Mormons liked Bush better than Romney

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

http://politics.gather.com/viewArticle. ... 4981752001

So much for the Mormons rising up for Romney! The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) was widely believed by democrats to be pushing its members to vote for fellow member Mitt Romney in the recent presidential election. The truth is, the Church doesn't endorse candidates and they certainly don't suggest who its members should vote for. That practice didn't pay off for Romney on Election Day. In 2004, George W. Bush gained 80 percent of the LDS vote while Romney only received 78 percent last week. However, The Salt Lake Tribune says, "Statistically speaking, that means Romney broke even with past Mormon performance." Still, surprising results given that Romney is LDS. Quin Monson, a political scientist at Brigham Young University said, "When it comes down to the actual vote, party was more important than any sort of tribal affinity for Romney."

Also surprising were the stats on white evangelical votes for Romney, 79 percent voted for him. They are the same group who have typically thought of Saints as "non-Christian" or "cultish". Mark DeMoss, a senior adviser to the Romney campaign and the guy who tried to bridge the gap with the evangelicals said, "Several years ago I would have been pessimistic that could be achieved. A lot of us tried to encourage evangelicals to consider common values and not common theology. The more we talked about common values the more comfortable evangelicals became." Evidence of that came when soon after meeting with Romney, evangelical leader Billy Graham removed the LDS Church from its websites list of cults. There was a lot of backlash about the move, but it clearly helped. The question is, will it stay off the list now that the election is over?

DeMoss pointed out that some Church members align more with LDS member and democrat Harry Reid. Those members are definitely the minority. Reid stands for so many things contrary to the teachings of the Church. Romney once told DeMoss, "You know what, there are Mormons I wouldn't vote for and there are Mormons who wouldn't vote for me." 90 percent of LDS Church members in Utah voted for Romney, again proving they are more conservative. President Obama benefited from a religious group of voters as well, black Protestants. Back in 2004, John Kerry got 86 percent of their votes, but Obama got 94 percent in 2008 and 95 percent this time around.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Re: Mormons liked Bush better than Romney

Post by _Brackite »

In 2000, George W. Bush received 66.8% of the votes in Utah. He won all of the Counties there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... Utah,_2000

In 2004, George W. Bush received 71.5% of the votes in Utah. He won all of the Counties there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... Utah,_2004

In 2008, John McCain received 62.3% of the votes in Utah. He did not win all of the Counties there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... Utah,_2008

In this recent election, Mitt Romney received 72.75% of the votes in Utah. He won all of the Counties there.
http://electionresults.utah.gov/xmlData/300000.html

Of course not all Mormons live in Utah, but Utah does have the highest percentage of Mormons than any other States in the Nation.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

Bush was decent but could have been better. At no time was he responsible for any economic downturns.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

bcspace wrote:Bush was decent but could have been better. At no time was he responsible for any economic downturns.

:rolleyes: Two unfunded wars would pretty much do it.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Uther
_Emeritus

Post by _Uther »

bcspace wrote:Bush was decent but could have been better. At no time was he responsible for any economic downturns.

It appears that your skills to analyse reliogious and political topics are at the same level.
About Joseph Smith.. How do you think his persona was influenced by being the storyteller since childhood? Mastering the art of going pale, changing his voice, and mesmerizing his audience.. How do you think he was influenced by keeping secrets and lying for his wife and the church members for decades?
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Wonder if the fact that Romney was Mormon entered into their decision making.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

Hmmm...I thought showing an interest in Bush was prohibited within Mormonism...at least until after marriage...
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Uther wrote:

It appears that your skills to analyse reliogious and political topics are at the same level.

This has been apparent for some time, and that level could hardly be lower.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

bcspace wrote:Bush was decent but could have been better.
Is decent a synonym of stupid in his case?

Bush could have been more decent.
More stupid? I don't know...
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

ludwigm wrote:
bcspace wrote:Bush was decent but could have been better.
Is decent a synonym of stupid in his case?

Bush could have been more decent.
More stupid? I don't know...

I recall Mr Bush explaining on camera that the US invasion of Iraq had been based on 'faulty intelligence'.

Yes indeed. But not quite the way he meant it, I think.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.