.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... lguide.png

picture...

Actually, within Mormonism 'Studying' = Believing the brochure.
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator